Barcode Scanner on Google Play infects 10 Million with One Update

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Many of the patrons had the app installed on their mobile devices for long periods of time (one user had it installed for several years). Then all of sudden, after an update in December, Barcode Scanner had gone from an innocent scanner to full on malware! Although Google has already pulled this app, we predict from a cached Google Play webpage that the update occurred on December 4th, 2020.
App Name: Barcode Scanner
MD5: A922F91BAF324FA07B3C40846EBBFE30
Package Name: com.qrcodescanner.barcodescanner
appstore1.png

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Samsung phones have that functionality. I believe other brands do too. There is no reason for Google not to implement it.
Fully agree with that, and yes other brands have this feature built-in. Even my old Huawei got it, but personal I was not satisfied with it's auto-redirection and opening links/urls without me even had a chance to intervene or even read. Very few barcode apps seems to have that protection. From my own small now old test, only 3 did. Today I can only confirm the one I still have installed.

Google has already pulled this app
Pretty poor comfort for all these millions of already infected users. It's again staggering numbers and it ain't the first time, and more then likely won't be the last either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.