AVG Free Antivirus vs Comodo Internet Security Free?

C

CySecy825

Thread author
i searched info about fortinet and it doesn,t provide much, only heurestic for zeroday malwares thats its

I try this now Avast Free + VoodooShield Free

THANKS AGAIN

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
i searched info about fortinet and it doesn,t provide much, only heurestic for zeroday malwares thats its

I try this now Avast Free + VoodooShield Free

THANKS AGAIN

Before you put VoodooShield into lock down mode(Always On), make sure your PC is virus/malware free, than set VoodooShield into training mode for approximately 2 weeks so that way VoodooShield can make its whitelist for all your applications. After that, switch it to Always ON aka lock down mode. In this mode any executable wasn't in VoodooShield whitelist will block, but you can allow it to run if you know it's safe.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Thanks For Good Advices Thats Helped a lot

Just to let you know, VoodooShield is a free non commercial ANTI-EXECUTABLE. This programs only block executable application( application end with .exe such as 123virus.exe). Also, it'll upload every single executable files into VirusTotal.com to check if it malicious or no, so you can have better opinion if this file is safe or not.

As for my opinion, Avast Free and VoodooShield will consume less than ESET. Avast in my rig only consume 30MB of RAM sometimes but it will go lower than that, and VoodooShield is around 12MB - 15MB.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
@CySecy825

I am dedicated COMODO user for long time.

For best results, COMODO must be installed immediately after a clean install of OS.

If you have never used COMODO before, then you will not know what to do.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
i used but now i use avast

do i need any companion av ?

i have now avast and voodoo shield

Thanks for helping
dont see a need for companion AV when you have avast.

you are fine as it is, no need to over complicate things. give your current setup a try for lets say 30 days and then revisit.

H

hjlbx

Thread author

Thanks for helping

COMODO signature detection is weaker against installers, than it is against downloaded malicious payloads.

I'd say detection rate for installers is about 85 % whereas with malicious downloads it somewhere in the 90s.

So, for example, you download and install a PUP. COMODO doesn't detect it. However, PUP attempts to download a malicious payload. COMODO more often than not detects the malicious download - and dependent upon your COMODO settings - will detect it then block, quarantine or auto-sandbox the download.

Any how,

It wouldn't hurt to use a companion scanner, but I think it is not an absolute necessity. You could use a portable companion scanner and put it on a USB flash drive for occasional on-demand scanning.

All of this depends upon how much downloading, installing\uninstalling softs, your inspection of file habits, etc, etc.

Did you know you can configure COMODO to be an anti-executable ?
  • Set auto-sandbox rule for Unrecognized files to "Block."
  • Disable Cloud Lookup under File Rating Settings (want to turn on when you perform Windows and other safe soft updates).
NOTE: The above might cause a few minor issues - nothing an intermediate user cannot immediately solve.

VoodooShield is not fully fixed yet. While I like VS, I recommend NoVirusThanks ExeRadarPro because you need the ability to white-list command lines + ability to use wildcards (*, ?) in command lines if you have external hardware. VS has problems in this area. I have reported it to VS developer. I think they are refining this functionality in VS.

On one test system I have combined and used COMODO Internet Security and NVT ERP for a very long time. They work really well together on that system.

COMODO is definitely best suited to the dedicated, patient, persistent and question-asking user...

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
My vote goes to avg free , why? Because the have huge progression this year! Their inhouse behavior blocker / zero day component identity protection got a major overhaul last year! It's hardened by a community cloud engine , and a artificial intelligence component which is able to prevent new / unknown outbreakes in real time! Avg has been working for two years on this. People are dissatisfied with avg selling their browser data , but hey other companies are doing this as well! At least avg is transparent about it! Our community manager Michael Mckinnon assured us that you can opt out of it in the near future! As for webtuneup on chrome : Avg fixed the leakage bug as soon as they where notified about it! The development team works hard to fix bugs asap! You cannot say this about comodo : Very slow in development reported bugs are sometimes not fixed. The Av module is weak in cis , but it has a great bb and hips and their firewall is top notch! So my suggestion : Avg free with comodo firewall , you'll get the best of both worlds this way!!!! Ps voodoo shield and avg together have a compatabillity problem , but you can ad nvt exe radar pro! Without any problems.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Thanks for helping

I think you don't need for that case, usually its more complicated + overpowered. Avast contains numerous and vast features that is indeed enough for the AV to stand itself + Voodoshield as an anti-exe is effective in the sense where its a user decision to provide notification of a file which not included on the snapshot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.