Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Today I installed Avira free on my desktop computer and I noticed that there isn't web protection component without custom install. Does Browser Safety completely cover this component's function?

If there is a malicious element in a webpage, will ABS block it, or the URL must be generally blacklisted in Avira's servers as malicious so to be blocked? I don't know if this question has a point as I don't know if web protection component worked this way.
Any information?
Thanks.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
You can enable the web-protection without the toolbar with a registry trick. Check raymond.cc forum.
Ok, thank you!
I wonder why cant I just click "dont install" in toolbar installation prompt, and the reg file is required too.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
You have to install the regfile and then during installation you can skip the toolbar. If you have already installed Avira then install the regfile then go to Programs and Features under Control Panel and click Modify for Avira. Then click the checkbox for web-protection. You will get the prompt to install the toolbar. Just click don't install and you will have the web-protection.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
You have to install the regfile and then during installation you can skip the toolbar. If you have already installed Avira then install the regfile then go to Programs and Features under Control Panel and click Modify for Avira. Then click the checkbox for web-protection. You will get the prompt to install the toolbar. Just click don't install and you will have the web-protection.
I just did it, and web protection did not installed. After this, I deleted the reg key that was created, tried to do it wothout the reg file and choosing dont install (the toolbar), no luck again. Got sick, and returned to Avast free, even it slows Chrome launching, and I 'll probably wait till they fix it.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Today I installed Avira free on my desktop computer and I noticed that there isn't web protection component without custom install. Does Browser Safety completely cover this component's function?

If there is a malicious element in a webpage, will ABS block it, or the URL must be generally blacklisted in Avira's servers as malicious so to be blocked? I don't know if this question has a point as I don't know if web protection component worked this way.
Any information?
Thanks.
@Nikos751, I thought KaptainBug's suggestions sounded very helpful, & hope it works.:)
I just did it, and web protection did not installed. After this, I deleted the reg key that was created, tried to do it wothout the reg file and choosing dont install (the toolbar), no luck again. Got sick, and returned to Avast free, even it slows Chrome launching, and I 'll probably wait till they fix it.
Nikos, I had a somewhat different problem with Avira Free & it's Real Time protection not working. I was frustrated,:mad: but didn't give in to uninstalling it from my desktop XP's sytem.:confused: I turned out to be an XP vulnerability using a "Guest Account".:oops: I didn't know there was a Chrome extension called "Avira Browser Safety Beta" until your posts here. If Avira Free has the "Web Protection" included, yet your problem is that it does not work, maybe you can try the extension for Chrome here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/avira-browser-safety-beta/flliilndjeohchalpbbcdekjklbdgfkk ;)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
@Nikos751, I thought KaptainBug's suggestions sounded very helpful, & hope it works.:)

Nikos, I had a somewhat different problem with Avira Free & it's Real Time protection not working. I was frustrated,:mad: but didn't give in to uninstalling it from my desktop XP's sytem.:confused: I turned out to be an XP vulnerability using a "Guest Account".:oops: I didn't know there was a Chrome extension called "Avira Browser Safety Beta" until your posts here. If Avira Free has the "Web Protection" included, yet your problem is that it does not work, maybe you can try the extension for Chrome here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/avira-browser-safety-beta/flliilndjeohchalpbbcdekjklbdgfkk ;)
ABS seems to work ok, but it cannot provide the protection that web component gives. What's strange, my brother just changed the setup via windows control panel, enabled web protection, and it was installed ok without clicking install at the ask toolbar prompt.
Maybe because he did not use the registry trick?

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
IMO Avira free is still very good without the web-protection. Any malware when it touches your hard-disk Avira's realtime protection will kick in. So no need to worry about not having the web-protection. Web-protection is a layer which stops at the browser level, otherwise the same malware gets detected by the realtime engine as well.

The best feature Avira included in its free version is the cloud protection. That said, i'm not sure why the registry hack did not work for you. There are two registry entries, one for 32 bit and other for 64 bit. Did you choose the right one for your system ? I formatted my PC yesterday and used the registry trick to activate web-protection in Avira and it worked well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could you give an example of malicious web content, and why it concerns you? :)

Don't forget anything malicious including exploit files* can be detected by the Antivirus itself. Alternatively, blocked by Google SafeBrowsing which protects users from Malicious and Phishing webpages. IE also offers SmartScreen against Malicious downloads with Application Ratings for less commonly downloaded executables. Known malicious files will be blocked by both IE and Chrome. So it's good to use a secure browser that is Chromium-based or check you SmartScreen filter is enabled on Internet Explorer (IE11 is supported by Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1).

