Avira licensing changes.

Discussion in 'Avira' started by Slyguy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Hey guys, about 2 years ago I purchased a 3 year license for Avira Ultimate. It was billed as 'One User, Unlimited Devices'. Back when I purchased this I got clarification that as long as I owned the devices, the license could be used freely - up to 10. Which was perfect for my household!

I used it for about 6 months, removed all of the devices and left it sit. Yesterday I was going to install it to test on a couple of machines at home and got denied saying it was 'over' the provisioning. I checked the portal and it was only installed on one device!

I reached out to Avira support and they told me they quietly changed their policy from user based to device based and hence my (expensive) license that was for 1 user, unlimited devices was now just a useless 1 PC license costing way too much. Support was unwilling to help me, despite me sending them the original bill of sale and documents showing it was (1 User, Unlimited Devices).

I believe this is very bad form on behalf of Avira. Selling something then a short time later changing it significantly without offering any compensation. I don't think I will do business with Avira again.

2. antreas

antreas Guest

And then they say pirating is bad.

3. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Definitely not cool. I guess they will learn their lesson only after losing customers. Where you live, don't you have consumer protection laws or something there?

4. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Good, this proves avira is not only a bad product but assuming what you are saying it's accurate it is also run by a dishonest organization. Find something else to use.

5. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I agree with SHvFl, take it as a lesson and move on, please don't let one bad experience steer you to anything else less than honest because, yes @antreas Piracy is bad, it is theft if he steals his next protection he is no better than the corrupt azzhats over at Avira, and I hope he see's that too.
    This is sad but not uncommon, but as word spreads like the OP did here it keeps us all from falling victim and that makes us
    a stronger community for it.
    @Slyguy if you need help affording a replacement I may be able to help brother, PM me.

6. NikolayfromRussia

Jul 3, 2014
    As advised above you should contact consumer protection office or smth like or warn them (avira that you do it). From my own experience...... About 3 years ago I bought a software but I didn't like it so I asked them for refund. They started playing with me. I paid with Webmoney (Russian e-money). They told me that couldn't refund to Webmoney. So, I asked them to do for Paypal. But they replied me that they also couldn't do it because I paid with another payment system (webmoney) :p As you see they didn't want to refund me. But I found a good soluton warning them that I would contact a consumer protection office. The next day they contacted me with apologizes for inconvenience and refunded me. For sure I didn't want to contact a consumer protection I just warned them with it.

7. Elpibe

Elpibe Level 3

Sep 26, 2015
    Argentina
    Once you buy something they cant change what you pay for, its against the law (i think any country law) except that the change benefict you. And they still have the plan for unlimited (25) devices, so, like in other comments says, if you found someone that can defend you, it will be an easy win.

8. kamla5abi

kamla5abi Level 4

May 15, 2017
    Canada
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    #9 kamla5abi, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  9. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    I agree. If I wanted to pursue it I could.

Support clarified to me what they did, which I find even more distasteful. Basically what they did was - if you have an unlimited license for 1 user when they made the secret change they 'allowed' all of the devices already in use for that user to continue. Essentially locking the unlimited to whatever you currently had in use.. Be that 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 etc... However if you removed any devices you couldn't re-add any new ones. If you had no devices in use then your license became a 1 device license. Which was the case for me.

The fact they didn't notify anyone of this change is dirty tricks..

Update- I've notified support that I will attempt a chargeback if they refuse to offer any remediation. Thankfully, my CC offers an 'enhanced' warranty/fitness period.

10. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Good luck keep us posted. ;)

11. kamla5abi

kamla5abi Level 4

May 15, 2017
    Canada
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    lmao thats even worse, i agree!
    this forum needs a facepalm emoji :p;)

12. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Sadly, I used my paypal account to buy Avira. I had thought I used my dedicated online purchasing credit card. Huge mistake. Paypal can't help. I could get my credit union to reverse it but my credit union requires a bunch of hoops for me to jump through... Ultimately, it's too much work. Oh well, lesson learned for me, I won't trust Avira again.

Just be advised they pulled this nonsense and could pull it again!

13. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    yea well not many software dev keep their lifetime promise since it's a bad financial promise over time.

14. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Lifetime? I paid for a 3 year, unlimited device account but they did this to everyone that purchased Avira Unlimited, 1 year, 2 year or 3 year everyone got the shaft.

15. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    No, not suppressed, remember kids visit here too, I have my own and would water it down
    for them out of respect, so I will do no different here as well ;)

16. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Avira should notify clearly to those users who purchased the license on previous policy cause that is too way unjust and unfair, remember that it's the right of anyone to inform immediately so that it will take a little time to create an adjustment for conduct a refund.

Information must be distributed immediately cause not all people are up to date on the information.

17. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    This is terrible, what the hell happened to Avira they used to have a great product and they were great to deal with. I'll never use them again because of this. Thanks for sharing your experience

18. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    oh that's a different story. *** Avira, literally.

19. NikolayfromRussia

Jul 3, 2014
    Just checked the prices for Avira and eset. A 3 year license for 1 device costs $103 while eset smart security for 3 year/3 devices is about $60 (I checked on Avira/eset Russian online stores).
    I've never used Avira and not going to do as I understand their support and treatment to their customers is bad :mad: