Battle Avira Free 2014 vs Avast Free 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
it seems strange to me that Avira has better zero day protection. why you say it?

I thought this basing on the AV-Test data. Now I've checked them again and it seems that they both are on a par. So I'll change my previous post.

Oops! I cannot edit my post above.

D

Deleted member 178

i will say Avast, from my own experiences:

- Avast: prevention oriented, more features, less FPs and their cloud is quite wide

- Avira : detection oriented, work with high heuristics, more encline to FPs

MickinMD

Apr 21, 2014
it seems strange to me that Avira has better zero day protection. why you say it?

A lot of independent testors have found Avira much stronger than Avast in heuristics, including av-comparatives.org and dottech.org. For example: http://dottech.org/14151/windows-be...security-essentials-vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/

I say that as one who recently uninstalled Avira [only possible by normal means through Safe Mode] from my Win 8 laptop because it kept making my computer hang up for 1-2 minutes at a time or crash whenever software updates were automatically installed. Don't know the true reason for the conflict, but I finally gave up and installed Avast.

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Avast is what I use now, got bored of the look of Comodo Antivirus. Comodo is the best, but I went for a change. Avira Antivirus was on the list to try with my Windows Firewall Console 9.0, AVG I will never try again it's boring green screen!

Also Avast Antivirus has more features than Avira!

Make sure your UAC is "enable" with all Antivirus Software apart from Comodo yay!

I clean infected computers and avira did will better than avast but I love avast too you know:)

Last edited by a moderator:

pilotart

May 6, 2014
I loved Avira's AntiVir Free for years (blocked nagscreens) and then in 2007 bought their most deluxe version for three years on three systems.

Worked great for 2 1/2 years and then their version upgrade caused BSOD's on a regular basis on all three systems, they were in denial and no help at all. Search me (pilotart) on their forum for details.

Before my paid license was finished, I removed Avira and installed MSE, now with MS not supporting MSE on WinXP any more, I chose Avast for that system and like it so far. I am still using MSE on Win-7 & 8.1 for now.

I am glad to read that Avira dropped their nagscreens but the 'ask-toolbar' would be worse, it was posted above that if you decline it, your protection is hampered.

Avira may have higher scores on some tests but I never had any problem using MSE which has much lower scores than Avast. High test scores don't outweigh System Damage in my book.

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
Hi

I am not objective on that; i never liked Avast.
I like Avira (i use paid version now); it's one of the lighest product i know on my computer (with webroot), good detection rate, confortable settings to use and change. All in all i like this product.
For Avast i will say nothing, i am allergic to this product; it's subjective^^

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am glad to read that Avira dropped their nagscreens but the 'ask-toolbar' would be worse, it was posted above that if you decline it, your protection is hampered.

Nagscreen is gone - correct.

Avira launched the #AFutureWithoutToolbars a couple of months back, when Avira Browser Safety was announced for public beta testing. Avira Browser Safety is available for most browsers, except IE. More here, http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-browser-safety-beta-for-chrome-firefox.18467/

So IMHO, declining the Ask toolbar does not decrease protection of Avira Free or Suite. Toolbars usually allow a small stream of revenue, so don't believe what some say about the toolbar is required.

Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer all have built-in phishing protection and or malware sites protection. Ad-Blockers also optionally, incorporate malware site blocking filters.

Reactions: looda

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
http://dottech.org/14151/windows-be...security-essentials-vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/

According to them, the top three best free antivirus:
  • Avira Free for its excellent detection and malware removal
  • Panda Cloud Free for its excellent detection, good removal, and the fact that it is cloud-based — an offering that allows people a viable alternative to traditional AVs
  • avast Free for its combination of excellent features with good detection and removal while having lower false positives than Avira Free and Panda Cloud Free

However, they based their findings on AV-Comparatives and Virus Bulletin. They dont trust AV-Test

Read more at http://dottech.org/14151/windows-be...vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/#gy57F8OZGdHjWfVF.99

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Avire crop is light and has a good detection and additions during installation deselect used it for a year and there was no trouble with it very well worked with MBAM Pro.w the moment I have F-security, but will end my license is happy to be back to Avira.:)

