Less than 30 days
Computer hardware
See configuration for details
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall Rating
4.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

McMcbrad

Level 10
If you have a look at this thread:

AVG blocked all malware with the web blocker layer, so even though some was not stopped by standard AV (some samples had 2/69 detection on VirusTotal), protection was still achieved.

sepik

Level 10
Hello,

I just installed trial version of Avast Premium. After installing i ran Wifi Inspection scan(vulnerability scan). My SEP IDS gone mad:

Intrusion Prevention [SID: 28015] Web Attack: Allegro RomPager CVE-2014-9222 attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 29634] Web Attack: ZyNOS Information Disclosure attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 31264] Attack: Netgear Router Path Traversal Activity attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 30413] Web Attack: Passwd File Download Attempt attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 27907] OS Attack: GNU Bash CVE-2014-6271 attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 27907] OS Attack: GNU Bash CVE-2014-6271 attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 28015] Web Attack: Allegro RomPager CVE-2014-9222 attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 29634] Web Attack: ZyNOS Information Disclosure attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 31264] Attack: Netgear Router Path Traversal Activity attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE
Intrusion Prevention [SID: 30413] Web Attack: Passwd File Download Attempt attack blocked. Traffic has been blocked for this application: C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVAST SOFTWARE\AVAST\AVASTSVC.EXE

Maybe because Avast is checkin router vulnerability etc stuff like that.

Thanks to @McMcbrad for the great review!

Kind regards,
-sepik

McMcbrad

Level 10
Hello,

I just installed trial version of Avast Premium. After installing i ran Wifi Inspection scan(vulnerability scan). My SEP IDS gone mad:

Maybe because Avast is checkin router vulnerability etc stuff like that.

Thanks to @McMcbrad for the great review!

Kind regards,
-sepik
Yes, it happened to me and I made a thread “Bitdefender has IPS-like dunctionality”. They try to exploit some known vulnerabilities as part of their check.

Freud2004

Level 5
As you know I am a fun boy off Kaspersky, but my mom have an old laptop and it's more than enough for her. Her laptop still run Windows Vista, and Kaspersky don't support more W. Vista, so I install Avast (Avast Antivirus is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP SP3).
And so far it's doing a good job, she is the worth user in the world. Until now, Avast is working good and doing a good job.

McMcbrad

Level 10
CPU and disk usage during deep scan

Screenshot (17).png

1605982444041.png

23*60 = 1380 seconds runtime
190.1 GB *1024 = 194662.4 MB
194662.4 / 1380 = 141 MB per second, average scan speed

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 57
Verified
I would probably run Avast Free but the last time I tried that product like 2 years ago it showed so many pop-up ads, it got really annoying after a while.
Then try AVG. As @McMcbrad said, it has hardly any. As I posted on @Thales config thread, block AVGUI.exe via firewall and you won't see nags on the settings page. Same engine, same product, simple and clean UI. They really cleaned up their act after the Jumpshot episode.

Though I do find that Bitdefender Free runs better on my machine with HDD.

McMcbrad

Level 10
Then try AVG. As @McMcbrad said, it has hardly any. As I posted on @Thales config thread, block AVGUI.exe via firewall and you won't see nags on the settings page. Same engine, same product, simple and clean UI. They really cleaned up their act after the Jumpshot episode.

Though I do find that Bitdefender Free runs better on my machine with HDD.
You can turn off "scan files on writing" for example and let it scan only on open and execution, if you are not a happy clicker :D

SeriousHoax

Level 32
Verified
I used to love AVG a lot. I remember back in the day some years ago when I didn't have much knowledge about computer security, I saw an AV lab report. Probably AV-Comparatives report and AVG got something like 91 or even less 87% something while many other popular products received more than 95-99%. I was a bit disappointed but at the end of it I was like, it's OK. I still love you 😘😂
AVG was the first AV that I installed by myself. Maybe that's why I had a spot for it. But never went back to it for personal usage after Avast acquired them. I always hated Avast. But with Avast + AVG technology combined and with the recent snapshot debacle behind it, it's looking very good again. It can also be configured not to delete threats automatically which could be a useful feature for some advanced users. I also happen to absolutely love this green + grey color scheme.

McMcbrad

Level 10
I used to love AVG a lot. I remember back in the day some years ago when I didn't have much knowledge about computer security, I saw an AV lab report. Probably AV-Comparatives report and AVG got something like 91 or even less 87% something while many other popular products received more than 95-99%. I was a bit disappointed but at the end of it I was like, it's OK. I still love you 😘😂
AVG was the first AV that I installed by myself. Maybe that's why I had a spot for it. But never went back to it for personal usage after Avast acquired them. I always hated Avast. But with Avast + AVG technology combined and with the recent snapshot debacle behind it, it's looking very good again. It can also be configured not to delete threats automatically which could be a useful feature for some advanced users. I also happen to absolutely love this green + grey color scheme.
I've said in another places that my first ever infection was with the trojan.zlob and fake AVs. Trojan.Zlob was sending notifications "You have spyware", so I typed spyware removal and found a product called "AVG Anti-Spyware", which was actually Ewido Anti-Spyware (AVG had just acquired them 1-2 years ago). I then downloaded and installed a full product AVG 7. It's UI colour scheme looked like a newspaper :D
I remember then AVG 8 coming out and it was an amazing product. I've always used AVG actually, until few years ago, when I started to test and change.

SeriousHoax

Level 32
Verified
I've said in another places that my first ever infection was with the trojan.zlob and fake AVs. Trojan.Zlob was sending notifications "You have spyware", so I typed spyware removal and found a product called "AVG Anti-Spyware", which was actually Ewido Anti-Spyware (AVG had just acquired them 1-2 years ago). I then downloaded and installed a full product AVG 7. It's UI colour scheme looked like a newspaper :D
I remember then AVG 8 coming out and it was an amazing product. I've always used AVG actually, until few years ago, when I started to test and change.
Haha. I also remember the AVG 7 UI and the change they made in version 8. Good old days.

Nightwalker

Level 21
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator

Ouch, this made me feel old, I still remember how some Ewido users were angry and disappointed with this acquisition, good piece of software in its time.

McMcbrad

Level 10
Haha. I also remember the AVG 7 UI and the change they made in version 8. Good old days.
As I said in the review, in 8.5 they added a behavioural blocker. I loved working with it, because you could browse the running processes and it had like a rating.
It was saying:
Installs hooks, spoofs windows processes, has/has no visible window and things like these. I learned the basics of behavioural blocking from it actually. I believe I've been 18 years old at that time, if not even younger :D
I've been 15, I calculated now.

SeriousHoax

Level 32
Verified
Btw, the dll AVG/Avast hooks into every processes like most/all AV does isn't signed by Microsoft. So, if you have enabled Code Integrity Guard for something like Microsoft Edge then it gives you an error when you I try to run the browser. It eventually opens after few clicks but won't be fully protected by AVG I assume.
Bitdefender, ESET, G-Data, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc many products's dll are signed by Microsoft. They don't have this issue. I remeber ESET version 12 used to have this issue but they made their dll signed by Microsoft early last year if I remember correctly. Avast/AVG should do the same too. Wonder why they haven't yet! Are you a paid customer? If yes then try contacting them via support and ask them about this.