App Review [Behavior Blocker Test] Norton Security 2015 VS Trend Micro Internet Security 2015 (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
M

Manzai

Thread author

Norton: All malware has been blocked and deleted.
Norton's firewall is blocking some connections.

Trend Micro: Horror!
1 single detection by Trend Micro. The PC is infected and crash.

@MikeV : Norton blocked a threat... :D

Norton's Stars : 5/5
Trend Micro : 1/5

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I disagree.
Antivirus may fail one day and another day pass, but say it's useless, it's farfetched !

I did not mean to say your reviews are useless. Rather I am a fanboy of you. :)

What I wanted to say is, if you judge a AV based on few samples then it is not fully correct. If you use lots of malwares to test it then every time you test, the result will be almost same.

For example.

If I use 2 sample to test one AV and one of them missed, that means it can detect/block 50%.

But if I use 2000 samples to test the same AV and that time 200 missed, then the detection is 90% and that will be a better result. It's just the concept of probability.

And your reviews only proves my point. In one of your review the same AV scored excellent but now it's a horror. The main reason behind that is for both the cases the number of samples was very less.

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Yet trend micro does great at AV-Comparatives real world test. People tend to forget some big things at testing.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
i have used both norton and trend for a long time and they where light on system and generally provided me with a good protection on my laptop:).But 2 things was just not good for me detection:( and false positives and especially the second one i don't like at all:mad:.
I want to ask you Manzai if both of them have they improved since the previous version and especially on the matter of false positives.
As always great review and informative.Keep up the great work you are doing:)

Reactions: Manzai
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Well I have been using Tiranium and like it a lot. But my son said Trend Micro IS 2014 scored 100% on the AV test sights so I thought I'd image my drive and give it a try. It seems to be very light on my pc, and doesn't bother me at all. Hitman and malware software don't pick up any threats either. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: Manzai

JollyGood

Level 1
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Wow, i am geniunly at aw. Trend mico has one of the best behaviour blockers on the market. How did it manage to mess that test up so badly. Where as norton is not exactly know for its zero day malware blocking capabilities. Norton being known for its zero day malware blocking capabilities is like trend micro being known for their signature database; not exactly the companies forte. Lol trend micro may have genuinly been having a bad day because it really did screw up big time. Manzai would it be possble to make an updated version of this test? Because i'm certain that trend micro should have had that one in the bag. Lol also because i just bought trend micro a few weeks ago and may be a little paranoid about my security.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The results that Manzai really should come as no shock. The testing of TM really depends on the age and type of the malware run against it. It will do quite well for D+1 and older malware, but is patchy against new samples and outright horrid against worms, scriptors and just about anything that utilizes Process Hollowing for attacks.

What is very surprising is that AV-C keeps giving TM a 100% score month after month after month. Very curious.

Reactions: kiric96

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I

What I wanted to say is, if you judge a AV based on few samples then it is not fully correct. If you use lots of malwares to test it then every time you test, the result will be almost same.

This is the reason why most of the reviews here used to have the tags: "Take this review with a grain of salt, as only a few samples have been used for testing". I wonder what happened to this as reviews used to have it before.

But real trouble comes in when you compare the reviews here with the independent lab tests at AV-Comparatives, AV-Test etc, and say "They are Wrong and Corrupted" when the samples tested, the scope and the degree of testing is much higher than the individual reviews here.

Reactions: catjc and Anupam

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.