Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Available for Google Chrome users. Coming soon to Firefox, Safari and Opera. Get Notified!

BetaNews Article: Bad Ad Johnny is an ad, tracker and malware-blocker for Chrome

Developed by VPN provider PureVPN, Bad Ad Johnny is a one-stop ad, tracker and malware-blocker for Chrome. The extension aims to block absolutely everything, says the website, in particular those “acceptable ads”: “I DO NOT shake hands with publishers under the table and let some ads slide.”

Installation is automatic and initially there’s nothing to do, just browse as usual and enjoy your ad-free existence.

The Bad Ad Johnny icon updates in real time with the total number of blocked threats on the current page. If a figure seems high or you’re just curious, clicking the icon breaks down the figure by ads, trackers and malware.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I think I will always use AdGuard's DNS servers, but I am open to trying this add on.
I will be critical of it at first, but you know me, if it works and does a good job I
will give credit where credit is due. Now starts the waiting :)
**What do you chrome users think so far of this add on ?

Last edited:

AnnonMy

Jan 20, 2017
Used it a while ago and found it wasn't such an ad-free experience with it letting adds through / missing them, updates could have fixed this issue. Would try again in the future though as overall I like it and the idea / wording within it.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
Well, okay great! I am using that product but I did not hear about this ad blocker. Thanks for sharing

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Can i replace Ublock Origin with this programme?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can i replace Ublock Origin with this programme?
All Adblocking extension use more or less the same lists, the difference comes in how it manages memory/cpu usage with all those additional filter lists to handle.

No harm in trying.

Reactions: Rengar

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Been using it for a day now and it's pretty good.

It's not at light as uBlock though.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
An ad blocker plus anti malware & spyware- with a personality unlike any other!

I am best at:
  • Stopping Ads
  • Fighting Malware
  • Dodging Trackers
  • Speeding up your browsing

I DO NOT believe in acceptable ads. I DO NOT shake hands with publishers under the table and let some ads slide.

And I do it all in a manner that’s 100% unique!

My only purpose of existence is keeping you safe from being tracked, monitored and watched via ads, malware & spyware.

I am the only ad blocker, anti malware, anti spyware, and popup blocker with a personality; and the only ad-blocking extension you’ll ever need! I am the prodigal son of an industry veteran – PureVPN and am as watchful, resourceful, and fierce as my father. I spare no one; my hatred for ads is extreme and I have a personal vendetta against malware & spyware.

What Kind of Ads Do I Kill?

Every darn kind:
  • YouTube ads
  • FaceBook ads
  • Search ads
  • Pop-up ads
  • Auto-playing video ads
  • Expanding ads
  • Interstitial page ads
  • Overlay ads
  • Pop-under ads
  • Webmail ads
  • Animated ads
  • Overlay in-video ads
  • All other annoying ads

How Do I Protect You?

By becoming your digital bodyguard:
  • No more web tracking via ads
  • No surveillance via malicious code
  • No third-party monitoring via spyware
  • No data sharing with anybody
  • No data logging… ever!

How Do I Speed Up Your Browsing Speed?

By eliminating the unnecessary:
  • Ads are stopped from loading and consuming time and bandwidth
  • Unnecessary scripts are identified and stopped immediately
  • After installing, just “Turn me on!” and forget about digital evils forever!

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Seems like much marketing? Last time i tested it and it came out it was simply adblock plus standard lists? They have changed much now or still the same?

Reactions: Dirk41 and Wave
W

Wave

Seems like much marketing? Last time i tested it and it came out it was simply adblock plus standard lists? They have changed much now or still the same?
It's almost certainly mainly marketing, I fully agree with you - just read the above again and take into how cringe it really is, it's not very professional at all and it seems suspicious... Notice how they bang on about it's features a bit too much? They've overdone it, which means it's probably not what they are trying to make it seem to be.

Also, it's better to work with an extension designed for blocking advertisements and another dedicated for blocking malicious URLs (for example). Companies that dedicate themselves to one area instead of focusing on multiple will most likely be more successful due to the increased focus in one line of work.

For example, compare how the Emsisoft performance is with security software development compared to Avira. Emsisoft are the ones who do not have cleaning utilities and other unnecessary things.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Always hated the act of adblocking IMO. Other features don't seem interesting either. Will stay protected using an AV don't need this stuff cluttering my computer...

W

Wave

Always hated the act of adblocking IMO. Other features don't seem interesting either. Will stay protected using an AV don't need this stuff cluttering my computer...
Nooooo! Adblocking protects you from malvertising - your primary security can protect you from malicious hosts, but why not eliminate the advertisements and stop the malicious advertisements from being displayed in the first place? Remember that ads can track you as well.

However, some websites require support from advertisements to fund the service, so that's a downside I guess of using an adblocker.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Nooooo! Adblocking protects you from malvertising - your primary security can protect you from malicious hosts, but why not eliminate the advertisements and stop the malicious advertisements from being displayed in the first place? Remember that ads can track you as well.

However, some websites require support from advertisements to fund the service, so that's a downside I guess of using an adblocker.

That's what white listing in ad blocking software should be used for... I see ad block software as a default deny software. If the site is useful or I visit it frequently it is unblocked.

W

Wave

That's what white listing in ad blocking software should be used for... I see ad block software as a default deny software. If the site is useful or I visit it frequently it is unblocked.
The downside to this is if the white-listed hosts become compromised by an attacker, and sites relying fully on ad revenue to stay up most likely do not have the sufficient funds for great website security, thus making them vulnerable to becoming compromised by an attacker -> replace ads with malicious ones.

Security doesn't come cheap and easy these days with the hacking skills for the web evolving constantly.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It's almost certainly mainly marketing, I fully agree with you - just read the above again and take into how cringe it really is, it's not very professional at all and it seems suspicious... Notice how they bang on about it's features a bit too much? They've overdone it, which means it's probably not what they are trying to make it seem to be.

Ain't BadAdJohnny from the developers at PureVPN which is considered trustworthy?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015

I have never been attacked by "malvertising" even if something was dropped on the computer I'm sure Avast would detect it. Zemana or Windows Defender can clean up the attack if it was worse. Even in a dire situation I have backups, and reformatting my computer isn't too much trouble either. Adblocking is just an excuse for impatience. As for the "spying" deal what could they possibly collect, passwords? Majority of my web accounts are encrypted pretty well with 2FA and randomized passwords. I really want to start a discussion on this interesting topic. Even though this account will probally turn dead from all the disagreement I wouldn't mind. :p

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

I have never been attacked by "malvertising" even if something was dropped on the computer I'm sure Avast would detect it. Zemana or Windows Defender can clean up the attack if it was worse.
Never say never, today could be the day you become a victim. You shouldn't base it on the chances being low so ignore it, better just be safe than sorry IMO.

But I do see where you're coming from, just if I was you I wouldn't just assume everything will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.