User Feedback AVG Ultimate

Software
AVG Ultimate
Installation
5.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
Installation is simple, one-click install via Live (Online) installer.
It takes roughly 2 minutes with the package download and the product is installed with the lastest database.

Prior to the AVG/Avast setup, it is recommended that you run a removal tool for other antivirus packages installed in the past.
List of removal tools can be found here:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/removal-tools-for-common-antivirus-packages.105323/
Interface (UI)
5.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
See bellow
Usability
5.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
See bellow
Performance and System Impact
5.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
See bellow
Protection
5.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
See bellow
Real-time file system protection
5.00 star(s)
Internet Surf protection
5.00 star(s)
Proactive Intrusion protection
5.00 star(s)
Network protection
5.00 star(s)
Pros
  1. Lots of great features
  2. Low impact on system resources
  3. Lightning fast scans
  4. Highly configurable
  5. Easy to use
  6. Ransomware protection
  7. Effective malicious URL blocking
  8. Virus signatures are updated very often
  9. Excellent scores in independent tests
  10. Great value
  11. Effective malware removal
  12. Well designed, clear interface
  13. Multiple layers of protection
Cons
  1. Includes links to paid-for components
  2. Nags about purchasing other version
Software installed on computer
More than 30 days
Computer specs
See configuration for details
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall Rating
5.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
They are not known to script-kiddies, but most hackers probably know them.:(
I only see banal tactics... I am waiting for the day malware will surprise me with something (other than JPHP), but I don't see that :D
I am more focused on discovering new code injection techniques and reporting them so BBs can be trained. Eliminating constrained mode in PowerShell is the best defence if Kaspersky is not installed.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Level 68
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Dec 23, 2014
I only see banal tactics... I am waiting for the day malware will surprise me with something (other than JPHP), but I don't see that :D
That is right. I have researched malicious obfuscated PowerShell scripts a few years ago. I used the native code in these scripts to decode them.:)
There was a thread about it on MT opened by me, but it disappeared in a mysterious way. I am sure that you could easily find most of my scripting methods on the Internet if you would be really interested.
Script kiddies are interested in easy profit. They usually blindly reuse the code, sometimes they even do not understand it. These scripts are still efficient, so they do not feel the pressure to find some more.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 25
Verified
Aug 4, 2016
Having a mess around with AVG Internet Security for fun, I really like it. One thing I can't find id how to block internet access for a particular program IE: Wise Cleaner - It's far from critical but I do like the ability to block some programs from phoning home or reverse?

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
Having a mess around with AVG Internet Security for fun, I really like it. One thing I can't find id how to block internet access for a particular program IE: Wise Cleaner - It's far from critical but I do like the ability to block some programs from phoning home or reverse?
You can block a program using the following steps:

1608719254358.png
1608719424597.png

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
If hardened mode is enabled and ransomeware shield is set to strict I belive that would stop almost everything right?
It will be sufficient to most users even if you don't enable these. Unknown executables will be covered by CyberCapture and not too many trusted processes are in the ransomware shield. If you believe someone is a happy clicker, you might enable these defences and yes, they will block everything threatening a home user.

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
I just created a malicious script using the method that @Andy Ful mentioned yesterday. It's a trojan downloader that executes custom C++ ransomware (Luke FileCrawler) I've finished today and then executes it. Initially, the loader was not detected. Less than 10 minutes later, executing it triggers IDP.Generic.
The custom ransomware itself was detected by CyberCapture. I tried injecting it in cvtres and msbild via a method I learned from the fileless Tesla, but the injection itsels causes an IDP.AMSI.10 detection.

1608723169057.png

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I just created a malicious script using the method that @Andy Ful mentioned yesterday. It's a trojan downloader that executes custom C++ ransomware (Luke FileCrawler) I've finished today and then executes it. Initially, the loader was not detected. Less than 10 minutes later, executing it triggers IDP.Generic.
The custom ransomware itself was detected by CyberCapture. I tried injecting it in cvtres and msbild via a method I learned from the fileless Tesla, but the injection itsels causes an IDP.AMSI.10 detection.

View attachment 251709
Any chance I can have the sample to run it against Vipre?

Cortex

Level 25
Verified
Aug 4, 2016
OK: I wasn't very nice about AVAST a couple of weeks ago, but I've had AVG Internet Security on a couple of days & for unknown reasons seems to run much smoother than KIS & see no reason to remove AVG, runs better than ESET or F-Secure IMHO too - I have to say AVG as regard temperatures etc on this Ryzen 3 are much improved (I'm sorry AVAST) AVG nice program :eek::eek::eek: Thanks McMcBrad for heads-up.

McMcbrad

Level 23
Oct 16, 2020
OK: I wasn't very nice about AVAST a couple of weeks ago, but I've had AVG Internet Security on a couple of days & for unknown reasons seems to run much smoother than KIS & see no reason to remove AVG, runs better than ESET or F-Secure IMHO too - I have to say AVG as regard temperatures etc on this Ryzen 3 are much improved (I'm sorry AVAST) AVG nice program :eek::eek::eek: Thanks McMcBrad for heads-up.
They haven’t mentioned it in 20.10 release notes, but they have further improved their performance and reduced their impact on app launch. Deep Scan now writes to the persistent cache and once you complete it, you will decrease the overall scanning activities, which will result in a faster system. :)

Cortex

Level 25
Verified
Aug 4, 2016
I've only gone by rule of thumb, fan speeds & temp, but the PC is unusually smooth, I've tried most AV's since I built it end of may but, so far I'm vey impressed, nice UI too which is important - Sometimes it can be a case of interaction between your hardware & other software but for me, impressed - Used AVG years ago, but for me I'm saying hey this is good, I was wrong.