avast! Pro Antivirus, Fake Warnings, Softonic Partnership and Free Adware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Today, I wanted to check out avast! Pro Antivirus latest Sandbox settings, but things took a turn for the worse. On a clean install of Windows 8.1 32-bit, I downloaded 3 malware packs from the Virus Exchange, but soon realised they were compressed as .7z. Windows natively only supports .zip files.

I headed to 7-zip's website to download the standard version, which redirected me to the file hosted on SourceForge (this is normal).

At first, I clicked on Run, but IE notified the file may have been moved or deleted. Next I tried to Save As and then I got this Warning from Avast! Pro Antivirus, telling me the version I am trying to download is outdated.

upload_2014-5-23_19-23-58.png

If I choose to "Download the Latest Version", it redirects me to Softonic and the download starts automatically (IE prompts for Run or Save As) for "SoftonicDownloader_for_7-zip.exe" at 378KB.

upload_2014-5-23_19-25-17.png

Now I have a Softonic Adware Installer running without avast! warning me of PUPs and the original developers version blocked.

upload_2014-5-23_19-45-30.png

To prove I didn't delete the file from SourceForge, it's here on the desktop.

upload_2014-5-23_19-47-0.png

I cannot be more disappointed! These are default settings in avast! Pro Antivirus, with a custom install consisting of the File and Web Shield and Sandbox. All other Shield and Tools are not installed. Note: PUP detection is disabled by default.

I also found this thread on the Avast Forums, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=149882.0

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Further looking, I discovered it was the setting in the Reputation Services. I would advise any avast! user to un-check this for the time being.

[x] Check for newer versions when downloading installation files.
When checked, your avast! will identify any outdated software version you may be trying to download and will prompt you to download the latest version instead.

upload_2014-5-23_19-56-2.png

xxtoss23

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Further looking, I discovered it was the setting in the Reputation Services. I would advise any avast! user to un-check this for the time being.

[x] Check for newer versions when downloading installation files.
When checked, your avast! will identify any outdated software version you may be trying to download and will prompt you to download the latest version instead.

View attachment 11848
:mad:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
What a poor choice by Avast. They really don't need this. Unacceptable.

I started to take a good liking to Avast recently. But this has really taken a toll on the respect I have for them. Their product is good, but pushing PUPs like that goes against their stated purpose, and against all good sense.

Y

yigido

It wants to protect you from out-dated softwares.
OK. (Users are happy about this behavior because their security app said this ;) )
then
it directs you to Softonic that is full of adwares. Then ıt detects the downloader of softonic :D
OK. (users still happy because Avast said "Hey buddy! Look I am protecting you from viruses :p "
Finally, users think "No download no viruses" :cool: maybe some of them will think "7-zip is a virus." :eek:
LOL again :D It made my day..

Status
Not open for further replies.