Battle: Kaspersky IS 2016 vs ESET Smart Security 2016 vs Bitdefender IS 2016 vs Emsisoft IS 10

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Now! ESET has just released their newest security suite: ESET Smart Security 9 (2016 Edition). These products are on the top of security suites which are produced by giants on security companies. Most of them released 2016 editions of their products. I want to compare on their newest products with new features (such as on ESET: Banking Protection, Bitdefender: Ransomware Protection and new Firewall, etc...) and some enhanced features.

And now, which is your choose for your security? Please let me know your opinion!

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
If Kaspersky released patch C then I would use this on Windows 10, but they really need to pull their finger out - taking ages, on spiceworks enterprise companies are feed up with waiting for the green light for Windows 10, apparently they stated October.

Reactions: XhenEd

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I don't think ESET is better than Kaspersky detecting malware, depending on the type of the samples sometimes one detects more than the other and vice-versa :) also criteria for adding malware are a bit different sometimes...

But It's true Kaspersky has always problems with adware/PUPS, They never considered them as malware but "legal" (because of EULA, etc.), but things are changing and They are adding many now...

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
One of the most important features of a good product isn't detection rate. It's zero day. ESET isn't that great at unknown unless you set HIPS to interactive which just annoys you like Comodo HIPS. Kaspersky on the other hand kicks unknown malware in the teeth and it does it very well. This is my own personal experience from extensive use in a VM with every type of malware. Kaspersky is unfortunately weak in PUP and adware which ESET kick butt in.

Every product has a weakness that others will shine in. As mentioned above, Kaspersky has kicked up it's efforts in PUP and adware. This can be proven in malware hub alone. I also agree that ESET isn't better than Kaspersky - I just prefer it over Kaspersky for multiple reasons. If adware/PUP start to behave maliciously, Kaspersky will catch it. Some do, some don't (as in some are can be malicious sometimes).

If we're talking about total protection, and nothing else, I recommend people use either EIS or KIS. Use ESS if you have a problem with these two and use Bitdefender as a last resort. If any uses Bitdefender, don't run it on stock. It's zero day components are on too low settings. I wouldn't expect the best performance out of Bitdefender.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
One of the most important features of a good product isn't detection rate. It's zero day. ESET isn't that great at unknown unless you set HIPS to interactive which just annoys you like Comodo HIPS. Kaspersky on the other hand kicks unknown malware in the teeth and it does it very well. This is my own personal experience from extensive use in a VM with every type of malware. Kaspersky is unfortunately weak in PUP and adware which ESET kick butt in.
Every product has a weakness that others will shine in. As mentioned above, Kaspersky has kicked up it's efforts in PUP and adware. This can be proven in malware hub alone. I also agree that ESET isn't better than Kaspersky - I just prefer it over Kaspersky for multiple reasons. If adware/PUP start to behave maliciously, Kaspersky will catch it. Some do, some don't (as in some are can be malicious sometimes).

If we're talking about total protection, and nothing else, I recommend people use either EIS or KIS. Use ESS if you have a problem with these two and use Bitdefender as a last resort. If any uses Bitdefender, don't run it on stock. It's zero day components are on too low settings. I wouldn't expect the best performance out of Bitdefender
I heard that Kaspersky has some limitations on Windows 10, that makes me feel Kaspersky does not protect me well

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
anti-virus battle again.PNG

It is amazing that Emsisoft has only won the third place until now.:eek:
In the past I thought it was the most popular one in MT.:confused:
Maybe the users of Emsisoft are too busy to vote now? :D

Reactions: Malakke and Maxxx58

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I heard that Kaspersky has some limitations on Windows 10, that makes me feel Kaspersky does not protect me well
Yep! Currently, Kaspersky is not great for Windows 10 because of its limitations. But, fortunately, they are working on fixing their products for full Windows 10 protection. But I wish it had been sooner.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Online_Sword : Yes People's Choice is for Emsisoft however due to intensive daily test which turn out that ESET as alternative choice however it doesn't mean the best after all as Kaspersky performance does well too but not majority observe the overall true effectiveness.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

Actually I thought that ESET is the most popular here followed by Emsisoft. :)

Abhishek Singha

Level 2
Verified
Jul 2, 2015
Could you pls specify the bug of ESET in Windows 10? Thanks. I am using ESET 9 and not encountering bugs so far. or maybe, HTTPS scanning can't be enabled.
Lastly when I had installed I had icon automatically rearranging bug & icon turned into bigger icon.Too many complains can be seen about that on own ESET foum.

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Some news... I've installed ESET 9 in my desktop PC and it's running fine and smoothly. In fact, start boot is shorter than EAM 10.... Also, Banking Protection is running perfectly with Chrome... Curiously, my experience in my laptop it's the opposite... EAM is lighter than ESET.

Reactions: Maxxx58 and XhenEd

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Karpersky is very good protection is the only problem I see is this, when you start Pc because these browsing for two or three minutes get activated protection message, do not understand.

John Duff

Apr 8, 2015
Kaspersky no good I tried it I could not type anything in my Browser nor would it let me bookmark any web sites. The support was non existent they could not speak English and only told me to let it update which I did it solved nothing. I uninstalled it, now I would use anything but.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Kaspersky no good I tried it I could not type anything in my Browser nor would it let me bookmark any web sites. The support was non existent they could not speak English and only told me to let it update which I did it solved nothing. I uninstalled it, now I would use anything but.
Hello my friend i went to the same didn't let me write in the browser and the solution was to remove the extension and everything worked well.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
That is so strange, for sure some sort of incompatibility with another security tool installed in Your system... maybe MB Anti-Exploit? Zemana Anti-Logger?.

H

hjlbx

+/- 3 votes is not definitive enough to rank. Besides, ranking is utterly useless. KIS will run perfectly on one system and not on another. Same applies to both ESET and Emsisoft.

Those results tell me there is a 3-way tie.

Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, KIS will provide the more comprehensive protection since it has the most features and functionality. However, it won't protect you against everything. Does anyone remember FinFisher\FinSpy. Kaspersky failed miserably at detecting it, whereas Emsisoft alerted the user in every instance of attempted infection.

I've used all three. And this is what I have experienced on W8.1 x64:
  • Best compatibility - Emsisoft.
  • Best usability - Emsisoft.
  • Best support - Emsisoft (has decisive advantage since developers manage support forum).
  • Best learnability\lowest complexity - Emsisoft.
  • Fastest rate of bug fixes - Emsisoft.
  • Lowest overall system impact (startup, reboot and while working at desktop) - Emsisoft.
  • Best PUP protection - ESET.
  • Most comprehensive features - Kaspersky.
  • Best user self-support resources (knowledge base) - Kaspersky.
Does that make Emsisoft No. 1 ? I think not.

That all depends upon what you personally like the best and which one works best on your specific system.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.