AVG PC TuneUp and AVG TuneUp Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quad

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 2, 2013
Both products are released by AVG and they seem to have the same exact interface (and features?), but one is around 75MB (PC TuneUp) while the other is around 31MB, what differentiate the two products from each other? I'm somewhat puzzled.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I noticed the same thing yesterday ... dunno

Quad

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 2, 2013
One more thing that's worth noting, PC TuneUp costs $40 while TuneUp Utilities costs $50, $10 difference for no apparent reason so far, hopefully someone can shed a light on the differences between the two (if any).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The only difference is the license:
AVG PC TuneUp 2014 is sold for specified time (1 or more years) and you have always right to upgrade to latest (e.g. 2015) version for free (if your license is still valid).

AVG PC TuneUp is yearly subscription service and is sold as 1 or 2 years. Products updates are free if license is current but new versions like 2015 requires new license.

TuneUp Utilities have lifetime license for specific version (e.g. 2014) but upgrade to any future version (e.g. 2015) requires further payment.

So there is only a one-time price for like version 2014 and it is registered for lifetime with free product updates but if you want to update to newer version like 2015 you have to buy new license.

http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=229088#post_229088

Enjoy!! :D

Quad

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 2, 2013
Alright, thanks Littlebits for the info, this explains the licensing differences between the two.

But I still wonder about the big difference between the two programs binary size, 31MB (TU) to 75MB (PCT), as both sport the same functions/features, and are released by the same company on about the same time.. and even share the same exact interface?

No big deal, just curious.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Quad said:
Alright, thanks Littlebits for the info, this explains the licensing differences between the two.

But I still wonder about the big difference between the two programs binary size, 31MB (TU) to 75MB (PCT), as both sport the same functions/features, and are released by the same company on about the same time.. and even share the same exact interface?

No big deal, just curious.

AVG PC TuneUp installer includes 15 language packs, TuneUp Utilities installer only includes one language pack (English). Other language versions can be downloaded from their global download links. That is the reason for the installer size differences but the amount used on the local hard disk after installation should be the same unless you choose to install other language packs.

Enjoy!! :D

Quad

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 2, 2013
Aha, I see now, glad to have you around Littlebits. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.