Best antivirus for home user

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks to Earth (http://malwaretips.com/User-Earth) for your guidance...

I'm almost frustrated (I'm not a computer genius) and this is my story:
I use PC TOOLS INTERNET SECURITY over 4 years. Unfortunately there is no way to get a new version for 2014. After recommendation, I downloaded the Bitdefender Trial and Norton 360 Trial, buy I am still confused.

I have 4 PCs (windows 7 home premium 64 bit x 3, windows 8 x 1) ready to install any trial for one month test, to check who really the best, even willing to pay for software that really do the trick.

Few days ago I opened a Facebook account in order to find together the best solution for 2014

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Best-Antivirus-2014/131211693738009

There is more people like me, with the same question. I'm sure. Help me get started ...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The way that I see it, you can buy a paid solution with the highest detection rate according to AV testing sites and still get infections if you don't watch your actions with downloading files, installing software and browsing the web. That is why I see no reason to pay for protection.

I have had customers who would buy Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, ESET, etc. and still have many active infections running on their systems. To myself that is proof that this is wasting money. Paid products can not guarantee you that they will offer any better protection than free products.

There are many freewares that can offer the same protection while using your own web knowledge.

You will just have to experiment until you find a good setup, of coarse AV's are just helpers they can not do all the work. You have to watch your own actions or all will fail you.

Once you learn how to use UAC, a secure browser, safe downloading and browsing. Windows Defender/MSE and Windows Firewall will be able to effectively protect you. If you still are not sure how to use basic knowledge, then Avast Free, FortiClient Light, Avira Free, Panda Cloud or AVG Free would be a good start.

If you want a free security suite that is user friendly then try ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall. If you want an advanced security suite with powerful protection features and are willing to learn how to use it then Comodo Internet Security is a good free option.

Just remember that an AV is just there to help you, it is much more important to watch your own actions. None will detect everything.

Enjoy!!:D

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
My suggestions:
Comodo internet security is the best according to me but it needs some interaction and essential knowledge to achieve best protection. It can prevent nearly 100% in that way.
Avast free 8 is another good choice if you are more novice. It's the most known antivirus at the time and most people are satisfied.
If you want to pay for protection and your PC is not old, Gdata IS, Kaspersky IS and Emsisoft antimalware are good solutions too.
Source: personal experience & some testing.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Littlebits said:
The way that I see it, you can buy a paid solution with the highest detection rate according to AV testing sites and still get infections if you don't watch your actions with downloading files, installing software and browsing the web. That is why I see no reason to pay for protection.

I have had customers who would buy Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, ESET, etc. and still have many active infections running on their systems. To myself that is proof that this is wasting money. Paid products can not guarantee you that they will offer any better protection than free products.

There are many freewares that can offer the same protection while using your own web knowledge.

You will just have to experiment until you find a good setup, of coarse AV's are just helpers they can not do all the work. You have to watch your own actions or all will fail you.

Once you learn how to use UAC, a secure browser, safe downloading and browsing. Windows Defender/MSE and Windows Firewall will be able to effectively protect you. If you still are not sure how to use basic knowledge, then Avast Free, FortiClient Light, Avira Free, Panda Cloud or AVG Free would be a good start.

If you want a free security suite that is user friendly then try ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall. If you want an advanced security suite with powerful protection features and are willing to learn how to use it then Comodo Internet Security is a good free option.

Just remember that an AV is just there to help you, it is much more important to watch your own actions. None will detect everything.

Indeed, Windows (8) Defender can block most malicious url's from various lists on the net that I tested and offer great removal capabilities. it's a pity it's not good at handling unknown malware. Also UAC does not create prompt for most samples that I try to run. Is there a difference in case a malware try to run without the user doing so?

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Littlebits said:

Littlebits you absolutely the best, the perfect answer ... I have enough free time now, I'm going to start my test.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No best solution for every version of security products but certain points that you can follow from our advice which known in being consistent positive feedback.

Since home user then we don't need a lot of heavy equipment since browsing habit is only your doing.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
in antivirus world, none is BEST, you can ask for only good antivirus softwares, there are some good antivirus softwares which are continuously performing really good, you have to watch some video review or test some trial versions yourself and see if you likes them or not.....
everybody have their own choices, and its your personal choice,
A may tell you AVAST is best,
B may tell Bitdefender Best,
C may tell Comodo...... all are good, but at the end you have to decide by yourself, most of the reputable antivirus softwares are good enough in their own way for average user , so test OR watch reviews and find out yourself.....

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
tapoo said:
in antivirus world, none is BEST, you can ask for only good antivirus softwares, there are some good antivirus softwares which are continuously performing really good, you have to watch some video review or test some trial versions yourself and see if you likes them or not.....
everybody have their own choices, and its your personal choice,
A may tell you AVAST is best,
B may tell Bitdefender Best,
C may tell Comodo...... all are good, but at the end you have to decide by yourself, most of the reputable antivirus softwares are good enough in their own way for average user , so test OR watch reviews and find out yourself.....

You 're right but there are differences in some cases. For example you can't say Emsisoft offers the same protection as Avast and MSE to the average user. It's better. I 've also tested them myself in vm. Better signatures/heuristics & better BB. If I am wrong please correct me xD

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can I ask how PC Tool Internet Security performed? What was your experience with the product for 4 years? Did you encounter any issues or FPs (false-detection of clean files)?

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
with

1.any reputed free antivirus+ firewall,
2.some common browser Extensions [adblocker, WOT, TrafficLight etc],
3.Panda USB Vaccine,
4.Some COMMON Sense,
5.Genuine Softwares [ free options are always not bad, DONT use Cracked softwares],
good enough for your PC safety....

there are so many good enough FREE options available except OS category for general users, they just have to buy only OS, and others needed softwares comes free....

malware may only come from 3 sources AFAIK....
1. Bad URLs
2. Pen Drive/ USB Drive etc.
3. Software cracks
thats how i defensed my PC last few years, and still no problem, from last 2 months i using Panda Cloud Free+ Online Armour free + Malwarebytes Free, and still faced no problem

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will add some information from tapoo's post.

Common sense is really best defense at all since your continously gathering analysis with warning signs.

Autorun can be turned off to avoid automatic execution but better to immunize to prevent future attacks.

For genuine software, highly recommended as possible are open source version aince its free already and developments activity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.