Avira Free - Action on detection for Real-Time Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamZ

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 17, 2015
Hi, I was a big fan of Avira free antivirus, but since version 15.0.17 (I think) it is no possible to choose interactive action on detection for the Real -Time protection module. It always send the detected file to quarantine.

Anybody knows how to restore the old behavior?

Last edited:

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Yes, it is not a well received development among knowledgeable users, I'm pretty sure one cannot go back to the old protocol, but I'm also not sure whether it is applied to all suspicious files. It hasn't happened to me yet...
When you say it is not possible to choose the interactive action, does it mean that the configuration interface has changed in Avira free? I have the Pro version and the configuration layout has still the interactive choice...

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
This change is why I don't attempt to use Avira Free on my system - Avira free made a habit of completely deleting files whenever it chose to. This for me is a big problem as many AV (including Avira) mark some of my tools as malware.

All things considered, I don't find that user friendly considering if a user finds his/her files missing, they will not know why it is missing. I think detection are only shown in an event log (or similarly named) part of the software if I remember correctly. They could at least 1) quarantine all files, not delete them 2) give the user a notification about an action taken like all other products

Don't know why they removed the user intervention setting (which is now only available in paid versions). Due to all of that, I can never recommend free version which is a shame because it is a good AV (even if a little too basic compared to Avast and other free AV).

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Same here. When I took Avira for a spin, it didn't last for more than a day. Reverted back to 360 TS.

Reactions: Logethica

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
This change is why I don't attempt to use Avira Free on my system - Avira free made a habit of completely deleting files whenever it chose to. This for me is a big problem as many AV (including Avira) mark some of my tools as malware.

All things considered, I don't find that user friendly considering if a user finds his/her files missing, they will not know why it is missing. I think detection are only shown in an event log (or similarly named) part of the software if I remember correctly. They could at least 1) quarantine all files, not delete them 2) give the user a notification about an action taken like all other products

Don't know why they removed the user intervention setting (which is now only available in paid versions). Due to all of that, I can never recommend free version which is a shame because it is a good AV (even if a little too basic compared to Avast and other free AV).
I knew they would quarantine the files, but if they delete them it is really not acceptable. This was one of the unpopular policies that has driven off quite a number of people from Norton Security. If i find a file deleted without my consent I will certainly reconsider using Avira, but as I mentioned with the Pro version it hasn't happened yet... Time will tell.

Reactions: Logethica

Kolo

Oct 13, 2016
Come on! Aren't they going to implement again the Interactive Mode, where you could choose what to do with the detected file? I'm being forced to try other software. Any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.