Milwflathead

Jun 21, 2014
I was using Avast premium and my computer got infected and avast stopped working. I called there support line and they (an asvast tech) remoted into my computer. He informed me that I needed an engineer cleaning and it would cost an additional $179.00. He said that would fix everything. so I reluctantly said ok and gave them my credit card #. He told me after they were done my computer would reboot and everything would be taken care of. They did it. It rebooted. And it was completely destroyed. All i had was a black screen with a mouse pointer. I called them back and asked them "what now?" and they proceeded to tell me that my operating system must have gotten corrupted during their cleaning and they were sorry but i would have to reinstall windows. I asked for my money back and I was transferred to an extremely rude guy that said there would be no refund given. I then proceeded to call my credit card company. The representative from my credit card company called avast with me on the line to request a refund. The woman we got was unbelievable. She was screaming at us, talked over everything either of us had to say and did not listen to a word either of us said. At one point I said to the avast woman "are you going to let us speak or are you going to talk over everything?" she said "go ahead speak" on the second word she started talking again. She hung up on us after a few more statements. After which the card rep. said there should be no problem getting my money back and she had never seen or heard of such behavior form a customer care person.
I am now installing windows 7 on that computer and I have installed Avira on all of the other computers I use at home and at work with no complaints. Avira defiantly has a smaller footprint and seems to have a higher level of security than even the avast's premium service. I for one will never use avast again and I recommend other people not use avast either.

Reactions: Koroke San

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I was using Avast premium and my computer got infected and avast stopped working. I called there support line and they (an asvast tech) remoted into my computer. He informed me that I needed an engineer cleaning and it would cost an additional $179.00. He said that would fix everything. so I reluctantly said ok and gave them my credit card #. He told me after they were done my computer would reboot and everything would be taken care of. They did it. It rebooted. And it was completely destroyed. All i had was a black screen with a mouse pointer. I called them back and asked them "what now?" and they proceeded to tell me that my operating system must have gotten corrupted during their cleaning and they were sorry but i would have to reinstall windows. I asked for my money back and I was transferred to an extremely rude guy that said there would be no refund given. I then proceeded to call my credit card company. The representative from my credit card company called avast with me on the line to request a refund. The woman we got was unbelievable. She was screaming at us, talked over everything either of us had to say and did not listen to a word either of us said. At one point I said to the avast woman "are you going to let us speak or are you going to talk over everything?" she said "go ahead speak" on the second word she started talking again. She hung up on us after a few more statements. After which the card rep. said there should be no problem getting my money back and she had never seen or heard of such behavior form a customer care person.
I am now installing windows 7 on that computer and I have installed Avira on all of the other computers I use at home and at work with no complaints. Avira defiantly has a smaller footprint and seems to have a higher level of security than even the avast's premium service. I for one will never use avast again and I recommend other people not use avast either.
Are you sure you call the right number (1-866-951-7679), it sounds like you got involved with a fake phishing scam maybe pretending to be Avast. As you may not know you can get infected using any AV if you download watch what you download and where you click because no product will detect every malware. Never use any type of online service for repairing your system even if it is sponsored by a trusted AV company because most have contracts with third-party companies that actually to the tech support, always take your system to a local computer repair shop it is best to ask around to make sure you will get the best service. In my area Staples offers excellent computer service. Most paid AV's will not offer free computer repair or malware removal they will only offer support for the product. If I was you I would call the number back, ask to speak with a manager verify that the number is actually Avast Tech Support and ask for a refund. Unless they made it clear to you that running the service might destroy your system, you should get a refund.

I have been running my computer business for nearly 11 years, sometimes when a system is severely infected, I will explain to my customer that removing the infection might destroy their system. They have an option, I can either just backup their important files and reinstall Windows for a set price or they can take the chance of trying to remove the infections for a set price and if system is destroyed I'm not reliable and they will get no refund because I still had to perform my work. I always recommend to my customers with severe infections to reinstall Windows, it is the only sure way to fix all problems, cost them less money and is fast and simple. When I do reinstall Windows, I will move all of the important files back to the newly installed system and run all of the Windows Updates and install the AV of the customer's choice and make sure it is updated and running good. If you want anything else done then it will be extra charge.

I'm sorry to hear that you got scammed, most online tech services are nothing but scams. It is impossible to completely check out a system using remote services. The system needs to be in front of you in order to do a complete checkup.

Enjoy!! :D

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I dont like too much new avira's products.
Avast for me, clean install just with system and web protection modules, no other bloat components (hardened on for novice users).
And avast is lighter IMO :)

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

avast always was very good when i have it time ago. now i use baidu :oops: and never had problem.

I always laugh to such comments. I never had any problems with AV "X" and that means it's the best. The fact that you never had problems means that you either think before you click and you haven't visited any malicious websites or that your AV doesn't detected them if you have visited such sites.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.