Not open for further replies.

Syntax

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 4, 2012
Changelog

Changelog for 1.0.14.889 version:

- Performance improvements on HTTP Scan
- Performance improvements on AUTO Scan (starting with the second Full AutoScan)
- QuickSweep every 2 days, FullScan every 2 weeks
- On Disinfect, all infected files are quarantined; no file will be deleted anymore
- Laptop Mode for AutoScan (automatically postpones itself when on battery)
- On-Demand (Right click in Explorer) no longer scan for Memory (<system>)
- AutoScan status doesn't influence the Active Infections (Pending Cleanup) scan (on reboot)
- Fixed ChkDsk block at boot
- MalwareBytes is no longer marked as incompatible solution

Todo / In progress for the next update:
- Unified Exclude system (Antivirus, Active Virus Control) within Quarantine Tab

Downloading it now. :p

There's still no exclusion system but it's better than the auto-deleting files.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Just tested it. It indeed quarantines files on detection, glad they fixed that!
Hope they also introduce file/folder exclusion in the near future.

"Fixed ChkDsk block at boot"

LOL, a week ago I scheduled a chkdsk on the next system reboot and it never happened. Today after this update it suddenly ran chkdsk at boot, haha. :D

Syntax

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 4, 2012
So if you need to restore a quarantined files then you can use this temporary method until they updated BDAV free including the exclusion system or report it directly to Bitdefender forums (BD forum) so that your files can be automatically restored. So we're expected to wait a few weeks or 3 weeks for the next update.

AVusah said:
So you CAN restore quarantined files now?

Iulika0069 said:
Not yet (from GZ interface); still, we've decided to make this interim update to cover some improvements, fixes and the "Delete" issue

L.E. The "Quarantine" in BDAVFree works differently than a "normal" one:
- files are not "moved to a safe location"
- but renamed (in the same folder/path)
- and locked (by gz file system driver) for read/write/execute
- the files are not encrypted

So, one can "simply" :)
- turn off real time protection
- go to safe mode and
- rename the file (actually, remove the gzquar extension)

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Are they saying something about the exclusion system though?
Any official ETA?

Oh, sorry. I missed this in your first post:
"Todo / In progress for the next update:
Unified Exclude system (Antivirus, Active Virus Control) within Quarantine Tab" :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

I glad it no longer deletes your files without warnings but until they add an exclusion system, it will be a pass for me. I'm not going to go through all of the problems to restore the false positives that it decides are malicious.

Excellent detection but entirely too many false positives to not have an exclusion system.

Thanks.:D

D Bone

May 28, 2011
Littlebits said:

I glad it no longer deletes your files without warnings but until they add an exclusion system, it will be a pass for me. I'm not going to go through all of the problems to restore the false positives that it decides are malicious.

Excellent detection but entirely too many false positives to not have an exclusion system.

They are going to implement more user control on the next update in approximately 3-5 weeks.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
PurpleArmor said:
Does this edition of BitDefender rely on the cloud like Panda AV does?

Hello,

I believe that it automatically downloads signatures just like the paid version does. But you can't download them manually, it does it for you.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
PurpleArmor said:
Does this edition of BitDefender rely on the cloud like Panda AV does?

Just like their paid solutions, BDAV Free has local definitions (with hourly updates) and also has cloud integration (realtime communication between Bitdefender cloud servers and BDAV).

Malware Man said:
I believe that it automatically downloads signatures just like the paid version does. But you can't download them manually, it does it for you.

Yup, you are correct. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is a Windows Restart required after installing?

And how large is the download?

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
about 14-15 mb download size(without updates) and don`t know if the restart is required now..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No restart was required, but I needed to connect to the US server (via VPN) to download the installer. Didn't like the product much. :-/

Syntax

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 4, 2012
A little buggy for me since my game (Warcraft III Frozen Throne) don't open after install BDAV free and some nags like " X file has been quarantined" and "Finished scanning threats". Even I hide them, after restart they're still at the gui. Maybe I will stick to ESET.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I'm wondering if I should switch to Bitdefender free + COMODO firewall or just stick with the full CIS suite. I'm so confused what to do. I like them both. :huh:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Malware Man said:
I'm wondering if I should switch to Bitdefender free + COMODO firewall or just stick with the full CIS suite. I'm so confused what to do. I like them both. :huh:

Just about any other security product would be more stable then BitDefender. If you don't have any problems with CIS then keep it.

D Bone

May 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Malware Man said:

Just about any other security product would be more stable then BitDefender. If you don't have any problems with CIS then keep it.

No issues here for me. It's very stable, unlike my personal experience with CIS.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Littlebits said:
Malware Man said:

Haha, I keep trying out all sorts of products, avast!, KIS, NIS, Bitdefender, you name it. But in the end I get fed up with them all and go right back to CIS. I just love it's features, sandbox, BB, HIPS, cloud look up, etc. It's scan speeds are really good and it's really light. Under 20MB for me :D

On the Bitdefender topic, I tried out the new total security and wow did it ever slow down my system and web browsing. Not to mention the auto pilot feature kept on going off and on, on it's own. It wouldn't stay off cause I don't trust it making it's own decisions. Not to mention the scan speed is VERY slow, I started a full scan and 5 hours later it was still going and wasn't even half way. So I got fed up and decided to uninstall it. Well the uninstaller froze right up on me and got corrupted. So then I had to resort to the uninstall tool, that worked thank god. I won't even touch BD free since I didn't even like the paid product. I think it's all lies with it being number one. All it has going for it is it's great detection rate. But I feel Emsisoft beats it cause it uses it's engine plus it's own. I feel Emsisoft or Kaspersky should be number one in my opinion.

I wish top ten reviews or AV comparatives would include COMODO. :(

I changed my security suites so often I got so lazy to change my signature every time :lolz:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I wish top ten reviews or AV comparatives would include COMODO.

In case you may not know, Top Ten Reviews are just an advertiser site. They don't really even review products, the vendors pay to get a good review, the more they pay the better the review of their products will be.
In other words their reviews are fake.

They are much better software reviews like Cnet and Softpedia.
Of coarse the best reviews are not done by a company, user reviews and commits on download sites will give your a much better picture.

AV Comparatives will probably never test Comodo products since there was tension between them in the past that was never resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.