Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyguy

Level 43
I'm not a fan of Avast, but I do like the new AVG a lot which apparently shares a lot in common now eh? Anyway, I wanted to share a real-world case-study observation about Avast.

Avast 'free' was deployed at an organization with 125 workers in a 50/50 distributed environment. 50% of the Avast systems were at a single location, behind a normal cable firm router. The other 50% were external, distributed over a 50 mile geographical area with various cable providers and cable provided modems. No other security features were implemented, all windows systems were stock other than Avast installed. Technical level of all users should be considered BELOW average. All machines were used on a daily basis for email, microsoft office and general web surfing. Avast was SET TO DEFAULT on all systems. DNS was default to the ISP. Chrome was the primary browser used, with uBlock(default) on them.

These systems were left unattended by IT professionals and under daily use for 3 years. At the end of 3 years a remote diagnostic and logging tool was installed on each system and they were examined. The results were pretty impressive, of the 125 systems, none of them exhibited any symptoms of malware. Of those, about 20 had some sort of low-grade PUP such as a coupon printer or bad chrome extension. I cannot provide documentation of the case study for liability reasons.

However I felt this was an impressive display by Avast/AVG under real world conditions. I see a lot of case studies and real world performance results, this was one of the better/best results, especially so in terms of free products.

Slyguy

Level 43
Admin access for those 125 workers aswell?
Roughly between 4-8 people accessed each system with about 50% being admin and 50% being standard user accounts, give or take a couple in each direction. So for example at one location there might be 6 users, with 2 of those being site supervisors with full admin, and 4 of them being standard.

But our metrics showed, the admin accounts were used 90% more than the standard user accounts because they were usually the supervisors at the sites, and they were usually at the desk.

Nightwalker

Level 20
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Avast! and AVG are almost the same product now, so if you like one of them the other will please just fine.

How are you deploying Avast free at a organization? Isnt it against EULA?

I am curious, are you the user "Mayahana"/"Doctor PC"? Your posts are really similar ...

Slyguy

Level 43
Avast! and AVG are almost the same product now, so if you like one of them the other will please just fine.

How are you deploying Avast free at a organization? Isnt it against EULA?

I am curious, are you the user "Mayahana"/"Doctor PC"? Your posts are really similar ...
Wasn't the firm where I work, it was a case study given to us by an IT firm that was bringing this company into compliance and I thought it was very interesting. You are correct, Avast free was being misused by the company but since they were in a mostly distributed environment they've skated past getting in trouble.

Prorootect

Level 53
Verified
"decent AV" - hmmm - it's to discute:

- why almost all those who were infected by viruses, just had their Avast antivirus defense, please? over the years...
we all saw this

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Malware Tester
It's just a shame that Avast track the hell out of their users. User data covers Free Avast. I saw a post on another forum where a guy had been using Avast with data sharing disabled and his tracking protection went mad, but, lets face it - Most tech companies track users in one way or another.

On another note I set Avast free up on 3 people's systems just over a year ago and all 3 where click happy. I recently gave their systems the once over and all they had was as you describe above - A few minor PUP's.

ZeroDay

Level 29
Verified
Malware Tester
Simply missed by Avast or user wasn't aware about it from a software update or install?

Unchecky.com might be a light addition. See if it helps and check at their next PC check-up?
Unchecky was installed. It was more than likely user error. I've left them to maintain their own systems now.. They seemed to be well suited to Avast although one of them has purchased a KIS license and it now using that. Avast did a really good job though, as I said these particular people are click happy so all round good job by Avast.

Flak

Level 1
Folks keep saying Avast and AVG are pretty much the same product now with AVG being the lesser of the two. Yet I consistently get better ransomware test results with AVG over Avast. In any case, barring the misuse of the free product (lol), I'm surprised Avast did so well at default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.