harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
AVG Free 2019 - May 2019 Report
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.

__

C: Clean / P: Protected / P - NC: Protected - Not Clean / I: Infected / E: Encrypted

* Dynamic BB Bonus Test (File Shield disabled)
* Partially Blocked
* BSR: Before System Reboot
* ASR: After System Reboot
* HM: Blocked by Hardened Mode

May
Samples
Pack
Static
Detection
Dynamic
Detection
Total
Detection
Bait Files
Encrypted
2nd Opinion
Scanners
System
Final Status
Thread
Link
03/05/2019​
06/05/2019​
10/05/2019​
AVG FREE 2019
Default Settings:
13/05/2019​
17​
9 / 17​
3 / 8​
12 / 17​
No​
C
BSR: I
ASR: I
15/05/2019​
25​
12 / 25​
6 / 13​
18 / 25​
No​
C: ZAM NPE HMP
I: WV
ASR: P - NC
17/05/2019​
23​
12 / 23​
4 / 11​
16 / 23​
No​
C
ASR: P - NC
NEXT TESTS
AVG FREE 2019
HARDENED MODE (On)
PUP (On)
High Sensitive:
20/05/2019​
19​
12 / 19​
6 (HM: 4) / 7
18 / 19​
No​
C
P
21/05/2019​
1​
1 / 1​
1 / 1*
1 / 1​
No​
C
C
22/05/2019​
21​
10 / 21​
6 (HM:3) / 11​
16 / 21​
No​
C
ASR: P
24/05/2019​
1​
1 / 1​
1 / 1*
1 / 1​
No​
C
C
24/05/2019​
14​
12 / 14​
1 / 2​
13 / 14​
No​
C
P
27/05/2019​
18​
12 / 18​
3 / 6​
15 / 18​
No​
C
P
31/05/2019​
16​
10 / 16​
4 / 6​
14 / 16​
No​
C
P

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Good morning harlan4096 . I thought the test in Default Settings it is not realistic about our forum. Almost all our Members are using tweak settings for Increased Security. And my experience with Avast with Default Settings it does not have good protection. I suggest 2 weeks test it with tweak settings. Hardened mode aggressive, and all shields sensitivity set to High. And after two weeks the same setings + syshardener Default Settings. And THANKS again :giggle:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Ok, I will perform in Default Settings for a few days and then I will tweak it. Anyway I've found AVG Free 2019 very slow in my VM compared to other products :unsure: :unsure: the GUI takes to appear and the general feeling of the system is slower...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
After some days running AVG Free 2019 (Default Settings) I have to say that AVG Free 2019 IS EXTREMELY SLOW in my VM, and working with it is exasperating most of the time even for a simple update of signatures :sick:

My W10 takes long to start, AVG Free GUI takles also loooooooooooong to start, all operations in general are slowed, also I've noticed an annoying bug: many times I click in the small icon in main GUI to force manual updates, often it takes me to the AVG adding language settings :rolleyes: I had to add a second language (English) to the GUI because the online installer installed Spanish by default... anyway I set English as default one, so why this annoying behaviour? :emoji_grimacing:

Even a simple mouse right click over the AVG taskbar icon takes long to open the small window to pause the protection, is it simply exasperating...

All this even pausing/stopping the protection of KTS2020TR in my main host...

KTS2020TRa running it's a much faster lightning working in my VM compared to AVG Free 2019...:unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
After some days running AVG Free 2019 (Default Settings) I have to say that AVG Free 2019 IS EXTREMELY SLOW in my VM, and working with him is exasperating most of the time even for a simple update of signatures :sick:

My W10 takes long to start, AVG Free GUI takles also loooooooooooong to start, all operations in general are slowed, also I've noticed an annoying bug: many times I click in the small icon in main GUI to force manual updates, often it takes me to the AVG adding language settings :rolleyes: I had to add a second language (English) to the GUI because the online installer installed Spanish by default... anyway I set English as default one, so why this annoying behaviour? :emoji_grimacing:

Even a simple mouse right click over the AVG taskbar icon takes long to open the small window to pause the protection, is simply exasperating...

KTS2020TRa running it's a much faster lightning working in my VM compared to AVG Free 2019...:unsure::unsure:
4 months ago I had AVG installed to my daughter laptop. Very light at all with low ram. Before 2 months I changed it with Avast. The same with AVG very light. Two weeks ago I came to Greece, I checked her laptop and I think was infected. Exremely slow the system with very high ram. After I found it was last update.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
After some days running AVG Free 2019 (Default Settings) I have to say that AVG Free 2019 IS EXTREMELY SLOW in my VM, and working with him is exasperating most of the time even for a simple update of signatures :sick:

Even a simple mouse right click over the AVG taskbar icon takes long to open the small window to pause the protection, is simply exasperating...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hmm, I have no problem with avast :unsure:
perhaps, because I tweaked it or I followed my must-do steps after installing avast or installing a new update => control panel - programs and features -> click "uninstall" avast -> repair
avast/AVG tends to corrupt something after an update

@harlan4096 I think the problem came from AVG/Avast's hardware virtualization. It caused the same problem for me. You must disable that feature because it would conflict with VMware/virtualbox and makes everything slow
image.png

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks, I will try it!

Update: I disabled Hardware Virtualization support and rebooted, hum... maybe a bit faster now, but the system still continues slow and the same AVG GUI, but less slow... I also enabled in VMWare -> Virtualize CPU performance counters...

Will try Repair, but I doubt that will help much either...

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi, harlan
I saw you started testing AVG with tweaked settings
could you change 1 more option so AVG can me max-ed out

Settings -> components -> Software analyzer (aka behavior shield) -> choose "always ask" or the second option, both are the same (I think)
the third option (default) is the weakest

thanks for your tests

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.