Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
  • Pros
    Includes password manager, software updater, and many other Avira tools. Excellent scores from antivirus labs. Very good score in malicious URL blocking test. Free.

• Cons
    Many components require payment for full functionality. Sluggish antivirus protection and scanning. Real-time protection missed some executable malware files.

• Bottom Line
    Avira Free Security Suite, introduced this year, packs a goodly collection of features beyond antivirus, but it doesn't come close to the power of a full-scale, paid security suite

Reactions: Rengar and DJ Panda

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
First of all it is not more, for years now, the lightweight antivirus that once it was.
They called Suite one thing that Suite is not so much to make you believe they have managed to do something new. It is not a Suite because it lacks the firewall, it is antivirus only with a series of useless junk.
Perhaps I am a bit blunt but they have taken the wrong way, ruining one of the best AV, as it was: spartan but very effective.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
First of all it is not more, for years now, the lightweight antivirus that once it was.
They called Suite one thing that Suite is not so much to make you believe they have managed to do something new. It is not a Suite because it lacks the firewall, it is antivirus only with a series of useless junk.
Perhaps I am a bit blunt but they have taken the wrong way, ruining one of the best AV, as it was: spartan but very effective.
Completely agree with that.
Years before, it was light and efficient. And when the signature based detection was the rule, it was one of the best. Now, it's disapointing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira Antivirus (2017)
For some this is pro review `` as good as bitdefender``
Avira's aggregate score, 9.3 of 10 points, puts it in a tie with Bitdefender.
They never said it wasn't, it just comes with a lot of crapware that no one actually wants.
PCMag.com said:
Excellent scores from antivirus labs. Very good score in malicious URL blocking test. Free.
During the Beta, I was unable to get Avira to install on the VM because Avira Launcher / Connect was doing it's thing and stalling everything.

Bloatware is a no-no, that's why people use Qihoo 360 or Bitdefender Free Antivirus.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
There was a time when the launcher didn't exist :)
Then, there was a time when you could use the offline installer and never install the launcher :cool:
Then, there was a time when you could uninstall the launcher after installing Avira :p
But now, the launcher is mandatory :(
It's their strategy: they want us to install this launcher...:mad:

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
They never said it wasn't, it just comes with a lot of crapware that no one actually wants.

During the Beta, I was unable to get Avira to install on the VM because Avira Launcher / Connect was doing it's thing and stalling everything.

Bloatware is a no-no, that's why people use Qihoo 360 or Bitdefender Free Antivirus.
You dont need to install the **premium** stuff

I actually like the launcher after some time ;)

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Looks to me that this free security suite is nothing more than a blatant advertising attempt by Avira. I figured that the pop-ups generated by their free AV and their launcher being positioned as nothing more than a perpetual mandatory advertisement for their other products (even though they continue to argue it's existence is necessary) would be enough but I guess not. :rolleyes:

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Most Home user AV vendors loads lot of crap/bloat/adds to push sales, the only one i know who doesn't is...guess who? Emsisoft.
But emsisoft has munch fps and they didnt fix it for me ( send email everything)
I had 1 year license but stopped after 96 days :p

Also Avira dont pushes it you can install it optionally unlike others.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Today, security suites, antivirus and anti-malware brands, do their best to make their product light on resources, more centralized and easier to use. Overall, combining effectiveness with user-friendliness as much as possible. And guess what, except one brand:rolleyes:....AVIRA.

When you use AVIRA it's like the security products of the early 2000s. Lots of useless stuff coming with it. The antivirus is a product of it's own. The firewall manager is another seperated product of it's own and also that annoying Avira connect is also another seperated product which you cannot avoid to install. Added to that, if you take a look at the task manager, AVIRA has tons of processes. And it's very heavy on the system.

And how not to forget that damn Luke Filewalker popping up each time, taking pleasure at irritating you.
15 malwares detected = 15 Luke Filewalkers killing every single bit of resources on your Pc.

The only good point is that,it's true that it has an outstanding level of detection, and their cloud is particularly effective.:p

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
That would be the right thing to do, but the engineers at Avira seems to love the way it is.

I like it too
Today, security suites, antivirus and anti-malware brands, do their best to make their product light on resources, more centralized and easier to use. Overall, combining effectiveness with user-friendliness as much as possible. And guess what, except one brand:rolleyes:....AVIRA.

When you use AVIRA it's like the security products of the early 2000s. Lots of useless stuff coming with it. The antivirus is a product of it's own. The firewall manager is another seperated product of it's own and also that annoying Avira connect is also another seperated product which you cannot avoid to install. Added to that, if you take a look at the task manager, AVIRA has tons of processes. And it's very heavy on the system.

And how not to forget that damn Luke Filewalker popping up each time, taking pleasure at irritating you.
15 malwares detected = 15 Luke Filewalkers killing every single bit of resources on your Pc.

The only good point is that,it's true that it has an outstanding level of detection, and their cloud is particularly effective.:p

And 1 thing Avira is the most privacy friendly av ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.