* Avira Free does detect Exploit files. "All Avira products already detect such exploits..." as posted in Avira KB for measures against zero-day Java Exploits

Read and watch about Chromium / Chrome Security and Sandboxing.
https://www.google.com/intl/en-gb/chrome/browser/features.html#security
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29e0CtgXZSI (Chrome Sandbox video)

Remember this, "Avira - A Future without Toolbars"?

"ABS will eliminate the traditional toolbar, while providing a safe and aesthetically pleasing user experience. Unlike the previous “Searchfree Toolbar” developed and built by our partner Ask, ABS is built from scratch by the Avira Browser Safety development team. Working with our Avira URL Cloud team, and integrating market leading privacy technology from our partner Abine for “Do Not Track Me” capability, ABS is leading the way toward a future without toolbars." - Avira Beta Center for ABS

From the snippet above, they talk about eliminating toolbars, so it's a little odd they're still offering the Ask Toolbar for paying customers.

"With the inclusion of ABS, we have removed Webgaurd from the free offering and made it only available for those users who pay for our premium application." - Wilders post

You should be just as safe without the Webguard toolbar offered by Avira, because the last word from Avira CEO.. it's one of the reason to convince some of you to pay for our software. This just takes the..

Reactions: KaptainBug

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Could you give an example of malicious web content, and why it concerns you? :)
All these about IE & chrome built in protections are ok and I fully understand what you say. What concerns me is malware that enters the PC without clicking a link-downlading-running a file, via iframes for example.
Also, chrome is a very mainstream browser and is an obvious target for attacks and bypassings by malware (is this correct or chrome is enough bulletproof?).
..Do you say that web protection (not the toolbar) in Avira is almost completely useless? If yes, the same you can say for avast webshield.
A simple senario for you to understand what I want to say:
A known safe website for a while gets hacked and hosts malicious code that can exploit google chrome or flash that I have installed. Isn't it preferable (if can be detected) the web protection/shield component of the AV to scan the traffic and block the connection? If there is no sych component, then malicious code goes a step ahead towards infecting your PC as file antivirus is needed to detect the malware.

Also in the official Avira site, they say that Avira antivirus suite provides faster updates. What do they mean?

Last edited:

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Free version updates once in 6 hours, but you can add additional update jobs. Paid version updates every 2 hours.

Reactions: Nikos751

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Drive-by-downloads are rare these days. @Littlebits has a very good explanation about this. ;)

I personally think you're over-thinking all of this.. hope you find the answers you're searching for. :D

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Drive-by-downloads are rare these days. @Littlebits has a very good explanation about this. ;)

I personally think you're over-thinking all of this.. hope you find the answers you're searching for. :D
I 've read many posts of you, litllebits and other experienced & skilled people here in MT and I m glad that you share your knowledge. Maybe you 're right, I m overthinking of it but I want to learn as much as I can.
read again my last post if you want, I edited it and added a scenario of an infection to make you understand what I say. Thanks!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Nikos, if you are greatly concerned over possibly picking up malware while browsing try Sandboxie! It's protection utilizes a containment "sandbox" which means nothing gets through to your system. Be aware, all updates performed while in the "sandbox" are temporary. This means, updating Chrome for security updates should be done without using a sandbox. I use their free version; and there's even a giveaway here for Sandboxie Pro! http://malwaretips.com/threads/MalwareTips-com-invincea-sandboxie-pro-giveaway.24015/
Good luck, "...and (Luke) use the Force!":p

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Nikos, if you are greatly concerned over possibly picking up malware while browsing try Sandboxie! It's protection utilizes a containment "sandbox" which means nothing gets through to your system. Be aware, all updates performed while in the "sandbox" are temporary. This means, updating Chrome for security updates should be done without using a sandbox. I use their free version; and there's even a giveaway here for Sandboxie Pro! http://malwaretips.com/threads/MalwareTips-com-invincea-sandboxie-pro-giveaway.24015/
Good luck, "...and (Luke) use the Force!":p
I know about it I just dont
want to use it for now. Thanks for the giveaway link too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.