New Update Bad Ad Johnny (Ad/Track/Malware Blocker) by PureVPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I have never been attacked by "malvertising" even if something was dropped on the computer I'm sure Avast would detect it.
You're sure Avast (or any product, not dinging them specifically) has 100% detection and block/remediation rate 100% of the time?
I hope not.

Not only that, no product covers the ads that hide themselves as the "Download" button to trick you into installing something other than what you intended. Unscrupulous. No sympathy here.

It's a vulnerability. More importantly, ads are really, really, REALLY freaking annoying. My wife says she wouldn't even use the Internet if she couldn't block ads.

Which is why I can't understand your statement about "cluttering your computer"--which is what adblockers avert.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
You're sure Avast (or any product, not dinging them specifically) has 100% detection and block/remediation rate 100% of the time?
I hope not.

Not only that, no product covers the ads that hide themselves as the "Download" button to trick you into installing something other than what you intended. Unscrupulous. No sympathy here.

It's a vulnerability. More importantly, ads are really, really, REALLY freaking annoying. My wife says she wouldn't even use the Internet if she couldn't block ads.

Which is why I can't understand your statement about "cluttering your computer"--which is what adblockers avert.

I see where you are coming from. I know for a fact Avast does not have 100% detection rate. However, the file that was dropped would probably have been old enough to be detected. Hopefully, at some point, Google and other giant companies will start cracking down on fake download buttons and other malicious ads. They don't deserve the money but as a nonadblocker, if I go onto their site. (Which if there was a specific file I wanted. I would try to find a safer download alternative. If you manage to update the software you have, as well as not having as many exploitable softs, and even using an anti-exploit tool. The chance would be slim. You put the "annoyance" at a higher level. It seems almost non-existant to me. With all due respect, if you block ads, you are losing patience, and the real world is a lot worse than minor annoyances. You think the acceptable ads project is dumb? I'm interested to see if this project will turn into a sellout like the rest.

Never say never, today could be the day you become a victim. You shouldn't base it on the chances being low so ignore it, better just be safe than sorry IMO.

But I do see where you're coming from, just if I was you I wouldn't just assume everything will be fine

This is very correct! I enjoy your writings Wave you seem very professional to me! Who said I have been ignoring it? Even though there is a chance of getting infected. I have tools available like an AntiVirus, AntiMalware, I could even through Malwarebyte's Anti-Exploit. (Pretty sure Avast has one, though.), and finally even Sandboxie! ( I haven't used it in awhile, though..) Hope this shed some light. :)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Hopefully, at some point, Google and other giant companies will start cracking down on fake download buttons and other malicious ads.
Google can't do anything about it; they cannot dictate what can or cannot be on someone else's site. This isn't "malicious logic" (actual malware) I'm referring to here; I'm referring to the owner's site deliberately set up by the owner to lead you to clicking on advertisements/other downloads than what the user clearly intended.

True story: I've used CCleaner for about a decade. I've downloaded it hundreds of times (it goes on every PC I touch, which is a lot of them). Just tuning up a client's PC one day for the first time, I go to Piriform's site to download CCleaner but this time, I did it before I installed any adblockers.

My download was finished and right when I was about to click on it, I noticed it wasn't CCleaner. I had to retrace my steps to figure out how the heck I got some alien file in lieu of CCleaner. Misdirection is how.

My point is that this is an attack vector (in addition to malvertising, which is every bit of a 0-day issue--if not more--than any other malware) that you are choosing to keep as a vulnerability, as avast!, Google, etc., or good browsing habits/vigilance (human factor) can never provide 100% security.

That's like refusing to install a door/lock in your front door frame on the assumption that nobody with ulterior motives will ever walk through it or if they did, you'd have foreknowledge of this and someone else would have managed to prevent their entry.

You put the "annoyance" at a higher level.
I do. I don't know anyone who enjoys being annoyed, do you? It's kinda part of the definition of the word. ;)

It seems almost non-existant to me.
That is you and I have no choice but to take you at your word about what does and does not irritate you.
Likewise, you have no choice but to do the same.

However, my point is about security, not personal preferences.

if you block ads, you are losing patience, and the real world is a lot worse than minor annoyances.
Cute red herring you got there.

I block ads primarily to not be annoyed. Are you really going to try to convince me that doing an easy thing to avert continual annoyance is a bad idea?

Security is a secondary reason and, for me, a side-effect. My suggestion for your consideration is that if you do not consider ads a nuisance (a concept completely bizarre to me but that's me, not everyone else, obviously), then you should consider them a security threat.

Hence, we have here a good, practical illustration of absolute (objective) truth and relative (subjective) truth and when each apply:
Absolute truth: malvertising has infected many; there is no 100% defense against it
Absolute truth: webmasters use misdirection to trick users

Not an absolute truth: ads (object) are annoying (subjective)
Relative truth: I (subject) am annoyed by ads (object)
Relative truth: You (subject) are not annoyed by ads (object)

You think the acceptable ads project is dumb? I'm interested to see if this project will turn into a sellout like the rest.

I do not think the acceptable ads project is dumb; I think it (along with Apple) send a loud message about the unscrupulousness of advertisers and the problems it causes (like security) for everyone and the problems it causes for them (those who have no problem throwing that baby out with the bathwater).

Personally, the only influence an ad (or any aggressive marketing/salesmanship) has on me ranges anywhere between "run away/avoid" to "be extra thorough with due diligence; go spelunking for a reason to avoid". I have neither bought nor recommended anything because of an ad, ever.

Last edited:

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Screenshot 2017-04-26 at 12.37.44 AM.png
Not sure if this is a FP but Bad Ad Johnny did flag something Google Ad & Easy List thought was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.