Battle Avast Premier vs. F-Secure Safe

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I have a 11-year subscription to Avast Premier, and F-Secure SAFE (5 devices) for 1 year subscription.

Please don't mind the time subscription I have for Avast. What I am after is the lightness and efficiency of the product. I have one gripe for Avast: the GUI is slow to load. But Avast has boot scan.

Yet, FSafe has parental controls and its GUI loads fast. Avast takes some time to load upon system startup, but FSafe loads almost instantly. But both seem to be light when fully loaded.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I tried F-Secure a few weeks ago but on installation it insisted, with no option I remove all other security programs & one was Zemana, I didn't get any further than that as I do believe in layered security (rightly or wrong) which was a pity as I liked it a few years ago.

Reactions: bribon77

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i would recommend zemana antimalware if you don't wanna use a second protection layer like voodoo shield or comodo firewall.
Zemana Antimalware is easy to use...the big advantage.
I use zemana from time to time with with pandora cloud and realtime protection. But not sure if these options are included in the free version....i have a lifetime license.
In our malwarehub is a good combo....zemana antimalware with kaspersky free....the results are very impressive (y)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
pup detection was enabled @ avast? my advice for you is this ->

AdwCleaner

you can do every weeks a quick scan with this little nice program from malwarebytes.

Yeah, PUP detection was enabled. Actually I downloaded a crack from Torrent to activate something but it wasn't a good one for it was bundled with trojans, adware, and a rootkit. I disabled AVAST totally to activate something, and thankfully, it blocked the rootkit. Trojans and adwares were installed. After some scans and cleaning, Avast could no longer detect something. I'm sure no exclusions were set for these. I really thought Avast did the cleaning perfectly. But, to my surprise, F-Secure detected three... coming from those that were detected also by Avast..

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Been using F-SECURE for one day. Very fast loading on boot startup, fast and responsive GUI. No boot scan, universal protection for browsers yet still offers additional extensions, average speed for scans, very good detections, very little options to tweak.

However, during signature updates significant drag on the system, unlike Avast with its streaming updates you won't feel anything. I'll keep on using it for the month.

Reactions: amico81

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I have a question... Can't find a support ticket to F-Secure support page :(

This website and a website from sourceforge do not show correctly, even if I put them in Allowed sites. They are not blocked, but the content is shown as trash. Here's the site: Home

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
I have a question... Can't find a support ticket to F-Secure support page :(

This website and a website from sourceforge do not show correctly, even if I put them in Allowed sites. They are not blocked, but the content is shown as trash. Here's the site: Home
They only have phone support and chat support for home products, click the blue "Do you have a question?"-button in the bottom-right corner for chat support. Contact F-Secure support | F-Secure

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
This is what happen when you have too much options.

They both are great. Use any one of them and you are good.

But I will never recommended you to install something by turning on the antivirus and then blame the antivirus for it.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Thanks everyone! I am now using Emsisoft that is better than both Avast and F-Secure, protection wise.

I miss the Parental Controls though in F-SECURE

Reactions: FrFc1908

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Wow! F-secure would like to uninstall my Shadow Defender! But, can I later reinstall Shadow Defender after installing F-Secure? Will that cause no issues?

Fsecure installer always " issues " and " conflict " with other security products like zemana , spywareblaster and others , while are supposed and enginered to work alongside other av / security products. I have mentioned this on the official fsecure suport forum. This is the main reason that I have ditched fsecure , which i get free from isp in favor of a paid bullguard is license. Fsecure is heavier on my system and more unpredictable on my machine atleast, but then again avast premier feels more heavy than avast is.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You've got a point on Avast's GUI problem. On high ends machine took place as well in my case. Still, it's a great product worth the use.

To start with, i would recommend taking a complete read on this thread: How to choose "the best antivirus"?

Then, you'd understand it pretty much depends on your habits how safe you are and not on the software you use. Nevertheless, i'd give my point to Avast, since F-Secure's false positive issue is a dangerous fact.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.