Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Why have you kept Security updates disabled? A lot of 'security loophole'-killing and critical additions are done by the same.
I'm not much aware about the effectiveness of AVs on Mac though.
Consider adding "HTTPS Everywhere" in Firefox.
Do you have an external storage? If yes, Apple's Time Machine is a good tool, besides cloud, to backup files and make entire copy of system regularly. Though corruption or data loss chances look lesser in Mac, having backups is always an important safety practice recommended here, that can be useful at critical times (SSD drive failures or accidental deletion or Ransomware attack - yes there exist some for Mac).

Here's an interesting article on the 4 available modes of backup and the tools in case you would like to dig deeper.
*Make sure to disconnect external drives after backup, if not needed. There has been a slow rise in ransomware attack designs targeting Time Machine backups. Chances, you know!

Baldo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Why? I don't want to upgrade to OS Sierra.
HTTPS Everywhere? I will add.
Yes, I have external storage, I am going to do backup of the whole disk. I am afraid of making backup in a cloud.

Should I use Bitdefender or any AV on Mac? Maybe not?

Thanks for article!

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Why? I don't want to upgrade to OS Sierra
You can disable "Install OS X updates" and keep "Install system data files and security updates" and "Install App Updates" ON.
That way you won't have to worry about the entire upgrade :)
Should I use Bitdefender or any AV on Mac? Maybe not?
Using an AV will be a matter of personal preference and based on your daily habits/practices.
Mac may be highly secure, but security loopholes and newly devised attack vectors, simple or complex, will be used by malware authors anyway. If you have a Mac at home, it shouldn't be a big concern if you keep backups ready. However if you feel protected with an AV, keep one. BD should be good.
Not for their effectiveness, but check this link for the varied provisions that different AVs have for Mac OS.

Reactions: Baldo and BugCode

Baldo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, I agree.
I am going to make a backup using Time Machine on external storage.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can disable "Install OS X updates" and keep "Install system data files and security updates" and "Install App Updates" ON.
That way you won't have to worry about the entire upgrade :)
This would be the preferred action instead of just not updating the OS
Some type of backup is advised.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.