Avira Free Security Suite (2017) - PCMag Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheErzengel

Level 2
Verified
Dec 21, 2012
it was my favorite antivirus, it was the first security product to pay a license. But now it's heavy, with a horrible launcher and with garbage features.

I am very happy with Emsisoft

Reactions: spaceoctopus

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
2014..... ya know its now 2017?

Avira changed alot since 2017 version.
So have other companies, but seeing as this is our only point of reference I'm inclined to roll with it until another is published.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Well @Xsjx, Avira offers tons of free stuff, browser add-ons, a ''free'' security suite, system optimizer, software updater and the like. The ideal method to sniff out huge amounts of metadata from users. I doubt Avira is really privacy friendly ;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
So have other companies, but seeing as this is our only point of reference I'm inclined to roll with it until another is published.
Read yourself?

Well @Xsjx, Avira offers tons of free stuff, browser add-ons, a ''free'' security suite, system optimizer, software updater and the like. The ideal method to sniff out huge amounts of metadata from users. I doubt Avira is really privacy friendly ;)
Thats premium stuff just dont install if you dont pay for it :p

Reactions: Amelith Nargothrond

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@Xsjx You start talking about ''other companies'' and you start talking about premium stuff and money, running away from the privacy friendly ''theme'' you yourself started talking about. I guess you're some kind of troll from Avira :D Almost everything is inconsistent in what you say.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
@Xsjx You start talking about ''other companies'' and you start talking about premium stuff and money, running away from the privacy friendly ''theme'' you yourself started talking about. I guess you're some kind of troll from Avira :D Almost everything is inconsistent in what you say.
?
I am not even using avira at the moment but f secure..

But YOU began talking about the other stuff and not me ..
Just read the pricacy policy from Avira...

Spaceoctopus you dont need to take down Avira, Because its a great program,Privacy friendly, Great detection.

I cant say if its the best but its the only one i didnt have problems with ;)

And why i am using f secure at the moment?
Because i like it too and i never used it b4

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Read yourself?
I read it, but neither you nor I can prove their data collection practices have changed since 2014 so I will continue to refer to the data transmission study until there's evidence to prove it's obsolete. If you don't like that then you're free to ask AVC if they'll publish another one.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I read it, but neither you nor I can prove their data collection practices have changed since 2014 so I will continue to refer to the data transmission study until there's evidence to prove it's obsolete. If you don't like that then you're free to ask AVC if they'll publish another one.
As you like the report escan would be munch better than emsisoft... and avira is 1 lower than emsisoft....

So Avira and emsisoft are likely the same for privacy and escan no 1

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Don't know much about the free version (long term usage wise), but about the premium (and business) versions I can say this:
  • Never head one single infection for years (!) in any one of the environments I fully control (where I = my company and my guys), with 10+ (minimum) and up to 100 machines and even more noob (!) users - though I also use other type of restrictions and enforcements and also because of the general dynamics of malware infections/spreadings
  • I actually enjoy the bundled apps (some of them); its centralized location make my life easier
  • support is so-so, could be better
  • occasionally critical issues get into the production builds (like the one I currently have in my personal environments, the high disk usage without any apparent reason, after upgrading Win to Creators - AV performs no updates, no heavy on-demand or scheduled scanning); rare stuff, but for businesses, is not something I can overlook (or forget)
  • occasionally sluggish if malware is detected (user experience wise), but the security is not affected
  • occasionally sluggish while it updates/upgrades itself
My overall experience with Avira (premium packages with bundled stuff) is very good, mainly because of the protection it apparently (still) offers (again, some stuff enforced/limited by other type of layers).

About the free version: don't install stuff you don't need. Easy. It has annoying ads, but in the end is up to you what you feel is more important for you to have.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
As you like the report escan would be munch better than emsisoft... and avira is 1 lower than emsisoft....

So Avira and emsisoft are likely the same for privacy and escan no 1
Depends on what you information you consider private. For me personally these are the main sticking points:
  • eScan and Fortinet don't assign a unique identifier to your PC while all others do.
  • None of the five listed transmit the Windows username or the local IP and only Fortinet transmits non-executable files (able to opt-out).
  • Avira, eScan and Fortinet record all domains visited while using their AVs while AhnLab and Emsisoft don't.
If I was going for privacy, AhnLab would be my first choice, Emsisoft second, eScan third, Fortinet fourth and Avira fifth.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Depends on what you information you consider private. For me personally these are the main sticking points:
  • eScan and Fortinet don't assign a unique identifier to your PC while all others do.
  • None of the five listed transmit the Windows username or the local IP and only Fortinet transmits non-executable files (able to opt-out).
  • Avira, eScan and Fortinet record all domains visited while using their AVs while AhnLab and Emsisoft don't.
If I was going for privacy, AhnLab would be my first choice, Emsisoft second, eScan third, Fortinet fourth and Avira fifth.
Avira doenst log wich sites you visit.
Its only for the url behavior cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.