Slyguy

Level 39
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Other OS
Just checked the prices for Avira and eset. A 3 year license for 1 device costs $103 while eset smart security for 3 year/3 devices is about $60 (I checked on Avira/eset Russian online stores).
I've never used Avira and not going to do as I understand their support and treatment to their customers is bad :mad:
Agreed. Avira actually has become quite expensive, especially if they aren't honoring unlimited devices of their ultimate. Much better options IMO. Look at that deal on Bit Defender in the deals section, it's amazing.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
i am amazed that people are willing to pay high prices for AVs , they are so useless that they should be free. especially when you use Win8/10...

Slyguy

Level 39
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Other OS
i am amazed that people are willing to pay high prices for AVs , they are so useless that they should be free. especially when you use Win8/10...
It depends what you consider 'high' really. It's a subjective thing. I don't consider what I spent on Avira to be more than a fairly irrelevant expense but rather more of a principle about how a company should operate and the integrity behind them. Certainly not enough money to spend more than a passing thought to recovering and then walking away from it. Which is this case, the thread is the passing thought - and warning to others. In fact, if I tried to recover it so I could just give it away to someone on here or a relative, etc. Wealth is a very subjective thing, I don't even consider something under a thousand bucks to be 'high'. For some other folks, that bar might be $100. For others, $10000.

When I was a poor college student I used to think some guy in a high end BMW was a 'tool' and was wasting coin. My life has progressed to the point now I think 'Bro has coin, good for him.'. Without judgement. Wherever you are in life it tends to color the world and your perception of it.

I couldn't agree anymore! I haven't used 3rd party AV on my desktop for at least a year now and have not looked back once. I don't miss the slow downs, adverts and bloat of AV at all.

If you're using Windows 10, configured your system correctly...and use it correctly...there's no need for a pay/real time AV product at all IMHO. Just use Defender and tweak the Group Policy/Registry settings and use an offline scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit once a week/month.

Slyguy

Level 39
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Other OS
I couldn't agree anymore! I haven't used 3rd party AV on my desktop for at least a year now and have not looked back once. I don't miss the slow downs, adverts and bloat of AV at all.

If you're using Windows 10, configured your system correctly...and use it correctly...there's no need for a pay/real time AV product at all IMHO. Just use Defender and tweak the Group Policy/Registry settings and use an offline scanner like Emsisoft Emergency Kit once a week/month.
I humbly disagree.. If my experience is any indicator, this absolutely isn't enough. Especially in this day and age of extremely potent threats and state sponsored code being leaked out to criminals. We've seen some really bad infections and the worst ones always seem to be when we take over companies that had IT that convinced them WD was enough. If you had said WD with Default-Deny via Appguard or VS or something I might agree with you though. But WD alone with some GP edits? Oh hell no.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
I humbly disagree.. If my experience is any indicator, this absolutely isn't enough. Especially in this day and age of extremely potent threats and state sponsored code being leaked out to criminals. We've seen some really bad infections and the worst ones always seem to be when we take over companies that had IT that convinced them WD was enough. If you had said WD with Default-Deny via Appguard or VS or something I might agree with you though. But WD alone with some GP edits? Oh hell no.
If you work in a decent company, you should have at minimum Windows Enterprise version so you have Applocker. If not you can install any 3rd party SRP apps, you dont need any AV, not saying you may have an hardware appliance already. If the IT is ignorant and don't use Applocker, so that is his fault.

If you are an company's IT, you use all of Windows Enterprise features first and eventually add what is missing; it is good enough. If you cant , better you resign and find another job...

I met so many ITs with no clues of security, those don't even know they have Applocker and like good noobs use a stupid paid AV, letting employees use admin accounts, etc...

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified

A home system is very easy to protect in comparison to trying to fully protect enterprise systems; a direct comparison between home and commercial systems is not valid.

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified
The biggest challenge in protecting enterprise systems is convincing the Admins that they do not need a lot of the stuff that they think they need. Also, they don't want to hear that the very high security that they want requires a manual configuration and ongoing maintenance. "We can't do that..." is almost invariably an answer to very high level security advice.

Technically, it is not difficult to protect at a high level, but it is initially time intensive and requires adequate staffing that is willing to accept and adhere to solid security advice.

I remember how frustrated and dumbfounded I used to get when IT staff would not listen, but nowadays it is just best to give the advice and walk away if they reject it. Many of them are now buying-in to the AI\Next-Gen solutions with its promises of "no admin work required and very low expenses. Set it and forget it and all you have to do is pay $X dollars per seat - and you are protected." When people start spouting that nonsense I just exit left.

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified
Home users that want to use AV\internet security should shop for the best deal that they can find. Some softs with multi-seat licensing can be found for quite low prices.

I think if a security soft vendor provides good support, the license price can be worth the cost - especially for those that will take full advantage and benefit from good support.

AV\internet security is very similar to an accident insurance policy - it will protect the policy holder against a good many specific things, but not everything that could possibly happen.

Last edited:

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified
If you work in a decent company, you should have at minimum Windows Enterprise version so you have Applocker. If not you can install any 3rd party SRP apps, you dont need any AV, not saying you may have an hardware appliance already. If the IT is ignorant and don't use Applocker, so that is his fault.

If you are an company's IT, you use all of Windows Enterprise features first and eventually add what is missing; it is good enough. If you cant , better you resign and find another job...

I met so many ITs with no clues of security, those don't even know they have Applocker and like good noobs use a stupid paid AV, letting employees use admin accounts, etc...
Some enterprises do not want to spend the money on Enterprise. Then if they do have Enterprise Windows the admins either cannot figure out how to or experience difficulties when configure AppLocker and Group Policy for increased security. There is always some reason not to implement high security.

Slyguy

Level 39
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Other OS
Some enterprises do not want to spend the money on Enterprise. Then if they do have Enterprise Windows the admins either cannot figure out how to or experience difficulties when configure AppLocker and Group Policy for increased security. There is always some reason not to implement high security.
Sadly, pain and suffering seems to be a primary motivation for many firms. They are reactionary after an event 'maybe we should invest in good IT and experience a few growing pains while higher security is configured and tweaked?' - usually after they suffer a breach or outbreak.

Back to the topic. I reached out to Avira one final time, and they offered compensation if the form of a 6 month extension to any 'new' license I purchase but won't correct the previous one. Thanks but no thanks. I pointed them to this thread for reference.

ZeroDay

Level 26
Verified
Operating System
Linux
Antivirus
Sadly, pain and suffering seems to be a primary motivation for many firms. They are reactionary after an event 'maybe we should invest in good IT and experience a few growing pains while higher security is configured and tweaked?' - usually after they suffer a breach or outbreak.

Back to the topic. I reached out to Avira one final time, and they offered compensation if the form of a 6 month extension to any 'new' license I purchase but won't correct the previous one. Thanks but no thanks. I pointed them to this thread for reference.
So, Avira basically added insult to injury, it's like they just don't care about their customers and their reputation.

mlnevese

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I was an Avira user many years ago. I still remember Luke Filewalker :) I'm sorry to listen that's how they are treating their clients nowadays.