Best Anti-Virus Solutions for Windows 7 SP1 Revealed

Kumaran

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2013
Best-Anti-Virus-Solutions-for-Windows-7-SP1-Revealed-460476-2.jpg

Windows 8 already comes with Windows Defender turned on by default, but as far as Windows 7 users are concerned, turning to a third-party software solution to protect their PCs is the only solution.

A new round of tests performed by German institute AV-TEST reveals that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) customers have a wide array of anti-virus solutions to choose from, some of which can provide maximum protection in most of the cases.

The July/August round of tests put Bitdefender’s anti-virus products on the first place, with a maximum score of 6 points out of 6 in all three main categories, namely protection, performance, and usability.

The same top score was also achieved by Kaspersky Lab, McAfee, Norton, and Bullguard, all of which managed to perform impressively well in this new test.

Free solutions not the best choice

If there’s anything important that can be seen in this chart is the performance of freeware anti-virus solutions, all of which obtained really disappointing scores in this new tests.

Panda Cloud Free is the software solution that scored the best in the free category, gaining 6 points for protection, 5.5 points for performance, and 5.5 points for usability.

Avira received 6, 4.5, and 6 points, respectively, while Avast did even worse and scored 3.5 points for protection, 4.5 points for performance, and 6 points for usability.

AVG Free, which is currently one of the top freeware solutions on the market with millions of downloads, is the freebie that’s ranked the worst, with 3.5 points for performance and protection, and 5.5 points for usability.

Microsoft’s Security Essentials again at the bottom of the pack

Unsurprisingly, Microsoft’s Security Essentials solution, which is available with a freeware license for those running Windows 7, performed really bad and received the second worst score after Norman.

MSE obtained 0 points for protection, 4.5 points for performance, and 6 points for usability. Of course, protection is the most important chapter, and given MSE’s score, some might obviously want to try out a different security solution.

Microsoft Security Essentials is available with a freeware license for users of all Windows versions before Windows 8. MSE has recently dropped support for Windows XP, while in Windows 8 the app has been improved and rebranded as Windows Defender.

Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender turned on by default, and the app is automatically disabled once the user deploys a third-party anti-virus product, no matter its name.

More....

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
i have used many of the programs that are tested and for some of them i can tell you for sure that the test isn't telling the truth. i leave protection section out but on performance come on eset so down the pack? i am using it right now and i must tell it's very light on my system and i don't have any slow down on my system which by the way is more than five years old.also when i was using avg free i didn't have any problem of performance.so my conclusion is i am watcing this tests but i don't believe them blindly;)

b91

Jan 16, 2014
If there’s anything important that can be seen in this chart is the performance of freeware anti-virus solutions, all of which obtained really disappointing scores in this new tests.

I think the free products of Qihoo, Panda and Comodo have pretty good scores in this test.
I still don't know what to beleive from this kind of tests... (AVG free scores better then AVG IS!!)
I would like to see some more in-depth reviews, not just some simple file detection tests (wich i think this test is)

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
I really don't believe in these results (money matters ) :rolleyes:
These tests are for me some kind of "recommendations".
As an antivirus i think Emsisoft is the best, but as an overall i think Comodo Internet Security is the best !
I choose to use best of both worlds, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Comodo Firewall.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I wonder when people finally wake up from their wet dream.
Tests are just tests, and while useful as a rule of thumb most of them do not test the whole program and they certainly do not take into account the many configurations that there are across the globe. A computer setup is almost as unique as a license plate.
So they use a common default config as a benchmark to work from. Yet additional security, performance and hardening measures are not taken into account. And as such some products might indeed provide a lower security then they are capable of.
The simple reason for this is that AV and IS products have never been made to replace Windows Core security features totally.
But they have been made to compliment, and harden the system to work in tandem with the available security solutions on a computer.

That being said: Kaspersky, Eset, Symantec, Sophos, Panda, Mcafee are by far the better premium ones and you really cannot go wrong with any of these brands, no matter what some user test or online test/review says. Anyone not capable of understanding this needs to wake up.
In terms of free programs Avast, Mbam, Avira, AVG, Emisoft (while it think AVG gets the benefit of the doubt here) are by far the best free solutions.

And personally call me a hard ass here or a mister know it all or even a arrogant prick but everyone has their own preferences and everyone has their own way of doing things and thats ok.
Yet one needs to realize that security is a very tricky thing, there are no prizes for runner ups and there is no second prize.
I am pretty sure that virtually all recognized AV brands will do a pretty good job in protecting you.
But if you want high grade protection, nearly childish easy to operate, No fuzz No Bs security solution and the ability to actually recover from a infection if something did get trough then brands above will provide that for you. Some cost you money some are for free, and while the free ones are good i said in a guide some time ago that free is not as good as premium for some very specific reasons other then detection and basic protection. But my point is there is a huge AV market with only a few really good AV brands, the rest are just so so and picking up the slack, usually they target the cheap, unknowing Internet user and the wannabe experts. But down the line its exactly those people that post a topic on a community like this one and ask for malware help as it turns out that their new Fang sue AV brand from some Nepalese firm did not perform as advertised...
Keep in mind that because your AV does not find anything during scans it does not actually mean that you are running a clean PC.
It just does not work like that...

Bottom line: If you do not practice the basic's required for running a safe windows and a safe Internet habit routine then none of these brands will do anything for you, however most of the premium ones mentioned above actually do have the capability to even correct most common mistakes and the background without leaving the user as exposed as their own online actions would justify.

I hope this gives a little more insight how things really go.

Kind Regards
Nico

Last edited:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
I used most of them, but Kaspersky seems to be the best choice of AV for me.

I don't trust this tests, but I trust in my xp with this products.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
"In terms of free programs Avast, Mbam, Avira, AVG, Emisoft?"
o_O

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
"In terms of free programs Avast, Mbam, Avira, AVG, Emisoft?"
o_O
http://www.emsisoft.com <<< Hint hint take a peek.
You telling me you do not know emisoft? O boy.. thats bad.
Its one of the smallest AV brands yet they have some serious good software.
And while not perfect, they a brand to watch...for some years now.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I know, but it's not free (only EEK)

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Panda Cloud Free is the software solution that scored the best in the free category, gaining 6 points for protection, 5.5 points for performance, and 5.5 points for usability.

360 Qihoo 17,5
Panda 17

:/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.