App Review Avast! Premium Security with Hardened Mode Enabled Bypassed

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Opera Στιγμιότυπο_2019-09-22_231813_malwaretips.com.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The test methodology disabled Avast CyberCapture feature, even if it was enabled in Avast. CyberCapture can work against the files downloaded from the Internet. If the file is suspicious then it is uploaded to Avast Cloud and the execution is blocked until the file analysis is finished.
The guy used 7-ZIP to unpack the malware so it lost MOTW, and was not recognized as downloaded from the Internet.
So, this video test cannot be treated as Hardened mode bypass. But, it shows that Avast protection can be weaker for files without MOTW.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The test methodology disabled Avast CyberCapture feature, even if it was enabled in Avast. CyberCapture can work against the files downloaded from the Internet. If the file is suspicious then it is uploaded to Avast Cloud and the execution is blocked until the file analysis is finished.
The guy used 7-ZIP to unpack the malware so it lost MOTW, and was not recognized as downloaded from the Internet.
So, this video test cannot be treated as Hardened mode bypass. But, it shows that Avast protection can be weaker for files without MOTW.
Thank you my friend. You justify me in what I say in another thread (y)

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018

RoxasDev

Level 1
Jul 1, 2017

The download of the sample by internet will be done in the next videos precisely to see if there is a real change I had already thought about that :oops:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The download of the sample by internet will be done in the next videos precisely to see if there is a real change I had already thought about that :oops:
If I correctly recall, Avast Hardened mode worked only for EXE files, but this was a year or two ago. By the way, if you like malware testing, then maybe you could try to participate in Malware Hub tests?

Last edited:

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.