Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira Browser Safety: Apply for Beta Testing

A future without toolbars

4mJ536Q.png

We are proud to announce that Avira Browser Safety V1.0 Beta (ABS) is now available. Available initially for Google Chrome, and later for other browsers, ABS will eliminate the traditional toolbar, while providing a safe and aesthetically pleasing user experience. Unlike the previous “Searchfree Toolbar” developed and built by our partner Ask, ABS is built from scratch by the Avira Browser Safety development team. Working with our Avira URL Cloud team, and integrating market leading privacy technology from our partner Abine for “Do Not Track Me” capability, ABS is leading the way toward a future without toolbars.
The initial beta release, V1.0, will match the same features in the current toolbar. This includes;

• Safe Search
  • Safe Browsing
  • Do Not Track Me

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for sharing. Lots of beta versions from AVIRA. I like them :)

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Earth said:
Avira is still partnered with Ask Jeeves.
http://avira.search.ask.com/
Earth You're a real winner. I love your updates :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
  • Safe Search
  • Safe Browsing
  • Do Not Track Me

Earth said:
Avira is still partnered with Ask Jeeves.
http://avira.search.ask.com/

So I assume the 'safe search' is just an Avira branded Ask? Any more feedback on this?

Reactions: Kent

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I suppose, AVG do a similar thing with Google - http://isearch.avg.com

MrXidus said:
So I assume the 'safe search' is just an Avira branded Ask? Any more feedback on this?

ToniRuch

Jun 8, 2012
MrXidus said:
If you use the safe search in combination with this new browser plugin you get recommendations wether this page is safe or not.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well dang i used to love Avira before the Ask thing but when thay started using it i uninstalled Avira
i'v heard many times thay would move from Ask search but it did not happen

maby some of you have seen this from Ben Edelman in 2006
http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/ask-toolbars/

i wish thay would not use Ask i would try Avira again

thanks

James

:)

Reactions: Cain
G

Guest28

I really like this new protection from Avira. It's pretty superior to blocking threats.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tested it against a few day old threats from Malc0de and seemed to block them well, before the download initiated. Their displayed block page message is pleasant too, with options to Continue and Add Exceptions. No signs of the Ask search engine anywhere which is a positive, and you can use the full potential of this extension without Avira Antivirus.

upload_2014-2-8_22-57-16.png

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
8l5sdwjzp5.png

we are proud to announce that Avira Browser Safety 1.1.5 beta is now also available for Firefox for beta testing.
It has exactly the same feature set like its chrome counterpart.

• Safe Search
  • Safe Browsing
  • Do-Not-Track Me

G

Guest28

very good and quick at blocking web threats. Kinda reminds me of how clearclead blocked web pages so efficiently.

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cheers, updated on second profile.

Krzysztof Kania

Mar 4, 2014
I feel a bit slow down, don't know why.. i'll test it more.

Hi Koroke San, Krzysztof here from the Avira Browser Safety team. We're looking into the performance issue, as reported by Firefox users. We appreciate any feedback from you guys regarding that problem.

Also, you guys can grab the latest release version for both Firefox and Chrome through the link below. It adapts to your current browser (currently Chrome and Firefox only). Note that release versions might be a bit behind as compared to the builds in our beta centre:
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-browser-safety-lp

Krzysztof

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Hi Koroke San, Krzysztof here from the Avira Browser Safety team. We're looking into the performance issue, as reported by Firefox users. We appreciate any feedback from you guys regarding that problem.

Also, you guys can grab the latest release version for both Firefox and Chrome through the link below. It adapts to your current browser (currently Chrome and Firefox only). Note that release versions might be a bit behind as compared to the builds in our beta centre:

Krzysztof

I was using that in chrome, also i have panda url filter & k9 enabled so why maybe it a bit slowing down my surfing behavior. Btw, i tested ur Avira browser safety & It's really a good to catch malicious url. What Panda url filter & K9 missed, it's caught them. It's good if ur url filter blocks more malicious url coz some times it missed which panda or K9 caught. I'll test it on cyberfox & will report u soon. thnx for this awesome addon :D

Reactions: Venustus

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013

Krzysztof
Hi Krzysztof,

Nice to see an Avira representative in MT. Welcome to MT!
I have been using ABS for quite sometime in Firefox and have several feedbacks/suggestions.

• I would like to see more options for the addon like disabling tracking protection globally. Right now it takes 3-4 clicks to disable tracking for specific pages. This should come down to max 2 clicks.
  • Avira safe search is using google search but when I go to google.com and do a search, I don't see any color coded symbols. This is strange. If the user turns on Avira safe search then a search through google should also be color coded.
  • I see that when I clear the browsing cookies using ccleaner then safe search is turned off. Once again when I open the browser it asks if you want to turn on safe search. Right now the fix is exclude cookies from avira.com from junk cleaners. This setting should not be stored in a cookie rather it should be stored in Firefox user preference.
  • It would be great if the addon reflects the color in green/red/yellow just like WOT to show the site rating and the number of trackers in each page. A static icon is not very useful.
  • I would like to see color codes in other websites like FB, Twitter, Yahoo etc.
  • Icon is too big and its not possible to drag it to customize addon window to hide the icon.
  • In the edit tracker page upon scrolling down I am not able to reach to the bottom of the page. See the image attached.
P4LnFU8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.