Avira Free Antivirus sends suspicious files to Protection Cloud (APC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Disclaimer: I am neither an Avira or Malware-testing expert. Not click-bait either.

For Avira Antivirus users, you can enable this setting to get a notification before Avira wants to a Suspicious File(s) to their Cloud; Avira Protection Cloud (APC) for analysis.

Taken today, as tried to run a file from a simple web search - not recommended. It has a re-assuring fact that it's monitoring for anything suspicious. Avira Protection Cloud asking for permission with a list of file(s):

upload_2017-3-20_23-16-35.png

If found unwanted or malicious, it will be dealt with by Avira Antivirus - Security Alert shown below:

upload_2017-3-20_23-31-48.png

If you like what you see, you can enable this option in the settings window below:

Open Avira > Extra > Configuration (F8) > General > Advanced Protection.
Make sure "Enabled Protection Cloud" is checked and then mark "Confirm manually when sending suspicious files to Avira" > Apply and OK to save changes.

upload_2017-3-20_23-18-39.png

Sending suspicious files to Avira may vary depending on your computer usage and downloading habits.

Last edited:

Disclaimer: I am neither an Avira or Malware-testing expert. Not click-bait either.

For Avira Antivirus users, you can enable this setting to get a notification before Avira wants to a Suspicious File(s) to their Cloud; Avira Protection Cloud (APC) for analysis.

Taken today, as tried to run a file from a simple web search - not recommended. It has a re-assuring fact that it's monitoring for anything suspicious. Avira Protection Cloud asking for permission with a list of file(s):

View attachment 143689

If found unwanted or malicious, it will be dealt with by Avira Antivirus - Security Alert shown below:

View attachment 143691

If you like what you see, you can enable this option in the settings window below:

Open Avira > Extra > Configuration (F8) > General > Advanced Protection.
Make sure "Enabled Protection Cloud" is checked and then mark "Confirm manually when sending suspicious files to Avira" > Apply and OK to save changes.

View attachment 143690

Sending suspicious files to Avira may vary depending on your computer usage and downloading habits.

Disclaimer: I am neither an Avira or Malware-testing expert.

All correct.

Arrabida Rock

Level 3
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
I don't know why APC only works running files... :confused:
It should work with real-time protection, before running suspicious files... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Solarlynx

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
If you read your Avira scan logs, you will see that some file hashes are checked with the cloud, without needing to upload an actual file. If the file is found in the cache, the Protection Cloud will be skipped for that file.

It seems that in the case of something unknown, or really suspicious, it can request a file upload. In practice, I rarely see this happen, and my system is set to prompt for upload.

Reactions: Xsjx
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.