Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hi

Thank you very much for your infos

And any Infos for the Performance and for the load the sites

With best Regards
Mops21
I want to avoid the Avira Connect, so will not be trying it out. Performance will differ between Windows systems due to Internet speeds and hardware capabilities. If you have Sandboxie, you can test it out.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
I want to avoid the Avira Connect, so will not be trying it out. Performance will differ between Windows systems due to Internet speeds and hardware capabilities. If you have Sandboxie, you can test it out.

Ah okay thank you very much for your Infos

With best Regards
Mops21

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I tested it out a little and it looks like it is only available in 32bit hopefully they will come out with a 64bit version soon.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Here is the changelog site for the Avira Scout Browser

CHANGELOGS

With best Regards
Mops21

Kirill Krechetnikov

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Mar 16, 2017
Hi all!

I‘m a Product Development Manager for Avira Scout. It is a pleasure to see you guys showing interest in our product! I‘d like to provide few comments to the questions raised above. Hope it helps :) Please don‘t hesitate to ask if you have an interest in further details.

General privacy questions
Running a project of Scout size needs some telemetry data about browser health and malware. For example, when detecting malware and blocking pages we need a feedback channel for the malware detection to be able to identify and fix False Positives. We avoid collecting data on users as much as possible. Some will still be collected inevitably when collecting the product data, but never used since we don‘t create, store or maintain any user profiles and obviously don‘t use them in our business since they don‘t exist :) As of today, this minor data collection happens in the Autopilot Extension using Mixpanel tool. This can be deactivated by switching off the relevant toggle or just going into the second mode in Autopilot. However already now we are experimenting with Human Web by the CLIQZ guys for our telemetry. See the paper: http://josepmpujol.net/public/papers/big_green_tracker.pdf. Current tests look good and we plan to implement it soon.

Safesearch and Offers privacy questions
In order for Internet services to work the backend needs to get some data. You can‘t search without telling the server side what to search for. You can‘t shop without letting the shop owner know what you wish to buy. The question is what kind of extra data the service providers collect on you and how they use it later. In our case, we collect much less than other big guys in the browser market. And those things we eventually collect we don‘t use for data warehousing, profile building or whatsoever – we use them exactly for the purpose of providing the good services and the best products we can deliver.

CLIQZ privacy questions
CLIQZ is owned by Burda which is a big German media house. They want to create a privacy-focused alternative for Google. Mozilla is now also involved in CLIQZ. These guys take privacy concerns really serious. That‘s actually why we have integrated CLIQZ search into Scout. It makes the web searching experience much more private.

Extensions can be added to any Chrome
True. And Extensions have only limited influence on the browser. But this is just a start for Scout :) And we have already now done a lot on top of this – for example, we‘ve removed quite some calls that every Chromium based browser makes to Google thus increasing user privacy protection level. We call it "de-googling" :)

Avira Connect must be installed
Unlike some other Avira products Scout indeed does not need Connect client in order to work once it is installed. However, instead of developing and maintaining a standalone "light installer" we‘ve decided to leverage the Connect client we already have. You can uninstall Connect after Scout installation if you like. It is not used for further updates.

Update delays concerns
Scout is usually updated to the latest major Chromium version within 2 weeks after it is released. And for critical Chromium security hotfixes we strive to make it in 3 days. Updating as fast as possible is our priority and I would say that we manage to do it with quite a short gap compared to other Chromium based browsers out there.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi @Kirill Krechetnikov

I have a question for you

I have the first Beta public Version I think it named Avira Browser right can I install the new one over it

With best Regards
Mops21

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have a question as well;

Do you plan on releasing a 64bit version any time soon?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@Kirill Krechetnikov Hello, nice to see you present on our forum.
What about the use of Avira cloud feature? (It was mentioned in beta center discussion area during the early betas.)

Kirill Krechetnikov

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Mar 16, 2017
Hi all!

Thanks for your questions! Please find my answers below.

Hi @Kirill Krechetnikov
I have the first Beta public Version I think it named Avira Browser Fight can I Install the new one over it
If you would provide the browser version from chrome://help/ page I will be able to tell for sure :)

Do you plan on releasing a 64bit version any time soon?
So far we don‘t have it on our mid-term roadmap. The reason is the extra effort one needs to put into building and testing this additional version. It is on the backlog, but I can‘t tell how soon we‘ll get to it, sorry..

What about the use of Avira cloud feature? (It was mentioned in beta center discussion area during the early betas.)
Avira URL cloud is being used in order to check the pages Scout user navigates to. As for the Avira Protection Cloud (cloud part of the AV) we haven‘t so far come up with a good reasoning to integrate it into Scout since it would basically double what AV already does. There are some benefits of knowing the source of the threat of course and browser can provide this kind of data. There are some other benefits of this integration as well. But so far we have not gathered enough of them to justify the integration effort.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi @Kirill Krechetnikov

Thank you very much for your Infos and where can I download only the Setup File for Avira Scout Browser

With best Regards
Mops21

Kirill Krechetnikov

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Mar 16, 2017
Thank you very much for your Infos and where can I download only the Setup File for Avira Scout Browser
We don‘t have it available for download. Not because we wish to enforce Connect client (once again, it can be removed after Scout installation, if you don‘t need it) but because we don‘t test this kind of installations. Having such a file hosted somewhere could easily end up with it being copied to other hostings and file storages. Then, later on, we can get into a situation when users get some kind of an installation problem using these outdated installers.

So I suggest using the default installation from avira.com/en/avira-scout

Reactions: Ink

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
We don‘t have it available for download. Not because we wish to enforce Connect client (once again, it can be removed after Scout installation, if you don‘t need it) but because we don‘t test this kind of installations. Having such a file hosted somewhere could easily end up with it being copied to other hostings and file storages. Then, later on, we can get into a situation when users get some kind of an installation problem using these outdated installers.

So I suggest using the default installation from avira.com/en/avira-scout

Hi @Kirill Krechetnikov

Thank you very much for your Infos

With best Regards
Mops21

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.