SeriousHoax

Level 13
Verified
Malware Tester
Only kaspersky does the same thing, selling its user data to advertisers
I doubt Kaspersky is the only one. Bitdefender probably does something similar with their TrafficLight extension and maybe even with their free AV. Anyway, I don't know for sure so anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: venustus

RejZoR

Level 12
Verified
The reason why avast! collects so much data is context. If you just detect one thing, you have no idea from where and how it got to that point. And having wider context is a key to fighting phishing, malware and fraud unfortunately. You need to know how user got to that point. Just being there doesn't tell you much if anything.

SeriousHoax

Level 13
Verified
Malware Tester
The reason why avast! collects so much data is context. If you just detect one thing, you have no idea from where and how it got to that point. And having wider context is a key to fighting phishing, malware and fraud unfortunately. You need to know how user got to that point. Just being there doesn't tell you much if anything.
I said in a previous comment that sometimes it's necessary to collect some data which is fine. But identifying each user with an unique id, keeping their records, selling that data to a third party aren't what an antivirus should do.