Best anti-malvertising programs and extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
For some recent articles on malvertising, see Malvertising Push Infects 288 Popular Websites and Large Angler Malvertising Campaign Hits Top Publishers

Frogboy suggests uBlock Origin. I appreciate that. I'm open to it. But I think has a learning curve, and I'm really busy now at this point in my life.

Malwarebytes of course recommends Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I have bought HItmanPro.Alert and WinAntiRansom, so I'm not buying MAE Premium. I don't know if MAE free is compatible with HitmanPro.Alert. (I'm not autorunning WinAntiRansom yet right now because it's very new, and after running it I think it needs some debugging.)

That Lavasoft Ad-Aware Web Companion that's on giveaway now?

In the infosecurity article it says: "The most common lure used in malvertisements to date has been fake Flash updates." I learned my lesson about those several years ago with one I encountered on YouTube. I got some kind of obscure media player that seemed to be malware. As long as it was on my system Opera and Chrome pages bounced and were unusable.

I seldom click on ads. I suppose what all this tells you if you find one that really interests you, before you click on it, you need to check it out with some sort of URL checker. Easy to do on Firefox, not so much on Maxthon.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 9.0.375.0
Firewall: ESET Smart Security 9.0.375.0
Default Browser: Maxthon

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think the uBlock origin is a very good idea, and it doesn't have a steep learning curve, if it even has a learning curve at all. Basically it's like a normal adblocker which prevents both malicious and normal ads from loading.

If you think that uBlock is still too much of a hassle then you can just keep your current configuration, I find that HMP Alert is a very good program to prevent exploits from webpages as well. I also agree that running malwarebytes anti exploit and HMP alert should not be run together as it will cause some issues with each other.

Lastly if you truly want a 100% secure environment when surfing the net, use a sandbox and sandbox your entire browser so whatever the webpage loads by it a drive by download or ads which link to an exploit, your computer will be safe once you flush the sandbox.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I use uBlock Origin with this settings (I also have Shadow Defender running just in case)
Capture.PNG

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I utilize FireFox and AdGuard Premium with a little MBAE on the side, I am not trying to be funny but I haven't seen an add in so long I forgot what they look like :)
and MBAE keeps the exploits (phishers) away.
Remember, layering too much can adversely effect, RAM, processor speed, and create some security issues, I am not saying don't layer, just in moderation.
PeAcE

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you Malware Tips comrades for your answers.

Lastly if you truly want a 100% secure environment when surfing the net, use a sandbox and sandbox your entire browser so whatever the webpage loads by it a drive by download or ads which link to an exploit, your computer will be safe once you flush the sandbox.

I forgot to post my specs, which I've remedied now. I once installed Sandboxie and it immediately put my PaleMoon browser into an unresponsive freeze that I could not budge. So I gave up on Sandboxie. Maybe I should have tried it with a different browser; I had a lot of tabs in my PaleMoon. Are there lighter alternatives to Sandboxie?

I thank Kate_L and Stas very much for loaning me their configurations of uBlock Origin. One filter I will not use is MVPS HOSTS. On a previous hard drive, I used to use jv Power Tools to populate my HOSTS file. I suffered misery with constantly being blocked from legitimate websites, like newegg, for example, and I would have to edit the HOSTS file and whitelist an intermediate website in order to get to my destination website. On my next hard drive, no more MVPS HOSTS through jv Power Tools, and I experienced no more of this being blocked from perfectly benign websites.

adding lots of filters can potentially slow down your browsing experience.

My experience with MVPS HOSTS causes me to be cautious about too many filters.

I will probably use uBlock Origin in the future, but now on this old system I need to use Maxthon because it's light enough for me. Maybe I will reconsider enabling AdBlock Plus there. It breaks the format of some websites, so that soured me on it.

Is there some kind of URL checker that's not specific to a browser? I use AdMuncher now. It's good, but it misses a lot of ads.

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
What about this option, a DNS that claims it will make you ad-free?

We remove ads, banners, and pop-ups on all websites – even YouTube will be free of advertisements
When your computer doesn't use power on loading advertisements your computer will load the website faster. When you don't load ads your computer won't risk exposure to viruses. Furthermore marketing companies won't be able to track your browsing whereabouts.

