B1n@ry.B4D's Config (2015, XP)

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 21, 2012
--------------------------------
UPDATE 2015:
A fast, robust and tested configuration for the old windows XP (recommended only for advanced users).
--------------------------------

Last edited:

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I reccommend that you upgrade your computer to 7 or 8. XP is going to be dropped out of updates in about 1 1/2 years.

And why so many on demand scanners? And what about Hitman pro or SuperAntispyware.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
1)Yeah Why so many scanners ?
when only a few good ones can do all the work and you are even using sandboxie and returnil

2)I must ask you since you have never been infected for 10 years why is your risk level HIGH Do you on purpose visit infected and malware sites ?

3)Isnt Prevx owned by webroot ?
Last update of prevx ie v3 was in 2009
webroot in my opinion is better and recent
can anyone give more details if i am right or wrong

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 21, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
I reccommend that you upgrade your computer to 7 or 8. XP is going to be dropped out of updates in about 1 1/2 years.

And why so many on demand scanners? And what about Hitman pro or SuperAntispyware.

Support for XP has been confirmed until 2014.

I have all the operating systems MS (from Win2k to Win8) but I still prefer XP because I can have a better control system than win7 or win8.

I use many direct scanners because personally I prefer to interpret the results: it is the only way to be 100% sure of not being infected. Direct analysis of the state of the system is better than any antivirus.

Hitman Pro is a good product but I prefer to use the av-scanner individually.

SUPERAntiSpyware has a very low detection rate (for me is a mediocre security software).

SUPERAntiSpyware received also a poor rating from PC Magazine:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392878,00.asp

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Looks solid, may I ask why your risk level is so high? and I like it that you have a backup option :)

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 21, 2012
loveboy_lion said:
1)Yeah Why so many scanners ?
when only a few good ones can do all the work and you are even using sandboxie and returnil

2)I must ask you since you have never been infected for 10 years why is your risk level HIGH Do you on purpose visit infected and malware sites ?

3)Isnt Prevx owned by webroot ?
Last update of prevx ie v3 was in 2009
webroot in my opinion is better and recent
can anyone give more details if i am right or wrong

1)
See my previous answer.

2)
This is my normal configuration on the PC to work and, to be precise, my last infection was under dos ...! It was the year ... 1988 ...! XD

The secret under Windows is the HIPS. I used "Kerio Personal Firewall" for a long time and now "Malware Defender": If you have a well-configured firewall / HIPS also logging in as administrator can not become infected (and even without Returnil SandBoxie ...at least I've never succeeded).

In these years, I entered many times (by mistake) into dangerous sites without virtual system and logged in as administrator but the HIPS has always protected me, avoiding possible infections.

If I decide to go on sites certainly infected (for testing the safety of the system) I use a PC assembled for that purpose only: so I can decide whether to infect it "virtually" or "really".

3)
Webroot is a security suite (antivirus, etc.) with PrevX for realtime cloud analisys.

Prevx as a product is not a "classic" antivirus and is still on the market and regularly updated through the Cloud. For me one of the best tools for the identification of new malware (but often fails to remove).

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 21, 2012
McLovin said:
Looks solid, may I ask why your risk level is so high? and I like it that you have a backup option :)

- I always use an administrator account (security risk: high)

- I browse at all sites even potentially dangerous and very often without virtualization (security risk: high)

- Before purchasing a license for the full version of a new software i prefer try it, using a key generator (security risk: high)

- I often visit warez sites because I find minor interesting programs. (security risk: high)

But when I go deliberately hunting for viruses to evaluate the effects, then I use a separate PC.

...and the backup option is fundamental :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I see, well as long as you have a backup you are set :)

Glad that someone admits that they visit other sites.

B1n@ry.B4D

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 21, 2012
UPDATE 2015:
A fast, robust and tested configuration for the old windows XP (recommended only for advanced users).

Reactions: Oxygen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.