Malware News Backdoored Python Library Caught Stealing SSH Credentials

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Barely a week has passed from the last attempt to hide a backdoor in a code library, and we have a new case today. This time around, the backdoor was found in a Python module, and not an npm (JavaScript) package.
The module's name is SSH Decorator (ssh-decorate), developed by Israeli developer Uri Goren, a library for handling SSH connections from Python code.

On Monday, another developer noticed that multiple recent versions of the SSH Decorate module contained code that collected users' SSH credentials and sent the data to a remote server located at:

Developer: Backdoor the result of a hack

After having the issue brought to his attention, Goren said the backdoor was not intentional and was the result of a hack.

"I have updated my PyPI password, and reposted the package under a new name ssh-decorator," he said. "I have also updated the readme of the repository, to make sure my users are also aware of this incident." The README file read:

It has been brought to our attention, that previous versions of this module had been hijacked and uploaded to PyPi unlawfully. Make sure you look at the code of this package (or any other package that asks for your credentials) prior to using it.

But after the incident become a trending topic on Reddit yesterday, and some people threw some accusations his way, Goren decided to remove the package altogether, from both GitHub and PyPI — the Python central repo hub.

If you're still using the SH Decorator (ssh-decorate) module in your projects, the last safe version was 0.27. Versions 0.28 through 0.31 were deemed malicious.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.