avast! Optimal Protection settings by RejZoR

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've been offering "pre-cooked" configuration file for avast! Antivirus for few years now with my own settings that I think are far better than default ones that come with avast! out of the box.
It provides better experience, better protection and it's easy to use. It's just a matter of 2 clicks to import the settings and you're ready.

Main goal of my configuration:

Main goal of my customized avast! configuration is to provide the least intrusive experience with maximum protection, performance and privacy. It is as simple as that.

How to apply:
Make sure avast! is installed properly (otherwise the configuration file won't work!). Download the above ZIP file, unpack it and double click the contained file. System restart is recommended for all the changes to be applied properly. That's it, no further user interaction is required.

LINK TO MY ALWAYS UP TO DATE PAGE:
avast! 17 Protection Tweaks

I'm linking to my blog because I keep that always up-to-date so I don't have to update 30 trillion forum threads everywhere on every update.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Make sure avast! is installed properly (otherwise the configuration file won’t work!).

What would that be (all default)?
I just install Avast (custom settings - picture down) and try to apply your config but id didn't do anything.

Clipboard01.jpg

Is this OK or..?

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've been offering "pre-cooked" configuration file for avast! Antivirus for few years now with my own settings that I think are far better than default ones that come with avast! out of the box.
It provides better experience, better protection and it's easy to use. It's just a matter of 2 clicks to import the settings and you're ready.

Main goal of my configuration:

Main goal of my customized avast! configuration is to provide the least intrusive experience with maximum protection, performance and privacy. It is as simple as that.

How to apply:
Make sure avast! is installed properly (otherwise the configuration file won't work!). Download the above ZIP file, unpack it and double click the contained file. System restart is recommended for all the changes to be applied properly. That's it, no further user interaction is required.

LINK TO MY ALWAYS UP TO DATE PAGE:
avast! 17 Protection Tweaks

I'm linking to my blog because I keep that always up-to-date so I don't have to update 30 trillion forum threads everywhere on every update.
thanks, I bookmarked your wordpress page

Reactions: vemn and XhenEd

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Thanks for sharing.

I only keep High Heuristics for Smart Scan (on-demand) to minimise the risk of any FP from the real-time scanner. Is this advisable?

I've had it set to High heuristics since version 5 when they first introduced them and I haven't had a single false positive in all the years.

Make sure avast! is installed properly (otherwise the configuration file won’t work!).

What would that be (all default)?
I just install Avast (custom settings - picture down) and try to apply your config but id didn't do anything.

View attachment 137849

Is this OK or..?

View attachment 137852

It was initially bugged, but they released a fix, but it apparently hasn't reached all the users yet. It really sucks they messed this up for release, because I had the config file ready on day 1 but have seen no point in releasing it if no one can import it. Mine apparently already updated recently, but there are still some systems which don't have the latest build (not version, but build!).

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, there is one fix which is bit dumb until you receive the new update. Download the version 2016 config file I also provide archived and run it. But just run it and close it. No need to actually import anything. Then start the new avast! 17 config. It'll miraculously show the options to import.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Well, there is one fix which is bit dumb until you receive the new update. Download the version 2016 config file I also provide archived and run it. But just run it and close it. No need to actually import anything. Then start the new avast! 17 config. It'll miraculously show the options to import.

Like this:
Clipboard01.jpg

Now looks OK.

Reactions: vemn and XhenEd

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
PUP's are only enabled for On-Demand scans. It's nothing worse than installer getting broken because of interruption when avast! detects PUP during installation and messes up the installer. PUP's should only be revealed to user when on-demand scan is done and user can then decide if he wants to keep them or not. Been using such system for years and it works great. PUP's are annoyance, they aren't malicious. All the actual malware is still detected as usual.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Can someone re-check this? Is importing of settings working fine now with new version, build 2288 ?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can someone re-check this? Is importing of settings working fine now with new version, build 2288 ?
yes the problem is still there.
temporarily fixed by importing a setting file from v12 -> cancel -> importing setting file from 2017 will show up

Reactions: BugCode

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
That's so weird. It's working fine on my PC. But only on this PC. So bizarre.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Ok, I've talked with avast! staff yesterday, they now have this logged in their bug tracker. Not sure how high it is on the priority scale though...

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Forgot to post it here, the bug with not shown settings in the dialog has been long fixed. It now works as expected.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Forgot to post it here, the bug with not shown settings in the dialog has been long fixed. It now works as expected.
I confirm it has NOT been fixed at least for me. I tried the latest stable version 17.4.2294 less than a week ago and the bug still persisted

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've just re-uploaded new config based on new version, for new version, so it should finally work fine. Looks like old config file was also broken somehow.

Please try and and report how it goes. I had this as confirmed fixed, but I haven't updated the config file, so that might be the reason.

Reactions: AtlBo