Battle Avira Free vs Avast Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Definitely Avast.

Avast have implemented new features that helps in zereoday protection.
Avast latest .2013 has
Streaming Updates (updates every few mins)
Signature
Heur
Evo-Gen (Quite good)
FileRep (Quite good, other detections are FileMeta, FileString, etc...)
DeepScreen (This is still in improvements & works now but needs little time to be effective. With time it will be effective like Evo-Gen)
Dyna Gen & Dyna Binaries (This is still in improvement. Dont know much about this but I think detections have started)

The only thing I dont like in Avast is the additional softwares. And I think they should add anti-phishing in webshield too like their toolbar AOS i.e Avast Online Shield. I install only File & Webshield & nothing else. I dont have Outlook or any mail installed so no Mail shield. Its light & effective.

Avira has only signature & heur. New cloud is still kind of work in progress in Avira free. Updates are once in 6 hours. No effective zeroday protection in Avira IMO.

The only free AV I liked other than Avast is Bitdefender Free. But BD free is not well tested in comparison to Avast. And there are couple bugs in BD free & now support kind of seems non existent. The forum is kind of dead i.e no info. A BD free staff use to post in Wilders forum very often but now he too disappeared.

So for me Avast wins hands down against any free AV.

Offcoz if one is expert enough can use excellent free security like Comodo.

For average users, Avast is the one to go IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Definitely Avast.

Avast have implemented new features that helps in zereoday protection.
Avast latest .2013 has
Streaming Updates (updates every few mins)
Signature
Heur
Evo-Gen (Quite good)
FileRep (Quite good, other detections are FileMeta, FileString, etc...)
DeepScreen (This is still in improvements & works now but needs little time to be effective. With time it will be effective like Evo-Gen)
Dyna Gen & Dyna Binaries (This is still in improvement. Dont know much about this but I think detections have started)

The only thing I dont like in Avast is the additional softwares. And I think they should add anti-phishing in webshield too like their toolbar AOS i.e Avast Online Shield. I install only File & Webshield & nothing else. I dont have Outlook or any mail installed so no Mail shield. Its light & effective.

Avira has only signature & heur. New cloud is still kind of work in progress in Avira free. Updates are once in 6 hours. No effective zeroday protection in Avira IMO.

The only free AV I liked other than Avast is Bitdefender Free. But BD free is not well tested in comparison to Avast. And there are couple bugs in BD free & now support kind of seems non existent. The forum is kind of dead i.e no info. A BD free staff use to post in Wilders forum very often but now he too disappeared.

So for me Avast wins hands down against any free AV.

Offcoz if one is expert enough can use excellent free security like Comodo.

For average users, Avast is the one to go IMO.
Are you sure about what you say for Avira at least for now? I found Avira cloud very effective when tested undetected malware in VM. Apart from that, their engine seems better than Avast and can cover the lack of more advanced cloud technologies that Avast offers. Also, you can add update jobs and practically update it as often as you want.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Are you sure about what you say for Avira at least for now? I found Avira cloud very effective when tested undetected malware in VM. Apart from that, their engine seems better than Avast and can cover the lack of more advanced cloud technologies that Avast offers. Also, you can add update jobs and practically update it as often as you want.
How do you use "Avira Cloud" I've not found out how to use that yet.

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
In my opinion, Avast is better than Avira, due to its Web Protection (Anti-Phishing) which prevents infections that may cause from harmful sites, and it has less false positive rates. And yes, on Windows 7, Avast may cause 'just a bit' delay on booting / startup time of OS, but I'd not mind it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.