App Review AVG Antivirus BETA2 Software Analyzer Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016

Second Software Analyzer test, this time for the newest AVG Antivirus BETA2. It is not expected for a behavior blocker alone to detect everything, but it certainly detects a lot of stuff on its own.

I've also noticed during testing that Software Analyzer is fully independent and doesn't rely on other components like Online Shield (unlike CyberCapture), so I'll be disabling it in the next tests (it was interfering a bit this time). I will slowly evolve the testing methodology to a point when it'll be perfect. For now, use it as a basic way to understand how often Software Analyzer alone gets triggered by various types of malware.

Bonus point for blocking ransomware sample. It partially damaged Windows, but failed to encrypt image files, which means important user files (like images) were protected and that's really cool.

Last edited:

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
The new "detection sounds" of AVG are from Avast products, and simply LOL at the evil-pig looking malware pictures on detection pop-up! A great way to persuade average user that the file/webpage is truly evil (malware)! :D New GUI looks promising btw.

Thank you for the test, product is in Beta so I do expect more to come until stable version release, but still it did some good job there. :)

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Apparently it blocked ransomware just in time. I've also done off video test of ransomware samples and only Petya managed to get past Software Analyzer. The rest was detected and deleted.
Did you upload that on youtube?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.