Battle Best Anti-Executable in your opinion? - AppGuard, NVT ERP or VoodooShield ?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Which is the best anti-executable in terms of overall user experience:

interface
ease-of-use
features
compatibility
bugs
robust protection

Blue Ridge AppGuard (AG)
NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro (NVT ERP)
VooDooShield (VS)

My vote goes to NVT ERP.

AG - best (additional) protections
VS - features\innovation
NVT ERP - in day-to-day use, it has proven to be the most user/system friendly - especially on busy, changing system

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I would take both NVT ERP and Appguard. ERP for its excellent support and as you said, for general use it is very good. Appguard because it does shield against threats that are able to bypass traditional anti executable.

Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I would take both NVT ERP and Appguard. ERP for its excellent support and as you said, for general use it is very good. Appguard because it does shield against threats that are able to bypass traditional anti executable.

@Cch123

I haven't been able to get anything past ERP.

AG offers best protections, but I just don't like its UI.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my typical view and combination of testimonies then so far Appguard holds the true value of hardening protection; it requires a little bit patience and knowledgeable to obtain the setup.

Next will be NVT and Voodoshield which so much pretty effective to use and within complexity is tolerable.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
both programs are good but personally I prefer AppGuard I use it myself.
but it needs to be set up and spend some time on it and then you will be all right.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
SecureAPlus is a whitelist dealie plus AV (optional).

It whitelists everything upon installation, so install your malware afterwards. It takes some configuring to get it right; it isn't install-and-forget (though I think it is supposed to be). It's worth evaluating. I wish the website had more technical details (been a trend everywhere...lets just show pictures of models staring at a computer and smiling rather than actually talk about our product).

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I fear that once the freeware, stable NVT ERP is released, then it will slowly be abandoned by the developer.

In fact, I think that is what has been happening over the past 4 months or so...

I have nothing that confirms this as fact... just know what I have seen with other softs that are made freeware by developer.

What you think @Umbra ?

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
AppGuard really needs to implement command line and hash-bashed whitelisting. Whitelisting based on folders and executable file names is not my cup of tee. Suffice to say that some stuff still won't work with it. If they implemented that, I'd say AppGuard all the way.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
AppGuard really needs to implement command line and hash-bashed whitelisting. Whitelisting based on folders and executable file names is not my cup of tee. Suffice to say that some stuff still won't work with it. If they implemented that, I'd say AppGuard all the way.

You hit the nail right on the head @FleischmannTV. Same applies to VS in terms of command line white-listing.

The AG user-interface sucks - for example, have to copy-paste out of Activity Report to create exception folders, etc.

I think AG has the best protections, but it can be a pain to mess with the fine details... and no way to white-list command lines.

ERP has the best overall balance. I'm not sure if it still can be bypassed by malware via browser, etc.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
NVT ERP is best if you have printer, external drives - hardware in other words - since you can white-list any command lines needed to get that hardware to work. ERP is the most practical this way = protects system but allows user to config and use system.

Common sense, right?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I fear that once the freeware, stable NVT ERP is released, then it will slowly be abandoned by the developer.

In fact, I think that is what has been happening over the past 4 months or so...

I have nothing that confirms this as fact... just know what I have seen with other softs that are made freeware by developer.

What you think @Umbra ?

I observed the slowdown of development of ERP too, but the product is way too good to be abandoned, Andreas made it freeware because he realized that the incomes from it was not worth to be a paid product. I believe he made it free to reach a wider audience. many products are freeware and still alive , the devs just need to find something that make regular and stable incomes for them.

also we all know that ERP (and anti-executables like Appguard, etc...) is not a product for Average Joe but more a security geeks tools.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
security geeks
nlbn2yC76XIha.gif

heh​

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am giving a thought to Windows Defender + Windows FW + Anti-Executable on Win 10 64 laptop.

I tried AppGuard, NVT & Voodoo.

In my little test/experience online/offline with already installed programs/portable programs, etc... & new programs download/install & hamless samples, etc... -

Voodoo Shield - I find it easy of the 3. Very few popups compared to other 2. Allow/Block is easy i.e through popups. I am little confused, is it rules/policy, etc... plus 50 scanners Cloud results or Cloud results only? And does it uploads hash or full executables?

NVT - I find it gives many more popups compared to other 2. Allow/Block is easy through popups but needs multiple allow/block.

AppGuard - More popups compared to Voodoo & less popups compared to NVT. Allow/Block is not easy & needs manual config.

Of the 3 I find Voodoo Shield easy & better than the 2 for average users.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.