App Review AVG vs Avast vs Avira vs Windows Defender detection ratio Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Nice review! A little feedback maybe next time you can have a summary at the end of the video to show the remaining files in each folder to show who detected the most and a glimpse of what each AV missed! Other than that a very nice video

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Great job for avast!

Avira, AVG did a good job. Bit surprised at Avira scoring a bit lower and AVG doing better (helps avast in future? :))

Never did care much for windows defender but this shined a small light on it.

Great video once again.Is Windows Defender's PUP activated? but you missed new bitdefender free beta and qihoo 360 TSE.

Yes please.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I think you've changed the heuristic in the wrong place in Avira (2m47s). Instead of going under the "Real-time Protection > Scan" tab, it should be changed in "System Scanner > Scan", because the real-time defense does not interfere in scanning and is disabled. I no longer have Avira installed, but please excuse me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the video @safe1st!

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I expected a slightly higher detection ratio from Avira and AVG did better than I thought. Windows defender also did not bad at all.
Thanks for the video! :)

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Can you test avast against nasty ransomwares?@safe1st.To see how safe avast really are against Ransomwares.
Great video once again.Is Windows Defender's PUP activated? but you missed new bitdefender free beta and qihoo 360 TSE.

Its activated. I use windows defender clean state with PUP activated (my VM snapshot)
BitDefender free version seems much slower than any of these 4 products in scanning speed. Will make seperate video, Bitdefender free vs others next time.

I think you've changed the heuristic in the wrong place in Avira (2m47s). Instead of going under the "Real-time Protection > Scan" tab, it should be changed in "System Scanner > Scan", because the real-time defense does not interfere in scanning and is disabled. I no longer have Avira installed, but please excuse me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the video @safe1st!

The setting is on High in the test but i show you the wrong section. I already change to high right after i finish install avira actually...

Thanks everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.