AVG 2013 Released (now with free support even for free version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
AVG_Anti-Virus_Free_2013_610x474.png

Microsoft is forcing everybody to rethink the operating system that everybody loves to hate with Windows 8, and that includes security suite makers. Freeware faves AVG leap into the future today with a touch-friendly interface, a zippy installation, and impressively fast scans.
The upgrades are available at no cost as AVG Anti-Virus Free 2013 (download), or as a paid update to AVG Anti-Virus 2013 (download) and AVG Internet Security 2013 (download), exclusively from Download.com today.
Security vendor claims about being faster, or better, or able to protect your computer while doing your dishes, are perennial boasts. At least in the case of AVG 2013, CNET Labs has verified the company's talk about the 2013's performance gains. For our usual battery of tests, we found that AVG Anti-Virus Free 2013 actually bested an unprotected computer during the MS Office test. AVG Free completed the MS Office test in 354 seconds, while the unprotected computer took 395 seconds.
When I asked AVG evangelist Tony Anscombe about that, he explained that it has to do with how AVG 2013 performs its scans. "The new Turbo Scan checks files in the order that they're saved to the disk, as opposed to how they're saved in the file directory," he said during an interview at CNET's San Francisco offices in August.
AVG's internal benchmarks clocked "scan times up to 23.95 percent faster," Anscombe said. Meanwhile, CNET Labs' scan time results found that AVG's scans were overall the fastest of the suites from six vendors tested so far. Its impact on the rest of our test system was good, though it still added 20 to 30 seconds to the boot cycle.
Anscombe said that AVG's own tests showed that the installer has been reduced in size by 12 percent, to 33MB, while startup time is now 7 percent quicker.
Along with notable performance improvements, AVG has completely redone its interface to suit touch screens. Gone is the text-heavy look from years past. The new design uses Windows 8-styled tiles, with big fonts, simple labels, and bold colors, to divide the features into five categories. It's easily the most accessible interface AVG ever has offered, which is important given that AVG has more than 128 million people actively using it.
Anscombe also told CNET that AVG has about 15 million people who have paid for AVG premium suites; 15 million active Android users; and 15 million people have installed AVG's ad-blocking Do-Not-Track add-on since it was introduced earlier this year. The add-on has now been folded into AVG's toolbar.
Other changes are making their debut in AVG's 2013 offerings. AVG has joined many of its competitors in creating a file reputation service to help detect threats. The installation process has been cut down to five screens. It's still not as fast as Norton's or Kaspersky's sub-60 second installs, but it's much faster than it used to be. The mandatory reboot after install has been eliminated in AVG, too.
Telephone tech support has been extended to all AVG users, including those with the free version. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the tech support team will handle any problems related directly to AVG. Non-security services, such as assistance in connecting a printer or running a disk defragmenter, will be available on a fee basis.
It's well known that Windows 8 will include the most aggressive security protections from Microsoft to date, but AVG's chief executive, J.R. Smith, isn't worried about a security lawsuit sequel to the browser wars of a decade ago. "What we're seeing is that they'll pop up an offer screen for antivirus, and eventually you'll see an offer for Essentials. We've basically been a replacement product, whether it's McAfee or Symantec or us," he said.
"At the end of the day, it's a brand effort on their part to clean it up, but at least you're protected. We're not going to raise a red flag over this," Smith said.
CNET's full review will be available later today, but early indicators make AVG 2013 look like a major improvement over previous years

Source
http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57506145-12/avg-goes-all-in-with-windows-8/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The Download Link on Cnet is not working.

Direct Download Link from AVG servers- Download (Online installer)

2013 version looks really nice and a lot of new features.

Good day.:D

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
I think I just might try this. I always disliked the new AVG since it uses 6-8 processes.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Only thing I have to give to them is that the interface looks really nice and simple to use.

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011
Someone has installed and tested this program (free version)? If so ... as compared to CIS Premium 5.10?
Comparison (if you can): AVG FREE + Win 7 (x64) Firewall and CIS Premium 5.10?
I know it's early, but as a first impression?
:D

P

Plexx

ocsi said:
Someone has installed and tested this program (free version)? If so ... as compared to CIS Premium 5.10?
Comparison (if you can): AVG FREE + Win 7 (x64) Firewall and CIS Premium 5.10?
I know it's early, but as a first impression?
:D

One thing you cant compare between AVG and CIS: Sandbox. That alone will put CIS on the lead.

Anyways already downloaded and taking it for a couple of test runs before I do a video.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Using it right now and it's pretty nice for a free AV although there's minimal slowdowns during boot time. My boot time escalated from 36 sec. to 48. I didn't install the toolbar since the toolbar and the search engine are pretty cumbersome to remove.

MDRockstar

Dec 14, 2011
I'm using the free version right now and it is very good. Light on system and my boot time is ok. The program is very user friendly and now include some sort of files reputation system!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a good thing too, I don't think many would be pleased if it was default. I don't like Personalisation, because it similar to targeted Ads, specific to you. (ie. AVG User ID xxxx-xxxx-xxxx).

P

Plexx

Compared to 2012, I somehow felt a bit of a slowdown on VM. So I installed it on a spare system and it is a bit noticable the system response time. Any users experiencing this?

Specs of the system: AMD dual core 2ghz, 3GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's only noticeable during startup. Things takes some time to respond before the AVG tray icon appears. Did you guys install the Security Toolbar? I didn't install it here because I hate toolbars. Will I have lessened security with it not installed?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Isn't that common after first time installing security products, did you complete a full system scan? AVG Personalisation might help optimise, if you don't mind the agreement.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I enabled AVG Personalization since I'm fine with the agreements. The first scan is actually an optimization scan that builds a cache so your future and real time scans will be a lot faster.

P

Plexx

BoXX28 said:
I enabled AVG Personalization since I'm fine with the agreements. The first scan is actually an optimization scan that builds a cache so your future and real time scans will be a lot faster.

CPU usage of Watchdog process upon finding at least one infection piles up to nearly 50% CPU usage. Is it because it recommended to restart system to remove threat?

Conducting the same test on VM now as I did on the Real system.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
More likely it will recommend you to restart to remove the threat. What's bad is, AVG used to crashed on systems while removing active threats.

P

Plexx

BoXX28 said:
More likely it will recommend you to restart to remove the threat. What's bad is, AVG used to crashed on systems while removing active threats.

It just crashed upon I gave a reboot command...

:(

2012 ran fine on that system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.