Banking Protection (SafePrice, SafeMoney): Do you use them?

Do you use banking protection in AV?

• Yes, always

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Sometimes, barely

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Never

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's a fact many suites come with "banking modules". These usually provide special protection for when you do online transactions such as home banking, or online shopping. They way they usually work is opening a new window or isolating the windows in order to prevent data stealing, infection, or similar.
According to AVLAB.pl

1. Clipboard Hijacking Attack.
2. Clipboard Swapping Attack
3. Keylogger Attack.
4. Screenshot Attack.
5. RAM Scraping Attack
6. DLL Injecting Attack.
7. First Man-In-The-Middle Attack.
8. Second Man-In-The-Middle Attack.
9. Hidden Desktop Attack
10. HOSTS Modifying Attack.
11. Banking trojans
Well, do you use this? I don't. I always find myself disabling this module, I find it tedious to open separated windows, and make my experience generally much more slower; plus I don't see the real advantage.

Do you use it?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Years ago when I used Bitdefender Safepay --- I thought that was well done. They did it right. I'm not sure if they still develop Safepay..

I used IBM's Trusteer Rapport for a few years.

I just sorta lost interest in that one.

Lately I've been using Norton's new banking module. It's good -- but has limitations.

I always use a VPN for online financial transactions.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Do you still use a VPN if you're on your home network?

No. It's probably not necessary... but with a few outlier incidents I'm familiar with, I was going to use VPN at home anyway.

But.... sometimes I just don't think about it.

That's the reality. Sometimes I don't lock my doors too... Just a little security sloppiness...

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The problem isn't banking online, an AV, common sense and only shopping at secure sites will eliminate 99% of issues.

The real problem is giving out your information such as credit/debit card #, name, address etc to retail companies, you can pretty much guarantee that 99% of them have been hacked or will be hacked sometime in the future.

So to summarize, banking on line isn't the issue, giving out your information to 3rd parties is.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The problem isn't banking online, The real problem is giving out your information such as credit/debit card #, name, address etc to retail companies

Yes agree, my brother the ludite (no pc no smartphone) had his bank account hacked for $8k, because his credit card company got hacked and his bank account was linked to the credit card. Me, I use a vpn and 2fa.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Thine safest way is to do your banking the old fashion way............us postal with a stamp much safer:)
The problem is banking firms are reducing workers and services in physical offices, They want You to do banking at ATMs or directly online at home as much as possible... soon You'll pay almost everything via mobile phone, and even Orange (a telephony provider & InterNet Services) is announcing its own online banking services... that's happening here in Spain, and physical money will disappear in a few years...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.