AVG Internet Security 2016 Review - New Edition, Same AV with Windows 10 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Developer AVG has recently released the 2016 lineup for its anti-malware applications: AVG Antivirus Free, AVG Antivirus Pro and AVG Internet Security. It brings many improvements to the table and promises better malware protection

The Good:
The firewall quickly reacted to events.

AVG Internet Security light on system resources, even during scans.

We haven't noticed compatibility issues with Windows 10.

It features a self-protection module against hijackers.

It contains numerous advanced configuration settings for expert users.

The Bad:

We haven't noticed any significant changes compared to the 2015 edition of AVG Internet Security.

Casual users will have a hard time discovering how to configure the advanced settings.

We expected better malware detection results.

The automatic response was late in our tests (at file launch).

AVG Internet Security 2016 Review - New Edition, Same AV with Windows 10 Support

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
I do not entirely agree with this article , regarding that they did not notice any differences between the 2015 and 2016 version. here is the official changelog between those two. ofcourse nothing is perfect and they still need a lot of work to do , before they can make their bold statement true ''' AVG wants to become the best av in the industry "

changelog 2016 build 7161 :

BETTER MALWARE PROTECTION

AVG now protects your PC from even the newest malware regardless whether you've got the latest virus database installed. This works thanks to:

REAL-TIME OUTBREAK DETECTION
We've added crowd intelligence to our existing cloud-based Outbreak Detection technology to identify even the newest malware variants and outbreaks in real-time.

AI DETECTION
Uses advanced artificial intelligence on your PC to proactively identify malware samples that haven't yet been catalogued by our AVG ThreatLabs team.
AI Detection is being constantly trained through telemetry data from our users.

IMPROVED ONLINE SHIELD
We've improved this feature with cloud-based detection to identify dangerous downloads faster than ever.

WINDOWS 10 SUPPORT
AVG has worked on Microsoft's latest operating system from day 1.

SMB SUPPORT
AVG again supports remote administration of stations with SMB licenses.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS
New setup for all applications: faster and easier navigation, attractive graphic design.

L

LabZero

Thread author
@VatosLocos Are the real-time Outbreak and AI detection available for AVG Free users?
PROGRAM UPDATE AVG FREE 2016.7161

NEW IN THIS VERSION

BETTER MALWARE DETECTION

AVG now protects your PC from even the newest malware regardless whether you've got the latest virus database installed. This works thanks to:

REAL-TIME OUTBREAK DETECTION

We've added crowd intelligence to our existing cloud-based Outbreak Detection technology to identify even the newest malware variants and outbreaks in real-time.

AI DETECTION

Uses advanced artificial intelligence on your PC to proactively identify malware samples that haven't yet been catalogued by our AVG ThreatLabs team.
AI Detection is being constantly trained through telemetry data from our users.

WINDOWS 10 SUPPORT

AVG has worked on Microsoft's latest operating system from day 1.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS

New setup for all applications: faster and easier navigation, attractive graphic design.
AVG Guru

AVG 2016 Release Notes | AVG

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
Latest tests at av-test on Windows 10 are greatly improved:
AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute
This is indeed good, as I have been working for AVG for a few years now I have seen it dip. It's certainly occured to them they actually need to improve. I personally beileve their privacy policy was also a good move, as it is completley honest. I like where they are headed, I'm pretty sure they also purchased HideMyAss

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
AVG did indeed purchase hma vpn. That was a good move from them. I am an AVG hof Since 2011 and have seen they way , they started to get worse. I took a lot of complaining from us before they finally came to Senses , That they needed to improve or take the fall. They are on a good route now. The only thing That could be better imho is stabelizing their software code and optimize system resources so the boot up time is good!

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
future versions of the free AVG will also have the option to opt out , but this will have effects on the crowd cloud module aswell as the a.i. module. I did have issues with AVG : inconsistant performances , one day the suits will act smoothly and another day I can act boggy and stubborn. they have some serious recoding to do! glad I made the swithch to norton security : it runs smooth and without hiccups since the day I have installed it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.