Avira licensing changes.

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slyguy

Level 28
Jan 27, 2017
Operating System
Other OS
Hey guys, about 2 years ago I purchased a 3 year license for Avira Ultimate. It was billed as 'One User, Unlimited Devices'. Back when I purchased this I got clarification that as long as I owned the devices, the license could be used freely - up to 10. Which was perfect for my household!

I used it for about 6 months, removed all of the devices and left it sit. Yesterday I was going to install it to test on a couple of machines at home and got denied saying it was 'over' the provisioning. I checked the portal and it was only installed on one device!

I reached out to Avira support and they told me they quietly changed their policy from user based to device based and hence my (expensive) license that was for 1 user, unlimited devices was now just a useless 1 PC license costing way too much. Support was unwilling to help me, despite me sending them the original bill of sale and documents showing it was (1 User, Unlimited Devices).

I believe this is very bad form on behalf of Avira. Selling something then a short time later changing it significantly without offering any compensation. I don't think I will do business with Avira again.

SHvFl

Level 32
Content Creator
Verified
Nov 19, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Emsisoft
Hey guys, about 2 years ago I purchased a 3 year license for Avira Ultimate. It was billed as 'One User, Unlimited Devices'. Back when I purchased this I got clarification that as long as I owned the devices, the license could be used freely - up to 10. Which was perfect for my household!

I used it for about 6 months, removed all of the devices and left it sit. Yesterday I was going to install it to test on a couple of machines at home and got denied saying it was 'over' the provisioning. I checked the portal and it was only installed on one device!

I reached out to Avira support and they told me they quietly changed their policy from user based to device based and hence my (expensive) license that was for 1 user, unlimited devices was now just a useless 1 PC license costing way too much. Support was unwilling to help me, despite me sending them the original bill of sale and documents showing it was (1 User, Unlimited Devices).

I believe this is very bad form on behalf of Avira. Selling something then a short time later changing it significantly without offering any compensation. I don't think I will do business with Avira again.
Good, this proves avira is not only a bad product but assuming what you are saying it's accurate it is also run by a dishonest organization. Find something else to use.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 52
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Operating System
Linux Mint
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
Good, this proves avira is not only a bad product but assuming what you are saying it's accurate it is also run by a dishonest organization. Find something else to use.
I agree with SHvFl, take it as a lesson and move on, please don't let one bad experience steer you to anything else less than honest because, yes @antreas Piracy is bad, it is theft if he steals his next protection he is no better than the corrupt azzhats over at Avira, and I hope he see's that too.
This is sad but not uncommon, but as word spreads like the OP did here it keeps us all from falling victim and that makes us
a stronger community for it.
@Slyguy if you need help affording a replacement I may be able to help brother, PM me.

Jul 3, 2014
As advised above you should contact consumer protection office or smth like or warn them (avira that you do it). From my own experience...... About 3 years ago I bought a software but I didn't like it so I asked them for refund. They started playing with me. I paid with Webmoney (Russian e-money). They told me that couldn't refund to Webmoney. So, I asked them to do for Paypal. But they replied me that they also couldn't do it because I paid with another payment system (webmoney) :p As you see they didn't want to refund me. But I found a good soluton warning them that I would contact a consumer protection office. The next day they contacted me with apologizes for inconvenience and refunded me. For sure I didn't want to contact a consumer protection I just warned them with it.

Sep 26, 2015
Once you buy something they cant change what you pay for, its against the law (i think any country law) except that the change benefict you. And they still have the plan for unlimited (25) devices, so, like in other comments says, if you found someone that can defend you, it will be an easy win.

May 15, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
BitDefender
Last edited:

Slyguy

Level 28
Jan 27, 2017
Operating System
Other OS
Once you buy something they cant change what you pay for, its against the law (i think any country law) except that the change benefict you. And they still have the plan for unlimited (25) devices, so, like in other comments says, if you found someone that can defend you, it will be an easy win.
I agree. If I wanted to pursue it I could.

Support clarified to me what they did, which I find even more distasteful. Basically what they did was - if you have an unlimited license for 1 user when they made the secret change they 'allowed' all of the devices already in use for that user to continue. Essentially locking the unlimited to whatever you currently had in use.. Be that 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 etc... However if you removed any devices you couldn't re-add any new ones. If you had no devices in use then your license became a 1 device license. Which was the case for me.

The fact they didn't notify anyone of this change is dirty tricks..

Update- I've notified support that I will attempt a chargeback if they refuse to offer any remediation. Thankfully, my CC offers an 'enhanced' warranty/fitness period.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 52
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Operating System
Linux Mint
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny

Support clarified to me what they did, which I find even more distasteful. Basically what they did was - if you have an unlimited license for 1 user when they made the secret change they 'allowed' all of the devices already in use for that user to continue. Essentially locking the unlimited to whatever you currently had in use.. Be that 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 etc... However if you removed any devices you couldn't re-add any new ones. If you had no devices in use then your license became a 1 device license. Which was the case for me.

Update- I've notified support that I will attempt a chargeback if they refuse to offer any remediation. Thankfully, my CC offers an 'enhanced' warranty/fitness period.
Good luck keep us posted. ;)

May 15, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
BitDefender

lmao thats even worse, i agree!
this forum needs a facepalm emoji :p;)

Slyguy

Level 28
Jan 27, 2017
Operating System
Other OS
Sadly, I used my paypal account to buy Avira. I had thought I used my dedicated online purchasing credit card. Huge mistake. Paypal can't help. I could get my credit union to reverse it but my credit union requires a bunch of hoops for me to jump through... Ultimately, it's too much work. Oh well, lesson learned for me, I won't trust Avira again.

Just be advised they pulled this nonsense and could pull it again!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 52
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Operating System
Linux Mint
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
Freedom Of Speech is
flat out supported in here when stands need to be taken, @_CyberGhosT_
for example in this case: kore _ rupt 455h472! GREAT and say it like it is,
No, not suppressed, remember kids visit here too, I have my own and would water it down
for them out of respect, so I will do no different here as well ;)

jamescv7

Level 61
Verified
Mar 15, 2011
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Microsoft
Avira should notify clearly to those users who purchased the license on previous policy cause that is too way unjust and unfair, remember that it's the right of anyone to inform immediately so that it will take a little time to create an adjustment for conduct a refund.

Information must be distributed immediately cause not all people are up to date on the information.