App Review Avira Antivirus Pro vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
its a known fact that avira is one of the weakest when it comes to ransomware or zeroday threads. Tested it over and over again. But here is one guy on MalwareTips that thinks Avira is the best av in the world and beats every other av easly. Hope his mind changes in the future when he is able to get facts right. Avira has one of the best Signatures avaiable with Eset and Kaspersky but thats it. The zeroday protection is just realy weak.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
wow, thanks for the test, I was asking for this to see the results, the sad thing is not only the detection. the roll back features that some other vendors have really helped to repair the system, but not in Avira case. even if some malware files still existed but it could roll back the files I would give it some scores

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Thnx for sharing this test @Arin

Well Avira clearly says on its blog
WannaCrypt0r: The ransomware that hit computers all over the world - Avira Blog
" Avira offers security of mind and for your PC

While we are still continuing to investigate the details of the WannaCrypt0r attack – after all a malware analyst’s job is never done – we can already confirm that our software successfully detects it, as variants of the ransomware have first been detected by our scans approximately two months ago."

:rolleyes:

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
its a known fact that avira is one of the weakest when it comes to ransomware or zeroday threads. Tested it over and over again. But here is one guy on MalwareTips that thinks Avira is the best av in the world and beats every other av easly. Hope his mind changes in the future when he is able to get facts right. Avira has one of the best Signatures avaiable with Eset and Kaspersky but thats it. The zeroday protection is just realy weak.
@Xsjx What would you do if this happened with your PC? Do you still feel protected using Avira? I would not if I were using Avira.
no worries @Xsjx won't show up here.
I cant describe my satisfaction when wannacry bypassed Avira. My first though was Xsjx :D:p

garlictaker

Level 1
May 18, 2017
oh my god.. I'm avira free user. I'm really terrified now :eek:
Gotta switch my avira to others.
any recommendation??
I'm considering moving to Trend Micro now. how's Trend Micro?

garlictaker

Level 1
May 18, 2017
You said trend micro without even thinking the consequences.... How about CF?
I have a 1year license for Trend Micro. that's why I'm considering it. but I have bad memories about it when I used it 3 or 4 years ago. It slowed my rig too much. so I'm just curious what reputation of Trend Micro now. :rolleyes:

CF is comodo, right?
thank you for reply :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
any recommendation??
I think trend micro is about the same or even weaker than avira pro. I don't recommend it. It was tested by in MT Hub and I could see it was struggling a lot
I recommend avast free with tweaked settings
or if you are willing to pay, you can choose Kaspersky IS or Emsisoft

EDIT: CF is the best but it may be a bit difficult to use. Try if you like it
other recommendations are more user-friendly

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
any recommendation??
any day that I pursue the news and security industry, testing different methods, vendors,.. . I'm thinking more that big companies bring better security in this circumstances, trend micro , Kaspersky, Symantec and other big names I believe that are somehow better than the others. more resources, more budget for R&D more technologies. although I think for a skilled user default deny is the best solution but we are talking about normal users.
look at this malware, it shows why many times many people said that do not trust forums and websites testing. the quality of a product shows in this kind of situations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.