Less than 30 days
Computer hardware
See configuration for details
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall Rating
4.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

McMcbrad

Level 10
Btw, the dll AVG/Avast hooks into every processes like most/all AV does isn't signed by Microsoft. So, if you have enabled Code Integrity Guard for something like Microsoft Edge then it gives you an error when you I try to run the browser. It eventually opens after few clicks but won't be fully protected by AVG I assume.
Bitdefender, ESET, G-Data, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc many products's dll are signed by Microsoft. They don't have this issue. I remeber ESET version 12 used to have this issue but they made their dll signed by Microsoft early last year if I remember correctly. Avast/AVG should do the same too. Wonder why they haven't yet! Are you a paid customer? If yes then try contacting them via support and ask them about this.

You are right, it's not signed by Microsoft. I will contact them about this.
Not hooking a process will result in behavioural blocking not knowing what the process does. It's not the end of the world, but it would be better to attach it properly.

1605993711707.png

wort

Last edited:

McMcbrad

Level 10
I'm guessing you need to pay and it's not cheap to get your dll signed by Microsoft 😛 But I'm sure money is not the issue here for Avast.
Oh no, it's not about the money, it's just on every update you need to wait for them to inspect your library and sign it, which delays your release cycle.

Ouch, this made me feel old, I still remember how some Ewido users were angry and disappointed with this acquisition, good piece of software in its time.
I believe it was German-made, wasn't it?

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 57
Verified
I decided to take AVG Free for a spin. Upon install, the program froze in "You're unprotected" limbo and GUI would not open. Needed a hard shutdown of laptop and a reboot. Upon reboot, tweaked settings to include: Hardened mode, file scanning upon opening/executing and disabled HTTPS scanning.

I can say with the certainty of past experience that I've never had installation problems nor have I experienced a need to tweak settings other than hardened mode. This version just isn't the smooth and light AVG compared to when I last tried it, maybe 1-2 years ago.

McMcbrad

Level 10
I decided to take AVG Free for a spin. Upon install, the program froze in "You're unprotected" limbo and GUI would not open. Needed a hard shutdown of laptop and a reboot. Upon reboot, tweaked settings to include: Hardened mode, file scanning upon opening/executing and disabled HTTPS scanning.

I can say with the certainty of past experience that I've never had installation problems nor have I experienced a need to tweak settings other than hardened mode. This version just isn't the smooth and light AVG compared to when I last tried it, maybe 1-2 years ago.
The only tweak I have done is increased the heuristics sensitivity to max. I’ve been promised that the UI thing will be fixed in 20.10. Both AVG and Avast have the same issue, after install it says “Our UI can’t load. That’s embarrassing “ or something of this sort. 😀

oldschool

Level 57
Verified
Apparently, you can stop receiving offers by launching the AVG uninstaller.
Free version is different. It offers a switch to passive mode when you launch it.

Only "Other offer" (upgrade) prompts I get when I "complete" the smart scan by clicking "Advanced issues" after the browser and malware scans are finished. Easy to avoid these by closing UI. I can see how they scare less knowledgeable users with these tactics, but they're relatively minor IMO.

McMcbrad

Level 10
So I had occasion to open Firefox after installing AVG and on first attempt a second tab automatically opened to Avast Online Security, and upon a 2nd launch of FF a second tab was auto-opened to Avast Safe Price. Avast gives up after these two browser hijacks and FF launches normally thereafter.

Wow, this is really low! And not a good look for Mozilla either! 😲
Does it happen repeatedly?