detection: Avira
Prevention: Avast
Lightness: Both are equal
Bugs: avast

make your choice.

D

Deleted member 178

since v7 Avast has a lot of bugs, check their forum ^^

Personally i had only one with it but it was quite annoying, i couldn't click on the options in the popups.

but i still vote for Avast because i like features.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
since v7 Avast has a lot of bugs, check their forum ^^

Personally i had only one with it but it was quite annoying, i couldn't click on the options in the popups.

but i still vote for Avast because i like features.

Most of the bugs in Avast have been minor, some users may have experienced major issues but may not be cause by bugs in the product but incompatibilities with other software.

I have not had one single bug with Avast 7 on Windows 7 but I have not tried it on Windows 8, I don't think it is ready yet just like most other security products that are not 100% compatible with Windows 8.

Avast has more to offer for free compared to others.

Thanks.:D

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I have had some Major problems with Avast such as Computer unbootable (Confirmed as a bad update), 4 BSOD's (was a problem that avast was fixing), Sandbox leaks, and scans freezing.

Other than those problems in which you may or may not have, Avast Wins!

On another note,
I pretty much gave up on the free AV market for right now.
Heres why:
AVG - I never trusted as to many family and friends had infections.
MSE - Same as AVG.
Avira - Its alright but lacks important features in my liking
Avast - As I mentioned above, I have had to many tech problems with v7
Comodo - v6 is a mess
I'm pretty happy with my paid products NIS, WSA, and EIS (However I have EIS inactive atm), They Never let me down. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
They are both good, but just depends on what you want in an AV. I personally would go with Avast as it has settings that you can configure to your liking. Not saying Avira doesn't, just have not really enjoyed Avira.

P

Plexx

Littlebits said:
Most of the bugs in Avast have been minor, some users may have experienced major issues but may not be cause by bugs in the product but incompatibilities with other software.

on 2 laptops with same builds, one system had Streamline updates working while the other for some reason it never worked.

That was observed in several v7 builds ago. Everything is fine now on latest build for Windows 7.

The major bug they had for Windows 7 were the BSODs which would later on be fixed.

MrExplorer said:
Which give better protection.
Which wind in term of features.

Detection rate:
Avira: Higher detection rate but at a cost of some higher false positives.

Avast: Decent

Protection modules:
Avira: Web protection which requires Toolbar to be installed (Work around exists if user has Windows 7 that is not Home Premium or below)

Avast: Web Protection, WebRep (questionable at times), Mail/IM/P2P Protection (useless in my opinion), Behavior Blocker (Behavior Shield), Auto-Sanbox (quite questionable to be honest).

Pick your choice.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Overall, both are as good as each other, slight variation in Features and Detection rates. But given that it should be installed on 2 PC's used by the same person, it should give same results.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Features: Avast

make your choice.

Will definitely agree here too. Detection goes to Avira though because from experience(ran a dual boot with both Avast / Avira) there were a lot of detections that Avast missed. Avast has more features. Bugs yes too.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Raul90 said:
Umbra Corp. said:

make your choice.

Will definitely agree here too. Detection goes to Avira though because from experience(ran a dual boot with both Avast / Avira) there were a lot of detections that Avast missed. Avast has more features. Bugs yes too.

It has been awhile since I used Avira, but when I did compare both of them, it appeared at first that Avira was detecting a lot of malware that Avast missed. Then I tested the malware samples in Virtualbox about 90% of them were not even malware just false positives.

The only way that you will know for sure that Avira really is detecting more malware samples is to run them in a virtual environment and verify that they are real actual malware. Just because Avira detects the samples and Avast doesn't detect the samples doesn't mean they are real malware.

Avira is known to have a high false positive rate, another reason why I rather use Avast.

Reactions: VladDracul

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Littlebits said:
Raul90 said:
Umbra Corp. said:

make your choice.

It has been awhile since I used Avira, but when I did compare both of them, it appeared at first that Avira was detecting a lot of malware that Avast missed. Then I tested the malware samples in Virtualbox about 90% of them were not even malware just false positives.

The only way that you will know for sure that Avira really is detecting more malware samples is to run them in a virtual environment and verify that they are real actual malware. Just because Avira detects the samples and Avast doesn't detect the samples doesn't mean they are real malware.

Avira is known to have a high false positive rate, another reason why I rather use Avast.

I have to agree with Littlebits here,"just cause of Avira detects more samples than Avast does,it does not mean they are true Malware". They can be false-positives,also I agree with that Avira have MORE false positives than Avast have so. Also,I would rather go with Avast if they fix bugs,but I prefer paid AV'S like Norton Internet Security 2013,Emsisoft Internet Security Pack etc. rather than "trusting" those free ones,who want to give protection for people free? Nobody will give someone a watch-dog with sharp fangs free to somebody's house protection.

Reactions: Littlebits

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Well at this moment in time im using avira and it has been a lot more friendlier to my pc than avast was unfortunately.
4 BSODS in a row and i narrowed it down to avast 8 as being the culprit.

Ever since i have installed avira my computer has been a lot more peaceful.
Im not knocking avast as it is a fine av but it was causing too many issues at boot up and so i said a sad au revoir and see you later when you feel better.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Being an AV user before, got some experiences using older version of Avast and Avira.

Overall Avast is my current pick in terms of overall performances.

oliverjia

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2013
funny how ppl pick "features" over detection rate. I mean, what is the whole pint of a Av? What matters most is the ability to detect and remove viruses, all the rest "features" are non-issue. What's the point if you are infected but your av has tons of features while none of these features will help you? in such cases, other features are useless crap.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Upon browsing the avast forum it would seem that avast 8 is BSODS galore as there are countless threads about this version.

Not a terribly stable product at the moment.

Kanata

Jun 6, 2013
If for this thread I'd go for Avast.

From I've tried so far from Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, Eset, Trend Micro,
Kingsoft, Comodo, Fortinet, MSE, Outpost.
I've found out that Avast behaviour os mostly like Kaspsersky.
They've same low false positives & detect those real active virus.

gonwk

Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Hi folks,

I know this Thread is from last year ... but I am curious about the Comment UMBRA and others have made regarding Preferring Avast over Avira because of the "Avast Features" ...

Q: Could someone shed a light on Which Features are they referring to?

Thanks,

G! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.