Battle Avira Free Antivirus + COMODO Firewall Free + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium vs KAS 2017

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hello, guys. Currently I am using Avira Free Antivirus + COMODO Firewall Free + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium. I like this protection but now I have a chance to buy Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 just for 9 EUR (special promotion from one magazine). Should I go for it?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I wouldn't personally use Avira Free - I would use Avast Free since Avast is a better company in my opinion, Avast has a better GUI, a good detection rate & doesn't come with junk like Avira does -_-

If you want a free setup then I would recommend:

Avast Free (Max settings) + Comodo Firewall + MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Version 3 Premium (Latest new version) or Zemana Anti-Logger.

If you want a paid setup with KIS 2017 then:

KIS 2017 (Max settings) + VoodooShield Free + Zemana (as Demand).

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Definitely agree on Avast than Avira because of the detection capabilities.

For Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit I think there is no real way of checking how well it does it's job because finding exploit samples in the wild is a pretty tough job. But anti-exploit being a stand alone program just for exploits compared to KIS, I would say that MBAE would have a more configurable protection, whereas from what I can tell, everything in KIS is done automatically and there is no real way for you to set additional programs to be protected by their anti-exploit settings.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I like @MalwareBlockerYT 's idea. Kaspersky is probally the best paid AV in my opinion. But I have been using Avast Free for many years. Thx to Jack this guide is perfect. How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide) I don't know very much about Comodo Firewall but I find Windows Firewall to be good enough. If you have the peremium version of MBAE you can upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0 and have all its protection (Ransomeware Protection, Malicous Web Blocking, Malware Protection, and Exploit Blocking Can be heavy though) Choice is up to you though. :)

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I am also trying to reduce my resource usage since I play a lot of games. Here is my current list of processes and how much resources do they use. Do you think it would be better with KIS 2017 :)?

http://3.1m.yt/pkMniC4.png
http://3.1m.yt/z5sfqog.png
http://3.1m.yt/Fjmbq2T.png

Do you think 9 EUR for KIS 2017 is a good price?
I will go for Avast instead of Avira definitely if I will decide to stay with free protection.
Is everything in KIS 2017 really done automatically? I like to customize my software a bit, that's why I am usin Comodo Firewall instead of Windows - because when some program tries to connect to the internet, I am prompted with a windows and I can decide if I let it connect or not or block it etc. Will KIS 2017 be able to provide me that kind of control?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
In my opinion, Avira/Panda has been the lightest for me overall, tested on single core CPU and minimal RAM 2GB-3GB. No slowdown, or drag while using software or games, added Comodo Firewall for test and it was still quick. These two also have tested in the past for least aggressive privacy policy compared to others.

CIS was very good, but a bit heavy, and same with AVG good but a bit slow at times.

AVG and Avast have privacy policies which aquire more data and things from its user. If privacy isnt an issue then its okay.

KIS I hear can be heavy or light depends on specs I think.

I would choose Avira + Comodo. over Avast, it runs faster.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Is there anyone with KIS who could compare his RAM usage with mine :)?

I'm using Kaspersky Total Security 2017... most of the time its somewhere around 60 :)

tgHzUa4.jpg

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
60 is not bad :) Could please anyone else share his RAM usage (while IDLE)?
no, KIS comsumes a lot more RAM ~200-350MB
the values in task manager are wrong
we should you process explorer or task manager Detail tab to check "Working Set"
avast.PNG

huge difference
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You made a good move to test Kaspersky IS, there are so many discount prices with money back guaranteed

Well Avira is good but pain in removal process when threats detected via realtime.

Avast as mentioned is definitely a good choice or why not Bitdefender Free?

Nowadays we should rely more on cloud and leave a HIPS/Autosandbox/Anti-Exe for your secondary backup.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You made a good move to test Kaspersky IS, there are so many discount prices with money back guaranteed

Well Avira is good but pain in removal process when threats detected via realtime.

Avast as mentioned is definitely a good choice or why not Bitdefender Free?

Nowadays we should rely more on cloud and leave a HIPS/Autosandbox/Anti-Exe for your secondary backup.
it's because BD free has nothing to tweak. Just on and off so we cannot increase the level of security when we want. It's also hard to whitelist stuffs and I heard it automatically scans the system while idle and cannot be disabled

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
it's because BD free has nothing to tweak. Just on and off so we cannot increase the level of security when we want. It's also hard to whitelist stuffs and I heard it automatically scans the system while idle and cannot be disabled

What about Comodo Cloud AV? The cloud ones have light impact on machine.

In fact Comodo Firewall alone might be enough, with some tweaks... and windows defender or something like this.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
R

Rodney74

In my opinion, Avira/Panda has been the lightest for me overall, tested on single core CPU and minimal RAM 2GB-3GB. No slowdown, or drag while using software or games, added Comodo Firewall for test and it was still quick. These two also have tested in the past for least aggressive privacy policy compared to others.

CIS was very good, but a bit heavy, and same with AVG good but a bit slow at times.

AVG and Avast have privacy policies which aquire more data and things from its user. If privacy isnt an issue then its okay.

KIS I hear can be heavy or light depends on specs I think.

I would choose Avira + Comodo. over Avast, it runs faster.

My Experience Exactly same as yours....

Avira and Comodo FW (Usings CS settings) very fast...I even noticed that if I used Avira or eset with Comodo FW, it seemed faster than using Win 10 Defender...

IF I was low on Processor, or Ram.. I would go Avira and Comodo FW, or Norton Security

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What about Comodo Cloud AV? The cloud ones have light impact on machine.

In fact Comodo Firewall alone might be enough, with some tweaks... and windows defender or something like this.
yeah I agree but not all cloud AVs have light impact. If they have very slow scanning speed and an extensive list of scanning file extensions, they may slow down the machine. Panda may somehow slow down the machine due to its ridiculously slow scanning speed

CCAV is fine but I just don't like comodo as it may conflict with some of the programs and drivers, particularly for laptop users

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My Experience Exactly same as yours....

Avira and Comodo FW (Usings CS settings) very fast...I even noticed that if I used Avira or eset with Comodo FW, it seemed faster than using Win 10 Defender...

IF I was low on Processor, or Ram.. I would go Avira and Comodo FW, or Norton Security

Yeah same here lol :) a Norton, Avira, and Comodo FW all had quick results for me too.
Bitdefender free was good and light too, but extremely slow scanner, and browsing had 2 second lag, Avast had this lag too.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.