Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Source: New Avira Phantom VPN: Stop exposing yourself online

You wouldn’t go on a walk naked – why go exposed online?

phantom-VPN-PR-BLOG-2-548x250.jpg

Avira is now protecting users from exposing themselves online with the release of its new Avira Phantom VPN (Virtual Private Network).

Avira’s Phantom VPN for Windows and Android keeps you covered – virtually, of course – by encrypting all communications between your device and the Internet, shutting eavesdroppers out from your private communication and stopping cybercriminals from capturing your data. Avira Phantom VPN also masks your devices’ true IP address, enabling you to browse anonymously and helping you unlock geo-restricted content.

Unsecured public WiFi networks are known to be vulnerable to virtual Peeping Toms, but the use of VPNs among consumers is still shockingly low. A BITKOM survey on cybercrime found 68% of users had antivirus software installed on their devices – but only 9% used a VPN.

Without a VPN, data packets sent to your devices can be sniffed out and read by a passerby (‘man-in-the-middle’ attack) or captured from the router itself. This captured data can be more than that embarrassing message content, these packets of data also tell where you are and give out details about your device.

But with the Avira Phantom VPN, your data packets are placed in a secure and encrypted envelope – something like certified mail. For this reason, VPNs are a mandatory component in most corporate laptops used for travelling and remote office log-ins.

“As more people bring their laptops into cafes and log into banking sites and online accounts from their smartphones, they risk exposing themselves online,” stated Melanie Weber, head of the VPN project at Avira. “We’ve made Phantom VPN free and very simple to install on both your Windows and your Android devices. There’s no reason not to get it today.”

Avira Phantom VPN provides superior benefits in four major ways:
• Protects your individual privacy. Without a VPN, online activities are being constantly tracked and analyzed. With Avira Phantom VPN, you can control what personal data is collected.
• Secures and anonymizes your browsing. Avira Phantom keeps others from eavesdropping on online activities and the data exchanged with friends, online shops, and banking websites.
• Opens up the internet. Some news channels, social media, and video-streaming websites cannot be accessed from certain regions and countries. Avira Phantom unlocks these geo-restrictions.
• Applies across all your devices. Phantom VPN can be used on almost all devices, including PCs with Windows 7 or newer operating systems and Android devices running 4.0.3 and above

The Avira Phantom VPN is available free to all users, both for registered and unregistered users at Avira Phantom VPN secures your connection, anonymizes your activities, and frees up the whole web..

Unregistered users have a data allowance of up to 500MB/month and registered users with a higher limit of 1GB/month. Users subscribing to the Pro version also receive unlimited data traffic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Tried it on Win 10 64. Browsing was fast enough. Kinda liked it. But uninstalled it. Damn why do they attach Avira Launcher with everything? And it cannot be uninstalled too... mention needs for AviraVPN. Coz of Avira Launcher I uninstalled it. Otherwise seems good & liked it.

Security wise, I leave it to experts here.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo: Because Avira Launcher in their own view wanted to have a user a quick access to the program when in reality it isn't. ;) Other than that, VPN is design to make it secure so no surprise for its effectiveness.

D

Deleted member 2913

The VPN for now seems good. Dont know if its new thats why they are giving good service.

I have tried Zenmate, TunnelBear, etc... Desktop client free service. All were kinda OK & slow. But I tried AviraVPN & I am impressed for now. The speed is good here. It doesn't feels like I am using VPN. The speed with AviraVPN is the same as without VPN here.

Only if Avira Launcher was not there.

The above was my short experience with AviraVPN.

Do share your experience guys.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Because this is a new product the speed will be good, but we will have to see its speed when a lot of people start to use it.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

No, there's no Avira Launcher for PC or Android. - Tried in March.
Dont know about Android but it comes with Avira launcher for PC & its there from the very first version...I have mentioned this in one of my posts above.

D

Deleted member 2913

I tried the stable in VM, no Launcher. :S
Do you mean stable released now & previous was beta?

Ghacks review posted above also mention Avira Launcher.

I will try the latest version & see.

Can you have 2 VPN software on system or issues will be there? I use VPN software ondemand only.

D

Deleted member 2913

I downloaded from Avira website & installed And Yes Avira Launcher is installed. And you cannot uninstall it too as it mention required by phantom. The same info I have mentioned in one of my posts here.

Dont know why no Avira Launcher with your install?
Where did you get the installer?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira Blog Update: Avira Phantom VPN is now available for Apple iOS & Mac! - Avira Blog

upload_2016-6-24_0-4-19.png

The Avira Phantom VPN is available free for iOS, OS X, Windows, and Android. Avira Phantom VPN provides superior benefits in four major ways:
  • Applies across the big 3 operating systems. Phantom VPN can be used on almost all devices, including Apple devices running iOS and OS X, Android devices running 4.0.3 and above, and PCs with Windows 7 or newer operating systems.
  • Protects individual privacy. Without a VPN, online activities are being constantly tracked and analyzed. With Avira Phantom VPN, you can control what personal data can be collected.
  • Secures and anonymizes browsing. Avira Phantom encrypts online activities and the data exchanged with friends and other websites, shutting out the eavesdroppers.
  • Opens up the internet. Some news channels, social media, and video-streaming websites cannot be accessed from certain regions and countries. Avira Phantom unlocks these geo-restrictions.
The Avira Phantom VPN is available free to all users, both for registered and unregistered users. Unregistered users have a data allowance of up to 500MB/month and registered users with a higher limit of 1GB/month. Users subscribing to the Pro version also receive unlimited data traffic.

Features
  • Web anonymity - Changes your IP address
  • Secure encryption - Protects your private communications
  • Unblock content - Watch your favorite shows from anywhere
  • Fast VPN - Runs silently in the background
  • No logs - Avira does not monitor what websites you visit
  • Easy to use - On. Off. On. Off. It’s that simple
  • Simultaneous connections - Connect as many devices as you like
  • Unlimited data usage - For premium customers
  • Free Tech Support - For premium customers
  • Automatically secures untrusted networks - For premium customers
  • Masks IP address - Connect from any of our servers in 13 countries
Download Here: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-phantom-vpn

D

Deleted member 2913

For desktop version, Avira Launcher still gets installed with VPN?

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Not bad. Antivirus companies are giving VPN providers a run for their money. Some VPN providers like Vipre started providing antivirus of their own.

Fede90

Level 2
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I tried the Avira VPN today, is pretty good i think. The browser redirect is quite fast but i have a limited experience about VPN programs. Just two months ago i tried CyberGhost VPN and it was better. But only 1GB of data trafic, i don't know if i can improve it

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.