Battle Avira Free 2014 vs Avast Free 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Avira has the Ask toolbar and more false positives. Its detection rates are slightly better though. Avast is lighter on the system though I believe.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Nonsense.
The toolbar is OPTIONAL.

I really do wish people would learn to read the installation screens properly.
If anything has been installed that you didnt want then its YOU the user who is responsible.

And with all due respect to bunyip but i saw your comodo you-tube review and i noticed you were whinging about the so-called "bloat".
Well simply unticking the extras cures this problem.

It really is not that difficult to do a custom install and install components you want rather than moaning about "sneaky" installs etc.

Its not the malware which should be worrying the software vendors its the careless users which are the biggest threat.

That is all.

Have a great day and thanks.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
The toolbar is OPTIONAL.
Optional with this AV is a matter of context. Yes, you can opt out of installing it, but with the free version to get the web guard protection the toolbar is a required component.

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Amiga500 said:
Nonsense.
The toolbar is OPTIONAL.

If anything has been installed that you didnt want then its YOU the user who is responsible.

And with all due respect to bunyip but i saw your comodo you-tube review and i noticed you were whinging about the so-called "bloat".

It really is not that difficult to do a custom install and install components you want rather than moaning about "sneaky" installs etc.

Its not the malware which should be worrying the software vendors its the careless users which are the biggest threat.

That is all.

The is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Obviously when I install something on my personal computer I don't just click agree boxes on everything. I do default installations of programs in my tests and comment on how I think these things shouldn't be included by default. That's all. Most users do wildly click accept, though.

If you don't want the toolbar in Avira you're sacrificing a vital component of an antivirus. In order to get web protection in the free version you need to include the toolbar.

aztony said:
The toolbar is OPTIONAL.
Optional with this AV is a matter of context. Yes, you can opt out of installing it, but with the free version to get the web guard protection the toolbar is a required component.
This exactly.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Avast offers better protection features (reputation services, deepscreen, hardened mode, malicious script scanning on just about all web applications) and less false positives.
Both can be custom installed to remove components that you don't need to make them lighter. I disagree with Avira having higher detection rate, when I used it everything that it detected that Avast missed was just false positives. Avira could however have better signature detection but still Avast would be just as good with their active protection features lacking in Avira.

Thanks. :D

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
Amiga500 said:
Nonsense.
The toolbar is OPTIONAL.

That is all.

I thought for the normal user who installs with Next without reading anything!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
+1 for Avira removing the Nag screen from their Free AV.
-1 for still being partnered with Ask Search.

(Not voted for either)

Off-Topic:
The CIS installer does contain bloat, because it includes software that the user didn't intentionally want to install. Unchecking doesn't make the bloat disappear, the installer will still be 200MB containing CIS + other Comodo-ware.
Amiga500 said:

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Avast. Avast has push updates where avira I believe you have a limited amount of updates daily. Avira may have a slightly better detection but it's back and forth on most AV testing sites. Avast has the hardened mode and once Deepscreen starts working well. Avast also has less FP. Avast also has the remote access feature.

Reactions: Solarlynx

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Earth said:
+1 for Avira removing the Nag screen from their Free AV.
-1 for still being partnered with Ask Search.

(Not voted for either)

Off-Topic:
The CIS installer does contain bloat, because it includes software that the user didn't intentionally want to install. Unchecking doesn't make the bloat disappear, the installer will still be 200MB containing CIS + other Comodo-ware.

Thanks for having my back and yeah -1 for the toolbar :(.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Yesterday I did some testing with avast free and avira free in VM to compare web shields. Aviras seems a bit more effective blocking malicious urls (malc0de urls were only tested though)
If you leave only file shields on, you ll see that avast detects more unknown files when executed of those that are downloaded via such urls (not malware packs).
As for malware packs from malwarehub here, avira cloud detects most of them when trying to launch undetected in contrast to avast that falls behind a little and the numbee of undetected is also much bigger. false positives? Some of them will probably be but I dont think so most of them.
Maybe because avira guys take samples submision more seriously and work faster with them.
So what's up in real world; I cannot say.. :/

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Avira has better detection but Avast's features is what makes Avast more popular. For a time I relied on Avira (when I had a license of the Premium / IS --though I never liked the firewall) but I liked Avast's features more.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Avira free has better detection of zero-day malware

Avast free has web filter, reputation service and script shield - I like them lots.

This is a difficult choice.

If I'm allowed to add something else I would choose Avira + K9 web filter. Otherwise my choice is Avast.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avira free has better detection of zero-day malware

Avast free has web filter, reputation service and script shield - I like them lots.

This is a difficult choice.

If I'm allowed to add something else I would choose Avira + K9 web filter. Otherwise my choice is Avast.
it seems strange to me that Avira has better zero day protection. why you say it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.