Status
Not open for further replies.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Although TrueCrypt's development has ceased, it still remains a reliable solution.
However, it is preferred that encryption software remain updated, so that they are more secure.

The following encryption application is based on TrueCrypt and is just as reliable and effective as TrueCrypt, and it is also actively developed:

These are the other free, open-source, and powerful alternatives to TrueCrypt, which I personally like:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yes but is it secure ?
Veracrypt is a fork of TrueCrypt. According to the developer of Vera, VeraCrypt patched and fixed memory leaks, buffer overflows and security issues that were present in the original TrueCrypt source code.

VeraCrypt however uses SHA-256 support for system encryption instead of the TrueCrypt original RIPEMD-160 algorithm.

TrueCrypt 7.1a still works by the way but TrueCrypt was plagued with issues left right and center to its core (core i mean source code) ...

CipherShed is another fork of TrueCrypt, and is cross platform, meaning you can run it on Linux (do not really know why you would want that unless you dual boot with Windows, since Linux offers encryption options depending on the distros), Windows and MacOS.

Now depending on your OS and what you want to do, aside from the top 2 options above, you can go with:

Symantec Endpoint Encryption (not freeware)
Diskcryptor (last release was in 2014)
Boxcryptor (still exists but haven't tried it at all)
Axcrypt (same as Boxcryptor comment)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
What you think about BitLocker?
can use it if you have professional/enterprise edition of Windows. You do however need to have Trusted Platform Module (TPM) for BitLocker...

8.1 did have a similar option called Device Encryption.

To be honest, I do not really see the need to encrypt your drive if you use it on a personal system and you are the only one who use it.

Sure, gives you more sense of security, but for what purpose if you are the only one using the system? Unless you are running a laptop with sensitive data/docs for your work, which again, most companies provide their own systems which are already encrypted and use specific vpns etc.

przemo_one

Level 3
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Just to clarify,
You need Windows Vista/7 Ultimate or Enterprise, not Professional to have BitLocker.
Windows 8.0/8.1 Pro/Enterprise and Win 10 any (?) have it.
TPM is optional or requaired (not sure) for system partition only. Any other can be encrypted without.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
@Huracan : I need a container encrypter (volume encrypter) on Windows 7. Truecrypt make encrypter container volumes that can be mounted and you can add your files into it. I need that. Axcrypt don't provid these feature.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@Huracan : I need a container encrypter (volume encrypter) on Windows 7. Truecrypt make encrypter container volumes that can be mounted and you can add your files into it. I need that. Axcrypt don't provid these feature.
VeraCrypt however, does provide the desired functionality of creating encrypted file system partitions, as you requested in your original post and in this comment of yours.
Also, it is explicitly stated in the AxCrypt homepage that AxCrypt is file encryption software - it does not allow for creation and maintenance of encrypted volumes.

Reactions: upnorth

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For sure this case was highly influence of cryto-ransomware era which why backup or fully encryption tool for protection. There's nothing wrong to use but assurance of maintenance where risks are low if you are the one using it.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.