Battle Avast Premier vs. F-Secure Safe

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I have a 11-year subscription to Avast Premier, and F-Secure SAFE (5 devices) for 1 year subscription.

Please don't mind the time subscription I have for Avast. What I am after is the lightness and efficiency of the product. I have one gripe for Avast: the GUI is slow to load. But Avast has boot scan.

Yet, FSafe has parental controls and its GUI loads fast. Avast takes some time to load upon system startup, but FSafe loads almost instantly. But both seem to be light when fully loaded.

Thanks for your thoughts.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Do you wanna install your antivirus on an older hdd or a modern ssd?

i think with a ssd you don't feel any difference between both. Otherwise F-secure could be lighter.
I would go with avast...very good antivirus and offers stronger protection with tweaks

but yes, the GUI from avast lags terrible

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Do you wanna install your antivirus on an older hdd or a modern ssd?

i think with a ssd you don't feel any difference between both. Otherwise F-secure could be lighter.
I would go with avast...very good antivirus and offers stronger protection with tweaks

HDD :) Yes, I noticed that F-Secure could be lighter, but only tested it for one hour because the antivirus component always crash, have to do reboots and reboots. Maybe I have not fully uninstalled Avast, so F-Secure won't install correctly.

But, Avast should be lighter because it is more cloud-based than F-Secure that uses BitDefender engine.

Well, since you're 11 years old from Avast Premier.
I'd try F-Secure SAFE because it's only for 1 year. And you still have 10 years of Avast left.

Thought about that too :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Avast provide better real-time protection but f-secure has better privacy and decent web protection! I vote for F-Secure! Avast is a buggy product.not to mention how bad their forum and support is!

You said F-Secure has decent web protection...is it better than Avast's Web Filter?

How is Avast buggy aside from the UI?

Thanks

Reactions: Weebarra

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
is it better
Much Much better than Avast.
Isn't GUI important?! I don't like buggy Gui... if you search the Avast forum then you will find bugs that are alive since 1 year ago and Avast refused to fix them.Avsat cant even shows you the malicious URL that blocked by real-time web-filtering!! you have to dig through logs to find what was that URL!!( idk if they fix it? )

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Much Much better than Avast.
Isn't GUI important?! I don't like buggy Gui... if you search the Avast forum then you will find bugs that are alive since 1 year ago and Avast refused to fix them.Avsat cant even shows you the malicious URL that blocked by real-time web-filtering!! you have to dig through logs to find what was that URL!!( idk if they fix it? )
Ok, pls confirm me, is F-Secure really lighter on CPU and HDD than Avast? Thanks.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Wow! F-secure would like to uninstall my Shadow Defender! But, can I later reinstall Shadow Defender after installing F-Secure? Will that cause no issues?

Reactions: Weebarra

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
In this topic you can see that antivirus software is almost like religions. One of them will say, "This s*cks!" and the other "Take this software!".
None of you know that the Bitdefender engine is the engine with the most critical bugs.
But the GUI is of course more important! Okay, fun on the side.
What prevents you from using Microsoft Defender? Hard disk access would of course increase, but AV software is not designed to make your computer faster. If your computer is just too weak for Defender, you need to upgrade it. Sooner or later the moment will come anyway.
Defender is easy to upgrade. You can either add Hard_Configurator (it enables the best-est-est-est cloud protection: SmartScreen) or Dr. Web KATANA if you are a beginner. And yes, support is included with the purchase of Katana (you pay for the support for one year ~5$ but you can uncheck it and save this money if you want).
Just choose one of the two (Avast or F-Secure). I don't care about that. I gave you my recommendation.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Now using F-Secure... During updates of the Aquarius Engine (BitDefender?), noticing slowdown of system. Overall, seems light too. Will observe for a week if it becomes totally optimized for my system.

GUI is much faster to load and fancy to the eyes :) Though less less options to tweak :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.