Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I voted for ESET because it has been tested here and showed some great result. very light

Norton: no, no, no, overated. It's the reason why I got infected last time
avira: can be good for basic users but the IS isn't worth the price and it's not good if you don't have layered protection. Light during idle but very very heavy immediately after getting infection because of "system being scanned" popup

Reactions: Jinx22

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
I voted for ESET because it has been tested here and showed some great result. very light

Norton: no, no, no, overated. It's the reason why I got infected last time
avira: can be good for basic users but the IS isn't worth the price and it's not good if you don't have layered protection. Light during idle but very very heavy immediately after getting infection because of "system being scanned" popup
It seems Eset is lighter
Do I need protection layers aside it?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It seems Eset is lighter
yes of course, layered protection is a must-have nowadays. The AVs have layered protection itself but at least you need 2 softwares to narrow your chance to get infected

I can recommend voodooshield free/pro in autopilot mode + disable wscript.exe
you can pretty much have a save PC

Reactions: Durden and Jinx22

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
yes of course, layered protection is a must-have nowadays. The AVs have layered protection itself but at least you need 2 softwares to narrow your chance to get infected

I can recommend voodooshield free/pro in autopilot mode + disable wscript.exe
you can pretty much have a save PC
Thank you very much my friend :)

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
from my experience Norton is lighter than ESET .
and no , Norton is not overrated . It's a very good piece of software . though with a reckless user any software would be "overrated" even if he had his system totally locked-down by security software.
Norton is a well established security vendor , it's better than eset with 0-days . and in recent years it became really light that it's a pleasure to use .
here at MalwareTips ESET is always preferred by the users , I dunno why , maybe due to the highly configurable HIPs .. but if you tune both program to their best protection settings you'll find that Norton is lighter .
protection-wise , well , it depends on that HIPs configuration but the question is , is it practical ? not for most users .

Reactions: ttto and Jinx22

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
It seems Eset is lighter
it really depends on your behavior on your keyboard. if you know what to download, to open and to execute, then you don't need layered protection, but if you surf and hit anything like a Tom chasing after Jerry, then you need it

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I would say the same as @CMLew , I would give them a try. In my case, I think lightest ones are ESET and Norton. ESET always has been very light on the system, but Norton I think is the one that most improved the performance in the last years. As Norton User, I'll recommend it. But I think both (Norton and ESET) will give you very good performance, I think a bit better than Avira.

Reactions: Jinx22 and Durden

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
it really depends on your behavior on your keyboard. if you know what to download, to open and to execute, then you don't need layered protection, but if you surf and hit anything like a Tom chasing after Jerry, then you need it
Yes, I used to download files that can be affected.

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
I would say the same as @CMLew , I would give them a try. In my case, I think lightest ones are ESET and Norton. ESET always has been very light on the system, but Norton I think is the one that most improved the performance in the last years. As Norton User, I'll recommend it. But I think both (Norton and ESET) will give you very good performance, I think a bit better than Avira.
You're right, I've noticed that Norton isn't heavy like in the past.

Reactions: ttto

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, I used to download files that can be affected.
so voodooshield is suitable for you
it has VoodooAi and virustotal engine so when the files are executed, VS wil show you the ratings of the files if they are safe or not and the result from virustotal, you can decide yourself

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
from my experience Norton is lighter than ESET .
and no , Norton is not overrated . It's a very good piece of software . though with a reckless user any software would be "overrated" even if he had his system totally locked-down by security software.
Norton is a well established security vendor , it's better than eset with 0-days . and in recent years it became really light that it's a pleasure to use .
here at MalwareTips ESET is always preferred by the users , I dunno why , maybe due to the highly configurable HIPs .. but if you tune both program to their best protection settings you'll find that Norton is lighter .
protection-wise , well , it depends on that HIPs configuration but the question is , is it practical ? not for most users .
Yes, I tried Norton and it's not heavy.. I'm going to give a new try for Eset to compare.

Reactions: Durden and ttto

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I tried Norton and Eset but not Avira

If you also install and trialed ESET, the you should got your answer. As you see, there's so much feedback with different opinion on who is lighter. That is because we all on different systems running different types of programme. So its best to see it yourself in your own systems.

For me, I voted none unfortunately, because they all doesn't work for me in my system.

Reactions: Durden and Jinx22

Jinx22

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
If you also install and trialed ESET, the you should got your answer. As you see, there's so much feedback with different opinion on who is lighter. That is because we all on different systems running different types of programme. So its best to see it yourself in your own systems.

For me, I voted none unfortunately, because they all doesn't work for me in my system.
Yes, that's right, I'm installing Eset after trying Norton

can I ask you what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.