All you need to do is use NoAd's DNS servers. It might seem a bit complicated but it actually isn't. You can use our ad blocking service by running a small program – press the blue button in the top right corner. The program will automatically alter your browser settings to use NoAd's advertisement free DNS servers. The program will execute itself with no software installed. The only change will be your DNS settings and your ad free browsing experience. You can see our instructional video by pressing the top right black button. If you wish to make the change yourself visit our support page.

security-150x150.png

Security

Through time a lot of big and respected websites have unwillingly spread viruses to their visitors. It typically occurs when the advertiser has been infected with virus. The visited website unknowingly spreads the virus from the advertiser on to your computer. By using Noad's service you automatically avoid loading advertisements of all kind – which eliminates the threat of catching a virus.

anonymity-150x150.png

Anonymity

Most advertisements on websites collects the most information about you that they can. This includes browsing history, likes and dislikes and use of different services. By not loading advertisements you shut out the advertiser and thereby keep your personal information safe and with you – where it should be.

speed-150x150.png

Speed

When your computer doesn't use processing power on loading websites it'll display the website much quicker and with less power consumption. This essentially enables you to visit websites at a much faster speed – an added bonus is the ad free browsing experience

I like the possibilities of reducing browser resource usage, but I wonder if this would give me the same kind of problems as MVPS HOSTS?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
uBlock OriginThank you Malware Tips comrades for your answers.

I forgot to post my specs, which I've remedied now. I once installed Sandboxie and it immediately put my PaleMoon browser into an unresponsive freeze that I could not budge. So I gave up on Sandboxie. Maybe I should have tried it with a different browser; I had a lot of tabs in my PaleMoon. Are there lighter alternatives to Sandboxie?

I thank Kate_L and Stas very much for loaning me their configurations of uBlock Origin. One filter I will not use is MVPS HOSTS. On a previous hard drive, I used to use jv Power Tools to populate my HOSTS file. I suffered misery with constantly being blocked from legitimate websites, like newegg, for example, and I would have to edit the HOSTS file and whitelist an intermediate website in order to get to my destination website. On my next hard drive, no more MVPS HOSTS through jv Power Tools, and I experienced no more of this being blocked from perfectly benign websites.

I will probably use uBlock Origin in the future, but now on this old system I need to use Maxthon because it's light enough for me. Maybe I will reconsider enabling AdBlock Plus there. It breaks the format of some websites, so that soured me on it.

Is there some kind of URL checker that's not specific to a browser? I use AdMuncher now. It's good, but it misses a lot of ads.

Personally I think putting browsers in sandboxes would generally slow them down for a bit because new files have to be copied to the sandboxie folder for the browsers to function. However I have seen that the new Vivaldi browser is much quicker than most browsers in the sandbox.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
uBlock OriginThank you Malware Tips comrades for your answers.

Sandboxing your browser will definitely add some delay but not that much +5 seconds in browser startup depends on how man extension you have, whats causing the slow response probably one of your extension I've used Palemoon(bakc to firefox) had 10 extension, another cause "sometimes" is Adoble flash protected mode you can disabled it Add-on>Plugins.

There's nothing lighter than SBIE...

N

Noxx

ADGUARD will defend against malvertising, but I've noticed on a few occasions, particularly with searching for images, it'll miss some (but what program won't).

Reactions: conceptualclarity

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ublock Origin and Adguard extension both can help to eliminate malvertising/advertisement.

Adblockers nowadays are already concentrated on that analysis; then let your favorite security programs do the rest for web based threats.

For exploits; MBAE or Hitman Pro Alert may sufficient already however you don't need as long you keep the programs updated.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Ublock Origin and Adguard extension both can help to eliminate malvertising/advertisement.

Adblockers nowadays are already concentrated on that analysis; then let your favorite security programs do the rest for web based threats.

For exploits; MBAE or Hitman Pro Alert may sufficient already however you don't need as long you keep the programs updated.

Hello,
Can I use µBlock Origin + Adguard Windows running same time ?
Thanks for your help:)

Reactions: conceptualclarity

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Hello,
Can I use µBlock Origin + Adguard Windows running same time ?
Thanks for your help:)
You only need adguard if you're using multiple browsers that don't have the ublock plugin available(like internet explorer and edge).

Reactions: JB007

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
You only need adguard if you're using multiple browsers that don't have the ublock plugin available(like internet explorer and edge).

Thanks AlphaBeta:) But if both are running there will not be any conflict or issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.