App Review Avira Antivirus Pro 2016 (Tweaked Settings) Prevention and Detection Test (safe1st)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
When i tried Avira Pro a few months back i used the exactly same settings and it did a good job.
It seems that scanning the system after a malware has been detected using also the cloud helps Avira
to protect the system from being infected.
Thanks for the test @safe1st :)

Yes. Did good job in this test.
That "scanning system" actually make slow down my VM :D

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
That "scanning system" actually make slow down my VM
I tried Avira Pro in my real system and i have to confirm that "scanning system" was a bit heavy
but if it's going to protect my system like i saw in your test i don't have any problem with that.
The good thing about Avira is that at max settings still feels lite on system.
What i want from Avira except from great protection is to see less processes and lower RAM usage.
Norton,Kaspersky,Avast and some others have only 2 processes running and i want to see that from Avira as well.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
I tried Avira Pro in my real system and i have to confirm that "scanning system" was a bit heavy
but if it's going to protect my system like i saw in your test i don't have any problem with that.
What i want from Avira except from great protection is to see less processes and lower RAM usage.
Norton,Kaspersky,Avast and some others have only 2 processes running and i want to see that from Avira as well.

Agreed with you.
Less processes and ram usage would be great improvements but hopefully detection rate isnt going down :D

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015

Avira is a good Av. but they should add a strong behavior blocker.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Congratulations, you were the first in Avira community at seeing those 2 malware uploaded to the cloud :) . The PUPs were just two, because malwarebytes counts the singles part of each of them, and one had only a lot of registry keys. It seems Avira doesn't upload the unknown files to protection cloud which are not downloaded from the Internet (the files in the folder). In my opinion there is no reason of buying Avira Pro, because the feature are almost the same of the Free version..

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good to see a little action of Avira Protection Cloud at all, although the always confusion part is Avira 'system scan' from alerts came up on removal as it adds resources and performance slowdowns.

However still the ProAktiv should be develope closely more in order to attain other competitors.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Good to see a little action of Avira Protection Cloud at all, although the always confusion part is Avira 'system scan' from alerts came up on removal as it adds resources and performance slowdowns.

However still the ProAktiv should be develope closely more in order to attain other competitors.

Yes, that why
if you have quad-core system, it will not slow down I think...

Thank you everyone!

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
thanks @safe1st for every great videos you have made, any video I want to watch, you have made it :)

anyway I am curious, with your tweaking settings and also what if we add more by choosing 'all files' instead of 'use smart extensions' on system scanner either choosing 'all files' instead of 'use file extension list' on real-time protection settings, would it be make difference... and also after scanning the samples, what if we choose 'delete' instead of 'repair', I'm just thinking that 'repair' will remove the threats but it left the file behind o_O

maybe if you have time to update the Avira video, there is new version 15.0.22.54 which has been released on October 05th, 2016, there are some improvements and bug fixes ,

thanks @safe1st :)

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
thanks @safe1st for every great videos you have made, any video I want to watch, you have made it :)

anyway I am curious, with your tweaking settings and also what if we add more by choosing 'all files' instead of 'use smart extensions' on system scanner either choosing 'all files' instead of 'use file extension list' on real-time protection settings, would it be make difference... and also after scanning the samples, what if we choose 'delete' instead of 'repair', I'm just thinking that 'repair' will remove the threats but it left the file behind o_O

maybe if you have time to update the Avira video, there is new version 15.0.22.54 which has been released on October 05th, 2016, there are some improvements and bug fixes ,

thanks @safe1st :)

Sure :)
That was my plan... thanks for request
have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.